Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good news everyone!

Thermostat fail, or "Damn it's cold in here."

It's been hot in the afternoons lately, so I set the thermostat to 77 during the day, and 75 at night once I get home. This morning I woke up and thought "Damn, it must have gotten cold as hell outside last night, it's freezing in here!" So I checked the thermostat and it had set itself to 45 degrees! There has been a red light on the thermostat lately that says "EMER" which I assume normally stands for the emergency heat/cool mode. It flickers on and off even when the AC unit isn't running. It just recently started with the light.

So anyway, the thermostat that came with the house looks like the original one, so it's from 99, probably time to be replaced. I'm just wondering whether I should get a programmable one, or just go with something cheap, and if one brand is more desirable than another.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    It's been hot in the afternoons lately, so I set the thermostat to 77 during the day, and 75 at night once I get home. This morning I woke up and thought "Damn, it must have gotten cold as hell outside last night, it's freezing in here!" So I checked the thermostat and it had set itself to 45 degrees! There has been a red light on the thermostat lately that says "EMER" which I assume normally stands for the emergency heat/cool mode. It flickers on and off even when the AC unit isn't running. It just recently started with the light.

So anyway, the thermostat that came with the house looks like the original one, so it's from 99, probably time to be replaced. I'm just wondering whether I should get a programmable one, or just go with something cheap, and if one brand is more desirable than another.
    All about the same...just get one with the features you need.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Good news everyone!
    I think I might get this one. The reviews on it are either amazing or complete crap. Hard to put any faith in internet reviews it seems.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_276471-79-44860_4294821951_4294937087_?productId=1078819&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Programmable%2BThermostats_429482 1951_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_price|0%26page%3 D1

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the convenience of the programmable. Living in the south too, it's nice to have the AC come on a bit before we come home & kick to a lower temp around 1-2am when I seem to get the hottest at night.
    I'm not crazy about the one in my current house, no backlight, only 4 programs/day, it doesn't track usage or hours on the filter, & it seems to go through AA batteries (I am using rechargeables).. It came with the house, and I haven't felt like spending the ~$50 for a new one. The one I bought for the previous house was a Hunter or honeywell, whatever was cheaper, as I didn't want to spend $100 for one.

recommendations- backlight is nice, if it's in a dark spot. Nice to have be able to customize programs for each day (for us), since my wife is home part of the week -compared to just weekdays + weekend programs.
    Last edited by logbiter; 04-13-2011 at 06:29 AM.

Good news everyone!
    Hey log, I saw this review online and thought maybe it might pertain to you. Maybe your "C" wire or ground isn't hooked up properly?

I am a license Htg. & A/C contractor and we use this thermostat a lot. Most people don't realize the c terminal is just a common ground for the thermostat only, it has no other function other than to ground the circuit board inside the stat. The stat will work without it being wired up but will operate the lighted displays with the batteries only if not wired. Wiring this terminal back to the ac or heat unit will allow the thermostat to work without batteries but you need the batteries in the stat in case the power goes off, then it won't lose it's program. Replace batteries annually!! This is what causes most program problems. When batteries are ignored , they run down, the power flips off for a short period and the program is lost. Conprenda????

RoadBikeReview Member
    this looks like the Hunter I had, that I liked.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-44550-7...pr_product_top

Though now I'm looking at this honeywell. Dammit, I don't need to be spending any money!

Good news everyone!
    I am looking at that Honeywell also, it looks nice and sounds a lot more advanced than some of the others. This review was interesting.

Honeywell makes a very large line of programmable electronic thermostats. At first glance, this particular thermostat has nothing to distinguish it from any other programmable tstat from your local hardware store. (7-day programming, +/- 1 degree accuracy, etc.) However, this thermostat has some functions that make it quite a bit better. I've had RiteTemp's and Lux tstats, and this one is much better.

Most electronic thermostats kick on the system when you are one degree under, and then run it until you are one degree over. This (and all Honeywell electronic tstats) instead target a certain number of cycles per hour (based on system type), and try and hold the temperature as constant as possible. Since I installed this a few days ago, it has not budged off of the setpoint.

Another cool feature is the recovery feature. Basically, it measures how quickly your house is losing heat (or warming up, in the summer), and kicks on the system at the correct time so it is at your setpoint right at the time you program. This eliminates guessing how long it will take your house to heat so it will be toasty when you get home at 6PM. Instead, you just set the tstat for 6PM and let it figure out the rest

RoadBikeReview Member
    thanks! not my issue, as mine doesn't have a backlight. There's really no reason I can figure that it should be going through batteries, but it does. The hunter I had, I changed maybe yearly, over 7-8 years.
    I've just put those 2 I linked to on my amazon wishlist, got a birthday coming up soon. LOL.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am looking at that Honeywell also, it looks nice and sounds a lot more advanced than some of the others. This review was interesting.
    that review caught my eye too!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Just get a cheap programmable one. I like the ones with batteries because most of the time the person who ran the wire didn't run enough wires to hook up the ground (c) wire...

Moderatus Puisne
    Cold?

Don't you live in Florida?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dude, it was like 62 degrees here in south Louisiana this morning!
    I almost froze in my shorts, short sleeves n keen commuters riding in this morning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Check your thermostat for a battery. My wifes moms furnace wasn't kicking on and she paid an HVAC guy 75 bucks to come and replace a AA battery.

I like the programmable ones, I'm not even sure who makes the one we have but it does the job. We're gone working all day so we have it kick down then and also at night to save some energy costs.

Good news everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius
    Cold?

Don't you live in Florida?

I knew it was only a matter of time before somebody chimed in with this response

At least I know my AC works good!

Good news everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie2Ba
    Check your thermostat for a battery. My wifes moms furnace wasn't kicking on and she paid an HVAC guy 75 bucks to come and replace a AA battery.

I like the programmable ones, I'm not even sure who makes the one we have but it does the job. We're gone working all day so we have it kick down then and also at night to save some energy costs.

I replaced the batteries when we moved in in December, but maybe I'll give that a try. I just don't really trust the damn thing at this point, and the flickering "EMER" light is a little disconcerting.

Diphthong
    I just installed a Filtrete 7-day programmable thermostat with a touch screen. It works pretty well. I paid around $60 and had no issues with the install.

I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of $hit, man.

Good news everyone!
    The install is basically hooking up 5 or 6 wires right? I'm assuming I can fumble my way through it but it doesn't seem too terribly difficult.

Diphthong
    The install is basically hooking up 5 or 6 wires right? I'm assuming I can fumble my way through it but it doesn't seem too terribly difficult.
    That's the number of wires that I had. The model I bought had pretty straight forward directions depending on how many wires you had coming out of the wall.
    I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of $hit, man.

Good news everyone!
    I'm hoping they're all color coded and if not it should be pretty apparent which wires go where.

Moderatus Puisne
    One of the few "modern" things my house has, is a programmable thermostat... connected to a 40-year-old boiler and original radiant heat!

I didn't even think about the AC kicking on, Jim.

I usually only see those two letters, followed by a little lightning bolt, then, DC!

Beetpull DeLite
    My advice - get a 5/2 day programmable one, rather than 7. Cheaper and I've seen no reason to use the full 7 day stuff unless you work weird weekly shifts.

Also, make sure it has a 'hold' button. I've seen some that don't and couldn't believe it. The cheap 5/2 day Honywell RTH230B1006 does not.

Here's what I'd buy, Lowe's has this one, too: http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RTH6...2710981&sr=8-1

PS: Check with electric & gas companies, some give rebates for installation of these things.

Honey Smack!
    Be careful on some of the programmable ones if you have a heat pump.

If you try to step up more than 2-3 (2 for my model) degree's it will turn on the heat strips which will seriously up your power usage.

Probably not as much of an issue if you are on gas.
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, I love a warm house but never put it above 71 degrees.

We got a Trane and I like it. Will see how the a/c works in a few months. Fun being able to program it for different times of day, although I'm often "overriding" whatever the current temp is at.

Good news everyone!
    Girch I am not sure about that 5/2 unit you linked to. I have auxillary heat on my unit, and I don't think that one is compatible? Since I live in a warm climate I think I have an AC unit that reverses itself to heat, and has an auxillary heat strip as well. I'm not sure that one will work?

Good news everyone!
    One thing about the programmable stats is that we will probably often override it, because my girlfriend often works weird shifts, either 6 AM to 3 PM or 2 PM to 10:30 PM and often has days off during weekdays. I work M-F so I'm sure she will override it frequently. She prefers a much warmer house than me, though, so my "away from the house" settings may actually be comfortable for her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast