Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Welcome to the jungle

There May Be A Ninth Planet Beyond Pluto...

...aka 'Planet X' could be real after all.

From the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/21/sc...ond-pluto.html
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Rupert!
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Meh. I've been saying this for years.

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Meh. I've been saying this for years.
    Didja do anything like the astronomers in the article are to help track it down?
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Welcome to the jungle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    ...aka 'Planet X' could be real after all.

From the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/21/sc...ond-pluto.html
    Most likely some sort of death star. Await the invasion

xxl
    Have they already forgotten Planet Claire?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The question is planet X headed our way any time soon .

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Most likely some sort of death star. Await the invasion
    It's hella cold that far out. Maybe it's Hoth.

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by mapeiboy View Post
    The question is planet X headed our way any time soon .
    Is the pic in post #5 not showing up?

Pooped a refrigerator.
    It's hella cold that far out. Maybe it's Hoth.
    I think we should name it Jotunheim.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Interestingly, we have declared the Voyager 1 Spacecraft at 133AU (133x the distance from the earth to the sun) away to have left the solar system. Pluto orbits between 30 and 50 AU.

This planet is predicted to come no closer than 200AU away from the Sun and may be as far as 800AU (.012 light years) away. If so, it's little wonder that we've had a hard time seeing it.

30 mpdb
    It should be called Eurpeehol for planetary consistency.

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    Interestingly, we have declared the Voyager 1 Spacecraft at 133AU (133x the distance from the earth to the sun) away to have left the solar system. Pluto orbits between 30 and 50 AU.

This planet is predicted to come no closer than 200AU away from the Sun and may be as far as 800AU (.012 light years) away. If so, it's little wonder that we've had a hard time seeing it.
    Even if we find it, it's gonna be a b*tch getting a probe out to it, at those distances.

Gonna need some beefed-up version of those ion engines we used on the DAWN probe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

As a long time Pluto believer (I made an excellent Styrofoam 9 planet solar system in the 5th grade) the whole thing stinks. They kick out Pluto as the 9th planet for being too puny. Then all of a sudden we've got this predicted planet that no one can actually directly observe and is arguably beyond our solar system and everyone wants to give it planet status. I say put Pluto back in and make this wannabe rock wait in line

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    As a long time Pluto believer (I made an excellent Styrofoam 9 planet solar system in the 5th grade) the whole thing stinks. They kick out Pluto as the 9th planet for being too puny. Then all of a sudden we've got this predicted planet that no one can actually directly observe and is arguably beyond our solar system and everyone wants to give it planet status. I say put Pluto back in and make this wannabe rock wait in line
    Perhaps they are just offering it a path to planethood.

Welcome to the jungle
    Yeah, the whole 'Planet Nine' preliminary name for the alleged new kid on the block is a slap in the face to Pluto, come to think of it.

I like the prelim name 'Planet X' better, and it does have some historical precedent, as ppl have been trying to find a Planet X out beyond Neptune for over a century now (Pluto, planet or not, wasn't it).

Interestingly, one of the two guys who has found strong evidence for Planet X (Mike Brown) is also one of the guys most responsible for demoting Pluto from planet status. He even tweets under the handle 'plutokiller'.

Kinda tool-ish, if you ask me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, the whole 'Planet Nine' preliminary name for the alleged new kid on the block is a slap in the face to Pluto, come to think of it.

I like the prelim name 'Planet X' better, and it does have some historical precedent, as ppl have been trying to find a Planet X out beyond Neptune for over a century now (Pluto, planet or not, wasn't it).

Interestingly, one of the two guys who has found strong evidence for Planet X (Mike Brown) is also one of the guys most responsible for demoting Pluto from planet status. He even tweets under the handle 'plutokiller'.

Kinda tool-ish, if you ask me.
    I don't know. The discovery of Eris and other similarly large Kupier belt objects means Pluto isn't as special as we thought it was. This Planet X would be a lot more interesting, though I imagine we probably won't get a probe close enough to know much about it in my lifetime.

Welcome to the jungle
    I don't know. The discovery of Eris and other similarly large Kupier belt objects means Pluto isn't as special as we thought it was.
    Brown isn't a tool for helping demote Pluto (though I disagree with him on that), he's a tool for emphasizing/reveling in it to some extent, i.e. his Twitter handle.

This Planet X would be a lot more interesting, though I imagine we probably won't get a probe close enough to know much about it in my lifetime.
    Never say never... gravity assists plus big-ass ion engines would make for a wicked fast space probe (not c0de).

'course, we gotta find it, first.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Brown isn't a tool for helping demote Pluto (though I disagree with him on that), he's a tool for emphasizing/reveling in it to some extent, i.e. his Twitter handle.
    Can't blame the man for trying to get some publicity. Science is a tough game.

Welcome to the jungle
    Can't blame the man for trying to get some publicity. Science is a tough game.
    Eh, what does he want, his own reality TV show? This discovery alone, if it pans out, secures his scientific rep far better than being obnoxious does.

And if we wants fame, well, there's room for only so many 'famous astronomer/astrophysicist personalities' and 'space guys'. Neil deGrasse Tyson, Kip Thorne, Michio Kaku, Michelle Thaller, Elon Musk, Robert Zubrin, and former astronauts and the like have it pretty sewn up.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Pluto doesn't get to become a planet again simply because there is an unconfirmed planet candidate in the works.

If you'd like to see how they came to this conclusion, you can read their paper: EVIDENCE FOR A DISTANT GIANT PLANET IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM - IOPscience
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    Pluto doesn't get to become a planet again simply because there is an unconfirmed planet candidate in the works.

If you'd like to see how they came to this conclusion, you can read their paper: EVIDENCE FOR A DISTANT GIANT PLANET IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM - IOPscience
    I skimmed it yesterday, but the math is a little over my head (ha. the math is in a whole different universe than my brain).

I like the theory about how it might have come to be, and to be where it is. They think it might be a core similar to the ones that grew into the four gas giant planets. But unlike those four, which stayed within the original proto-planetary disc of gas and dust circling the sun, and thus were able to sweep up lots of matter and grow into giants, Planet Nine suffered some early orbital perturbation -- probably by passing too close to one of the others -- and got kicked out into this big wild orbit.

That's one theory, anyway. It's also interesting that on a larger scale this may be a very common type of planet. A great many of the exo-planets that have been discovered are of this intermediate size: several times larger than Earth, but much smaller than a gas giant.

As for Brown reveling in his Pluto-killing fame, I love it. Pluto sentimentalists don't understand how science works, or have a deficient sense of humor, or both. The whole Pluto "controversy" has been a great stimulation to education about astronomy. Definitions change as science advances. I memorized the nine planets' names about 60 years ago. So now we say there are eight, because that makes more sense. I also memorized kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species. But guess what, that's wrong too. Taxonomy is way more complicated than that, with sub- and super- families, genera, species, etc. And even the basic two "kingdoms" (plants, animals) is way wrong.

Pluto, even if we now classify it as a "dwarf planet" is a mighty interesting object, as the New Horizons spacecraft has recently shown. I don't feel bad for it at all.
    There May Be A Ninth Planet Beyond Pluto...-pluto-main-4.jpg
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

Welcome to the jungle
    Strangely, I want to kick Mike Brown in the nutz even more now, not less.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Eh, what does he want, his own reality TV show? This discovery alone, if it pans out, secures his scientific rep far better than being obnoxious does.
    More notoriety means more people reading his papers, which means more cites, which means more offers to publish in the future and better journals to be published in. That could mean more access to assets like the Hubble to further his work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast