RoadBikeReview Member

Today's Teachable Moment

Auto insurance experts are now claiming that 500,000 to 1 million vehicles will have suffered flood damage from Harvey. On average about 78% of all vehicles have comprehensive insurance that covers flood damages which commonly results in a total lose circumstance.

The fact that 78% have comp insurance means 22% do not. So, as many as 110,000 to 220,000 vehicles will not be reported as total losses since there will be no insurance claim. Based on that, these will NOT be reported to CARFAX or AUTOCHECK, etc. And some of these totaled vehicles will make it to other states to have their titles "washed" with a rebuilt title thus legally misleading the consumer.

Buyers beware. I wouldn't buy any vehicle that was previously titled in a flood state at the time of a flood, period. However there may be thousands of vehicles (rentals, leased or licensed) outside the flooded areas which leaves consumers vulnerable to used car scams.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Auto insurance experts are now claiming that 500,000 to 1 million vehicles will have suffered flood damage from Harvey. On average about 78% of all vehicles have comprehensive insurance that covers flood damages which commonly results in a total lose circumstance.

The fact that 78% have comp insurance means 22% do not. So, as many as 110,000 to 220,000 vehicles will not be reported as total losses since there will be no insurance claim. Based on that, these will NOT be reported to CARFAX or AUTOCHECK, etc. And some of these totaled vehicles will make it to other states to have their titles "washed" with a rebuilt title thus legally misleading the consumer.

Buyers beware. I wouldn't buy any vehicle that was previously titled in a flood state at the time of a flood, period. However there may be thousands of vehicles (rentals, leased or licensed) outside the flooded areas which leaves consumers vulnerable to used car scams.
    Some of them will probably make it into Canada. Buyer beware.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was thinking this lately.
    Cars were drownded everywhere.
    My parents' car: silt on top of the battery, so water at the elevation to brick their car. This one ain't coming back. But this flooding has been so expansive, you will have a LOT of cars at all levels of water height: a puddle all the way to over the roof.

There are PLENTY of folks down here who like to slap cars back together, polish them up, and send you on your way. With a bad flood car.

Banned forever.....or not
    All it takes is for a rebuilder to move the car out of state to get a "clean title".
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    All it takes is for a rebuilder to move the car out of state to get a "clean title".
    What do you mean?

You can take a rebuilt title and move to another state and receive a clean title?

Or, do you mean you can take a texas titled car to another state and get that states title and thus make it less likely anyone will suspect anything?
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL