Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Tip on take out / pick up food?

I don't ever tip when picking up dinner from a resturant to take back home to eat. I think the tip should be for the service staff. I was picking up Chinese food the other night with a buddy to bring home and he took a strip off me for not leaving a tip. I said I did not use the service. Anyway this started a whole dinner conversation between the familys with it split right down the middle of who tips on take out and who does not. I had never even considered it before.
    What say you all?

Who needs a map?
    For take out I'll usually leave a couple dollars instead of a percentage (same as when I get delivery). They didn't wait on me but I figure it's good karma and if I was making a living on tips I'd appreciate it.
    "If we're to be honest with ourselves, achieving the end of the exercise was never the point of the exercise, was it?"
    ~Adam Savage

ReviewBikeRoad Member
    I tip a buck or two on takeout.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Not required but if it's a place I frequent, I might tip a buck or two if I have any change on me.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Apparently I under-tip people. But no, I wouldn't tip for takeout unless I got a buck or two in change from 'em.

For reference, I tip 15% at sit-down places (rounded up to the nearest dollar), $1 per drink at a bar, and rarely at any kind of LBS type store.

half-fast
    A buck or so in the jar if they make good food for me. Pouring coffee in a cup is not a tippable event.

I probably overtip the delivery guy from the pizza joint, but my stuff is always on time, hot, and in good shape when it gets here, so maybe I tip just right.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I usually leave a little something. Not like I would for dining in but some places divide take-out tips among the kitchen staff which, even though you don't get to see it directly as with waitstaff, they do appreciate. I don't think there's anything wrong with not tipping on take-out orders though. It's just my preference in most cases to leave a little.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    No tip for take out. I was initially surprised when I paid for a take-out pizza with my credit card and found a line to include a tip. There was no table service, just the counter clerk who brought my pizza from the shelf to the counter and processed my payment. It would be like tipping a McDonald's server. Oh wait, maybe somebody tips them?

Moderatus Puisne
    Can't remember the last time I got take-out food, off the top of me head.

But, roughly, buck or two if it's take-out from a restaurant where you would otherwise get table service. Nothing from a place where you'd order at the counter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    About the only time I get carry out it is sushi or my favorite lunchtime chinese restaurant. These are both typically sit down places, but they do a fair bit of carry out as well . I leave 10% in both cases.

I am pretty faithful about repeat business for the few carryout restaurants I use. I'm picky about carryout, because the food I make at home is typically better than most restaurants. So I'm willing to reward good work.
    - Character is what you are in the Dark - Dwight L Moody & Dr Emilio Lizardo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nope. Nobody even did any work - there was no service, so nothing to tip for. I used to work for tips, but never expected them to fall out of the sky for things I didn't do. Would I have appreciated them, sure, but I'd also appreciate if anyone just gave me money for nothing in any context.
    Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

Always changing.....
    Where my daughter works (she is in HS), all tips for food pick-up go into the till which does not come back to staff.

Moderatus Puisne
    Quote Originally Posted by lot8con8 View Post
    Where my daughter works (she is in HS), all tips for food pick-up go into the till which does not come back to staff.
    Is that... legal?

Banned forever.....or not
    Not a penny.

Next, you'll be tipping at McDonalds.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Fecal indicator
    I used to think a tip for take-out was unwarranted, but the few times I did add $1 at my fave pizza place, the counter person thanked me in a very sincere manner.

figured that it was worth a buck to have a pleasant interaction with another human. so, I do it routinely now and it seems to get noticed and appreciated.
    eff all y'all...

Do what he say!
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius View Post
    Is that... legal?
    I don't think so. In fact there was a large class action lawsuit a couple years ago against several large restaurant chains (chilis was one of them) based on forced tip-sharing. I don't remember the details but it had something to do with how the wait staff was forced to pay part of their tips to the bartenders/hosts/bus boys etc.

I tip just about anywhere if it's even a question (assuming and based on quality of service), but then I also waited tables/bartended for 6 years. I think anybody who tips less than 20% (for good service at a sit down place) should be forced to wait tables for a month before being allowed to dine out. It's a job that you will NEVER fully appreciate until you've done it.
    I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

No go away, or I shall taunt you a second time.

ReviewBikeRoad Member
    I don't get takeout often enough to even think about if I should leave a dollar or not, I just do it. It's going to be like $15 per YEAR. I don't need to sit there and consider if they've earned it or not, who that one dollar may go to or whatever.

However, I always tip at my local coffee place just down the block from my house. They know me and what I like. So I'll leave a tip even if I'm just getting a drip coffee because I ran out of coffee at home.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We only get take out at a couple of places and know several of the staff at each. When we eat there they take very good care of us so if we get take out we always leave a few bucks.

Moderatus Puisne

Regional differences

On the West Coast, "tipped" employees receive some of the same highest-in-the-nation minimum wages that non-tipped ones do.

So, in Washington, you're earning over $9 / hour regardless of whether you are a server or busser or bag boy or tree-hugger.

I typically tipped, but if the service was only average, not very much. I don't see why a server at Applebee's is due that much more money than a lot attendant, gas pumper, or bagger (erm, "courtesy clerk."). All are fast-paced, moderately physically demanding, relatively thankless jobs.

In Minnesota, a small restaurateur can pay like $5 / hour. I am curious what the custom is here.

Quote Originally Posted by texasnewb View Post
    I don't think so. In fact there was a large class action lawsuit a couple years ago against several large restaurant chains (chilis was one of them) based on forced tip-sharing. I don't remember the details but it had something to do with how the wait staff was forced to pay part of their tips to the bartenders/hosts/bus boys etc.

I tip just about anywhere if it's even a question (assuming and based on quality of service), but then I also waited tables/bartended for 6 years. I think anybody who tips less than 20% (for good service at a sit down place) should be forced to wait tables for a month before being allowed to dine out. It's a job that you will NEVER fully appreciate until you've done it.

Do what he say!
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius View Post
    On the West Coast, "tipped" employees receive some of the same highest-in-the-nation minimum wages that non-tipped ones do.

So, in Washington, you're earning over $9 / hour regardless of whether you are a server or busser or bag boy or tree-hugger.

I typically tipped, but if the service was only average, not very much. I don't see why a server at Applebee's is due that much more money than a lot attendant, gas pumper, or bagger (erm, "courtesy clerk."). All are fast-paced, moderately physically demanding, relatively thankless jobs.

In Minnesota, a small restaurateur can pay like $5 / hour. I am curious what the custom is here.
    In Texas, and several other states I believe, "tipped" wait staff bring in a
    whopping $2.13/ per hour. If you leave enough of your tips undeclared you might get lucky and receive $5 paycheck every two weeks.
    I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

No go away, or I shall taunt you a second time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Lucky for me there is no decent (authentic) take-out where I live. The hipster/hater coffee shop by where I volunteer occasionaly gets a dollar tip when I stop in.
    I did the waiter/bartender thing a few decades ago. Just like anything else, some people clean-up (tips), while others just get by.

Moderatus Puisne
    Yeah... You can't live on that.

Quote Originally Posted by texasnewb View Post
    In Texas, and several other states I believe, "tipped" wait staff bring in a
    whopping $2.13/ per hour. If you leave enough of your tips undeclared you might get lucky and receive $5 paycheck every two weeks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Most times I would not tip for take out unless it was warranted like I asked for something different or that required extra effort. I will tip if it is deserved though if the person was really nice...etc. My family only orders and picks up pizza and I've never tipped the person running the till (usually pizza hut or domino's) now that I think about it.

If it is a local mom and pop style place I am picking up lunch from and I get back some change I'll tip the change I get back.

Funny this weekend I always tip when I get my haircut, new girl cut my hair and was brutally slow, no conversation and did not think she did a good job so I did not tip. I felt extremely guilty all the way home.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For some reason, i never thought about it. I suppose not as a rule. But i have tipped at a couple of local favorites we frequent, where we know and interact with the staff. I generally over-tip (by most's standards) a sitdown meal server or bartender, but not often the tip jar at the register.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I always tip. For carry out 15%. I've always tipped well and have most definitely come out way ahead in the long run. Besides the old spit in your food thing the workers are in charge of things like what size portion you get and how well and how fast it's prepared. I guess if you don't plan on going back you could get away with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast