What the what???

Is there a lawyer in the house???

If so, here's a hypothetical... names are withheld to protect the guilty. Amounts are changed

I purchase an item of furniture from a retailer via their website. The cost of the item is 2,000. After completing the transaction, I follow their directions to print a copy of the invoice. The price on the invoice is 1,800. Yippee, I think. I see, however, that my credit card has been charged 2,000. So, I contact the retailer and tell them the invoice shows the cost as 1,800. They tell me they're going to check with their accounting department but they've gone home for the day.

The next day, I see they have changed the invoice online raising the price to 2,000 (but I still have the paper copy at 1,800). The thing is, the cost of the item itself is the same as it was on the earlier invoice... 1,800. Now, though, they've upped the price of the subtotal to make it 2,000 with no explanation of why.

When I speak to customer service, they tell me I should never have seen the lower price (though it's still on the online invoice) and my cost is 2,000.

I'm guessing I'm on the hook for the 2,000 if I still want the item, since that is what I agreed to pay originally. But changing the invoice after the transaction seems somehow fraudulent. Is it?
    Last edited by Opus51569; 1 Week Ago at 03:32 PM.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Suip....

Pooped a refrigerator.
    If you get charged the full $2000, file a dispute with your credit card company to have them refund the difference.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

a real member's member
    you're on the hook for $2k unless there was some sort of underlying contract about the cost being different than $2k.

for example, if a grocer under contract paid a distributor cost plus 2 percent, and the distributor lied about his actual cost, the grocer could file suit. this happened where i used to work and was the first nail in a bankruptcy and wholesale liquidation of one of the biggest grocery marketers in the u.s.

as for you, if you don't want the item for the cost you agreed to, just return it before it ships. most retailers won't charge a restocking fee.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Frog Whisperer
    This..... If you have a paper invoice, just send a copy with the dispute.
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    If you get charged the full $2000, file a dispute with your credit card company to have them refund the difference.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    This..... If you have a paper invoice, just send a copy with the dispute.
    Yup....

Paper vs Proof]
    Invoice Mistakes from Vendors

When you find a mistake on an invoice that a vendor has provided for you, correct the amount on your bill or payment stub and provide documentation of the correction when making your payment. Often, the mistakes are obvious and need little or no explanation, such as a price or quantity that contradicts the packing slip. When the mistake involves a large sum or requires additional explanation, call or email the company's bookkeeper to address the issue.
    How to Fix Invoice Mistakes | Chron.com
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    So, you paid $2k for something that you thought cost... $2k. Now you think you're owed a refund because of a typo on the invoice?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    So, you paid $2k for something that you thought cost... $2k. Now you think you're owed a refund because of a typo on the invoice?
    I'm firmly in dir-t's camp. Your agreed upon purchase price was $2,000. Who cares what their invoice, cost, transfer, wholesale, or whatever other price you didn't see at time of purchase was. Now, if you agreed to pay invoice + $0.02 cents...then you'd have a case. What if the cost of the item truly is or was $1,800. Do you think you should have gotten the item at cost?

Is there a lawyer in the house???-maxresdefault%5B1%5D.jpg

For the record, I abhore this woman.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

flinty-eyed moderator
    The sort of lawyer that would proffer advice on a $200 dispute on the Internet is probably the sort of lawyer you don't want to follow the advice of.

/not legal advice
    //not your lawyer
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not a lawyer but a retailer. You offered to pay 2K, the seller accepted your offer. They charged your credit card 2k. The invoice was an innocent mistake they remedied after you kindly brought it to their attention. You still offered to pay 2k right? You were happy to pay 2K right? They never accepted your offer of 1800 did they?

If you really feel aggrieved you could contact the sales manager and tell him your feelings and you're having thoughts of getting legal advice or taking the matter to the media. Maybe you'll get a discount or something off your next purchase but you won't be earning any karma. If your life is mistake free then maybe you don't need it.

Enjoy the product and know you did a good deed by not being a D bag about an innocent mistake.

What the what???

I paid 2k for something listed as 2k on the item’s landing page, but that their own invoice presented to me listed as 1800. When I asked them about it, they changed the subtotal to read 2k... but apparently it’s not a “typo” because the price still reads 1800 on their online invoice today. All they’ve done is add a new subtotal that bumps it up to 2k.

They said the 1800 price was one I wasn’t supposed to see (wholesale cost, maybe?) but it’s still right there in black and white. I get caveat emptor but they’re still advertising one price while charging another.

(btw, tax, shipping&handling, delivery, etc. are all separate and aren’t a factor in the price differential)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Opus51569; 6 Days Ago at 04:39 AM.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    The sort of lawyer that would proffer advice on a $200 dispute on the Internet is probably the sort of lawyer you don't want to follow the advice of.

/not legal advice
    //not your lawyer
    With the lownje, I am expecting the firm of “Dewey, Cheatem & Howe”...

What the what???

Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    Do you think you should have gotten the item at cost?.
    No. I think I should have gotten the item for the price they listed on their invoice (the receipt and confirmation of the transaction). Yeah... I know, right? What a loser... D-bag... etc.

Last edited by Opus51569; 6 Days Ago at 05:06 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    No. I think I should have gotten the item for the price they listed on their invoice (the receipt and confirmation of the transaction). Yeah... I know, right? What a loser... D-bag... etc.
    Unlike, Kiwisimon, I am not a retailer and hold no punches. I'm the first to fight for discounts. I regularly call my CC to take advantage of refund programs when I lose items, they break within 90 days, etc. I exercise my rights as a consumer.

I guess the issue becomes did I come to an agreement at $2,000 or does the invoice I received a day later reflect the contracted price. It seems like you left the store that day, shook at $2K, and were happy to get your merchandise. Was there no price out on the item at the store? Did you have to ask how much the item was selling for? I hate furniture stores as much as I hate mattress stores, and shop and neither, but if you shook at $2K...
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    If it bothers you that much send it back and ask for your 2k refund. If you haven't used it yet, and you think you're been played for a sucker because of the invoice, that's about all you have left. There is a saying in retail. "The customer is always right" and sometimes he's a right pain.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    but if you shook at $2K...
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    If it bothers you that much send it back and ask for your 2k refund. If you haven't used it yet, and you think you're been played for a sucker because of the invoice, that's about all you have left.
    True and true.

Ignorance is bliss. If I had never seen the lower price there wouldn't be an issue. I'll just have to try to unsee it.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 6 Days Ago at 06:55 AM.

a real member's member
    jfc..
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    jfc..
    Now, you know he'd be getting his money back.... I can hear it now:

"I died on a cross for you, and you're gonna screw me outta two-bills??? My furniture store... my furniture store... why hast thou forsaken me???"

Then he'd walk on water(beds) and Customer Service would fall all over themselves to make it right.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 6 Days Ago at 07:38 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    No. I think I should have gotten the item for the price they listed on their invoice
    This is the part I don't understand. You wouldn't have known that the invoice would be incorrect until after you paid the price listed on the website - which you were happy to pay in the first place.

It's like when you go to the grocery store and the clerk accidentally charges you for 22 oranges even though you only had 2 in your cart. You don't just HTFU and pay for the extra 20 because that's what the receipt shows.

What the what???
    This is the part I don't understand. You wouldn't have known that the invoice would be incorrect until after you paid the price listed on the website - which you were happy to pay in the first place.

It's like when you go to the grocery store and the clerk accidentally charges you for 22 oranges even though you only had 2 in your cart. You don't just HTFU and pay for the extra 20 because that's what the receipt shows.
    Didn't I let it go a few posts back??? I could've sworn I did...

But let's dispel one myth before it's perpetuated further. I don't think I've ever been "happy" to pay money for anything.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 5 Days Ago at 11:04 AM.