RoadBikeReview Member

They don't make 'em like this any more (guitar content)

Been chasing after one of these since high school. Found one on eBay who must have been the guy snagging the few final Steinbergers before US production stopped completely.

It's hard not to think of the 80's with headless guitars and basses. Then gain, I've seen about half a dozen beheaded Gibsons in my day.

It's not heavy, but one would expect such a small guitar to be a little lighter than it is. The Steinberger gig bag is about the size of a tennis racquet. If'n I ever play guitar in a band, it would seem easy to lug one of these around. I'm also eager to NOT have to adjust the composite neck in my local climate extremes.

The unique thing about this particular guitar is that it has a transposing trem that can be locked in a few set tunings. G, F#, E standard, D, C, and B. Adjusting this system is a bit complex. I briefly compared it to my 7 string guitar. The thicker B string sounds beefier. It's still neato to be able to change tunings like that on the fly.

T K
    wasssabi
    Oh ya, in HS I wanted a Stienberger bass sooo bad. The little headless black one. But then Nikki Sixx became my hero and I wanted a BC Rich Warlock somthin' fierce. Nice score!

Alien Musician
    Always wanted one of those Steinbergers with the strat shaped body, EMGs and a transtrem. I could never ended up with one because they were always so darned expensive.

I ended up with a different brand guitar sort of a prs-meets-shred machine with EMGs, set neck and that has been my #1 darned near 22 years now:

Still, if I ever find one of those Steinie guitars I'll probably just stick with that. They're not easy to find these days and the strings aren't too easy to find either.
    my music is online at aliensporebomb dot com yes indeed.
    my twitter for those bored: http://www.twitter.com/aliensporebomb

RoadBikeReview Member
    What kind of guitar is that? I feel like I should know and it's on the tip of my tongue, but I'm coming up with nothing.

Strings are impossible to find locally but not too hard to find online. As a primarily 6 string bassist, I soon realized I'd be buying strings online. It just means being prepared and proactive.

I was lucky enough to find this one in new condition. I certainly paid through the nose.

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you View Post
    It's hard not to think of the 80's with headless guitars and basses.
    As more-or-less a bass retrogrouch who started playing in the 80's, I've always secretly wanted a headless Status 4-string. Bonus points for a clear carbon finish and LED markers (that'd be later than 80's, but if you're gonna do it...). Cool that you got one on the 'list'.

BTW, had an early 90's Modulus 5-string (carbon neck, no truss rod) for a few years and the neck was always perfect. Near Chicago, so weather is crazy here too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Status now makes their Streamline model, which has a bit of an L bass shape.

I've played a few Modulus basses in my day. Great bass and one of the best low B strings on the market.

My particular Steinberger has a truss rod. It isn't so much that they need one, but some players decided they'd rather have one than not when it came to dialing in the neck relief to their preferences.

still shedding season
    My particular Steinberger has a truss rod. It isn't so much that they need one
    IIRC my Modulus was a '94, and some time later they added a truss rod for the same reason. However, mine had about the best action of any bass I've ever played, every day of the week and every week of the year...

I don't think you'll be adjusting it like you might with others where you're at, was my point - be interested from a geeky perspective if you did though. My '86 Stingray freaks out just a little every spring. The Lakland needed 1/8 of a turn when it was about 8 years old. Both single-piece bolt on maple, though the Lakland has graphite bars routed into it. Well hidden from sunlight!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll keep y'all posted. I suspect there will be a bit of a learning curve with setting it up to handle several tunings, which isn't something I normally do.

Most of my gear does alright. I found on bass that gaboon ebony (the jet black stuff) is about the worst with regards to the winter/summer freakouts. It's less pronounced on guitars and much less dramatic with macasser ebony. Nebraska is simply too humid during the summer and bone dry during the winter. I do have plans on building a sealed guitar closet in an attempt to control things a little tighter.

My most stable neck is a Conklin bass with a 5pc quartersawn/bubinga neck with a Dymondwood fingerboard. It has barely budged over the 5 years I've had it and the action is so low that any changes would be easy to notice. It's also extremely durable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Still fairly sick and have barely had any time to play this one yet. Tuned it up yesterday before I got called in at work.

I only had a little time to plug it into my bass amp. The sound if fairly plain. The onboard EQ helped. It's not hard to tell that these were more or less built to be very processed. It's probably the qietest guitar I've ever played.

I still need to set it up and get straplocks installed and probably find a shorter strap for this particular one due to the body size. With medium action, the stainless steel strings feel fairly harsh, but this is coming from years on bass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Finally had some time to play it.

The trem transposes to 8 different positions standard (with the ability to lock the trem), and lock up 1.5 steps, +1 step, (open), down 1, 2, and 2.5 steps. My strings are 0.009-0.46 (hybrids). It transposes nicely up 1 and 1.5 steps and down 1 step. 2-2.5 steps are a bit floppy and not so useful. I'd think much heavier strings might work better for transposing a lot lower. I'd probably lose the ability to transpose up if I switch to those strings.

your god hates me
    I had a Steinberger GM-4T guitar briefly in the mid-1990s. Essentially the same model as the one pictured only the neck pickup was also a single-coil, and mine was black, didn't have the gorgeous cherry sunburst or flamed wood.

Mine also had a problem that turned out to be insurmountable: The cavity that the TransTrem was routed into was somehow warping, which caused more friction than the system was designed for and hence it wouldn't always return to pitch. Which kinda defeats the purpose of a TransTrem...or any whammy bar, for that matter. I had three different guitar techs try to fix it and none could come up with an elegant & affordable solution, so I ultimately wound up selling it.

Just as well, since I'm primarily a bass player
    ...and I still have an original Steinberger L-2 bass, as well as a Modulus Graphite Quantum-6 SPX.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Interesting. Was it covered by warranty at the time? Not that that would help me now.

your god hates me
    Interesting. Was it covered by warranty at the time? Not that that would help me now.
    Zombie reply! No, I had bought the guitar second-hand, so no warranty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Every Guitar Store Guitarist ever.

https://youtu.be/eNLL_SyXNJA

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a Stienberger built in the Newburg shop. I bought it used but like new with the R trem and a Moses graphite neck.

I haven't played it in ages as I also have a Parker Fly Dlx and that is so light and easy to play.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Zombie reply! No, I had bought the guitar second-hand, so no warranty.
    Gotcha. I almost forgot about this thread. I eventually figured out how to work with the TT. Calibrating after string changes is still a royal pain in the arse and probably why it wasn't popular.

Not Banned
    Kiesel Guitars still builds headless guitars. I think they bought all the Steinberger patents.
    Model is called the Vader. You order them how you want them

V6 KIESEL VADER HEADLESS ELECTRIC GUITAR | KieselGuitars.com
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Not Banned
    The Rhythm Player in my band had a white GR4, I HB, 2 single coils

Not Banned
    as a second note, we're lamenting 'vintage' instruments from the 90s. The newest guitar I own was built in the mid 80s

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    Kiesel Guitars still builds headless guitars. I think they bought all the Steinberger patents.
    Model is called the Vader. You order them how you want them

V6 KIESEL VADER HEADLESS ELECTRIC GUITAR | KieselGuitars.com
    Most of the Steinberger patents have expired maybe 10+ years ago. They're using new Hipshot Hardware. Bummer that nobody has been able to copy the Trans Trem, although there are now a lot of pedals to transpose tuning.

Not Banned
    on a related note. I know Steve Klein. He was responsible for the Kleinberger. His acoustics are amazing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails They don't make 'em like this any more (guitar content)-screen-shot-2017-06-16-7.17.57-pm.png  

Not Banned
    spoke with my former band mate
    he may be selling his
    I will keep everyone posted