RoadBikeReview Member

Thinkin 'bout a video camera...

for NNCing.

Mostly for evidence or whatever in an accident (ok, collision). I pretty much follow all the laws (that I know about) when NNCing so if I get hit, I'm assuming it's most likely gonna be the other person's fault.

I'm not worried about size of the video files, since I'm probably gonna be deleting them if nothing happens, so I'd like one that records w/ as much detail as possible. I'm hoping I can find one that can catch license plate numbers but that may be too much to ask.

I'd want one that does ok in the dark (mostly dark) cause a lot of my NNCing is gonna be at night since it's freakin winter again. Oh and it'd need to be waterproof, for the same reason.

I'm not sure about focus, do most of them do that automatically?? I have no idea how that works on a video camera.

I'm thinking about the vholdr/contour hd/whatever that one is. Or something similar. Does anyone have one like that and use it for the same thing??
    Whoever is running her foot up my leg, I love you.

New Tour de Cure support link thing!! HERE!

corning my own beef
    V.I.O. POV1.
    But the camera can pnly look in one direction, so unless you can accurately predict where that car is going to come from, its utility will be somewhat limited.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Woah... Iunno, that seems a little spendy...

Is it really that much different from most of the other ones?? Besides the vid. screen?
    Whoever is running her foot up my leg, I love you.

New Tour de Cure support link thing!! HERE!

Steaming piles of opinion
    I don't know much about it, but I've had the same sorts of thoughts. I'm thinking helmet mount is your best bet. You are probably asking a lot for anything to both catch 'everything' and be able to read a plate unless you intentionally made the shot. That is, hoping that the po-po would be able to sort out a hit-and-run from any of them would be a minor miracle - though it'd help alot with make, model, and the facts of what happened.

Just make sure you don't roll stops while wearing.

I've been thinking about this class of machine:
    http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/507195.html
    http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/507195.html

Waterproof, VGA quality most of the time, will pop a 5meg still with the touch of a button, somewhere in the $100-200 range. Seems like an approximately realistic compromise.

Just a thought.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Seat's not level

This thing is crap. Got one last year for christmas. Can't really tell what you are capturing until you are home and download to find out you were 3 feet high or low from what you wanted to get.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by MWPDX
    Woah... Iunno, that seems a little spendy...

Is it really that much different from most of the other ones?? Besides the vid. screen?
    I just know that it offers a lot more recording options than other choices: shutter speed, resolution, recording protocol, different recording modes, sound options, etc.

I haven't seen any other choices that can match the quality of the video. That's NOT to infer that I've seen every other choice that's available out there... I have not.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain

This thing is crap. Got one last year for christmas. Can't really tell what you are capturing until you are home and download to find out you were 3 feet high or low from what you wanted to get.
    That makes sense...

On the other hand, if you are looking at a viewfinder to ensure you've captured the shot... Whatever movie you make may well be distributed to youtube posthumously.

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1
    That makes sense...

On the other hand, if you are looking at a viewfinder to ensure you've captured the shot... Whatever movie you make may well be distributed to youtube posthumously.
    Indeed it DOES make sense. Last year I caught myself coasting down a hill with the recording unit (with LCD display) in one hand -- looking intently at the tiny screen right in front of my face, and the other hand twisting the helmet-mounted lipstick cam, trying to adjust the horizon. It was then that I realized that NEITHER hand was on the bars. oops....

however, I would certainly not trade that unit for one with no viewing screen / playback.

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

Shirtcocker
    My kid just got one of these to make skateboard vids with...seems to work well. Shoots HD and you can also plug it directly into HDMI. Also note the new Ipod Nanos now shoot video. Not sure of the quality though.

http://www.theflip.com/products_flip...e=sceneUltraHD
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    My kid just got one of these to make skateboard vids with...seems to work well. Shoots HD and you can also plug it directly into HDMI. Also note the new Ipod Nanos now shoot video. Not sure of the quality though.

http://www.theflip.com/products_flip...e=sceneUltraHD
    Those look like general-use fun, but I wonder about
    1)mounting
    2)water resistance and other 'survivability' factors.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1
    Those look like general-use fun, but I wonder about
    1)mounting
    2)water resistance and other 'survivability' factors.
    I think it's pretty rugged and you can get a waterproof case as an option for it. It has a tripod mount so I imagine you could find a way to attach it to a bike if you wanted. They also make a slightly smaller model--if I was going to mount one to a helmet I'd probably want something pretty small though. This would be too large for that most likely.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

I want a Road Bike :)
    like the flip, but weather resistant

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...ctID.145117100

A video camera that’s fearless

• Designed with action and adventure in mind, the Zx1 is resistant to rain, snow, sand, dirt and more so you can get in the action without fear of damaging your camera
    • Rubberized doors protect all the ports and the stainless steel panel gives strength with good looks
    • Certified for protection rating IP43 (learn more)

Do more cool stuff with essential accessories

• Handy remote control makes it easy to record yourself and comfortably watch your videos on your HDTV
    • Great cases help keep your Zx1 close so you never miss the moment
    • Use a tripod to keep your video steady or star in your own show
    • Mount your camera on your bike handles or helmet and catch a new perspective
    poast count +1
    But .... a long NNC session and jerkin' the gherkin to some old-school pr0n... not necessarily in that order. Much cheaper than H&B. JustTooBig
    mtymxdh is right... you have been scammed my dear. Creakyknees