Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sticky Valentine

Tonight I want to make pasta primavera.

I've never made it before, but I love it and want to give it a shot.

Some recipes are telling me that I need to bake the vegetables and some call for boiling the veggies. Is there a proper or better way, or does it matter?

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

Meow!
    I've never made it myself, but in general, roasting tends to bring out the natural sweetness of vegetables, while boiling just turns them to mush. YMMV.
    You can't change people. They have to change themselves. Just like babies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by indysteel
    I've never made it myself, but in general, roasting tends to bring out the natural sweetness of vegetables, while boiling just turns them to mush. YMMV.
    ditto, roasting the vegetables on the oven with some olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic will add a whole new dimension to the vegetables.

Lets Go Hokies!!!
    roasting will taste better than boiling. for a quicker than roasting, try sauteeing in just a little olive oil. i do that fairly often to avoid mush and take less time than roasting.

what veggies are you going to use?
    Its not over till you're underground

http://hokierider.blogspot.com

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    I've never made it before, but I love it and want to give it a shot.

Some recipes are telling me that I need to bake the vegetables and some call for boiling the veggies. Is there a proper or better way, or does it matter?

joe
    Roasted veggies taste better (I think) but anything from raw to sauteed to roasted to grilled will give a good result. It all depends on you.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

Moderatus Puisne

Don't boil.

Full immersion in boiling water weakens and removes flavors atmo -- roasting and grilling is good but also easy to overdo.

Steaming is another good choice.

I have a steamer for the stove but if you don't have that you can use one of those rice cookers, or just a pot with a tightly fitting lid and very little water.

disgruntled pigskin fan
    Haven't you heard gluten is bad for you?

Sticky Valentine
    I was thinking of sauteeing them, but I've got an electric range. It has one normal sized burner, and the rest are pretty small, which makes cooking more than one thing on them at a time a major PITA.

joe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Depends on my hunger and patience levels. If I must eat NOW, I boil some veggies along with the pasta. Usually frozen peas, carrots, and broccoli. But throw them in at intervals- peas first (maybe even a couple minutes before the pasta), then carrots and broccoli closer to the last couple minutes.

Red peppers are fine raw, tossed in. Then olive oil, shredded cheese, garlic powder.

If you don't want to boil, heat up some olive oil and fresh garlic, sautee the vegetables, then throw in the drained, cooked pasta, followed by the cheese/salt/pepper.

A recent article in the Times mentioned that the original recipe calls for seasonal vegetables only.

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius
    Full immersion in boiling water weakens and removes flavors atmo -- roasting and grilling is good but also easy to overdo.

Steaming is another good choice.

I have a steamer for the stove but if you don't have that you can use one of those rice cookers, or just a pot with a tightly fitting lid and very little water.
    What do you do if all you have is a stove, a big cast iron pot and a gallon of water? Huh smart guy? I suppose you'd rather starve? You'll eat it the way it's served young man!

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    What do you do if all you have is a stove, a big cast iron pot and a gallon of water? Huh smart guy? I suppose you'd rather starve? You'll eat it the way it's served young man!
    Saute vegetables and garlic in the pot in a tablespoon of butter until tender. Remove and set aside.

Fill pot with water and bring to a boil, salt.

Add pasta and cook just short of al dente, drain. Drain water from pot, reserving just a little bit of it.

Return pasta and vegetables to pot, combine and toss with pasta water until heated through and pasta is al dente. Add cheese etc and serve.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

Moderatus Puisne
    I'd boil a little bit of water in my hands to steam the veggies. Duh.

Chrstine, I was with you till you said garlic POWDER. Call me a purist but I'm pertty much always in favor of real garlic...

Quote Originally Posted by terry b

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius
    I'd boil a little bit of water in my hands to steam the veggies. Duh.
    I'd pour a cup of boiling water in my mouth and set the raw vegetables on my teeth and let them act as a screen for the steam.

Just Plain Bitter
    I like the roasted way better. My tastes prefer it. With an Army of kids breathing down my neck for dinner I often resort to blanching and then throwing them under the broiler for a few minutes just so I can get he flavor but save a little time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    I was thinking of sauteeing them, but I've got an electric range. It has one normal sized burner, and the rest are pretty small, which makes cooking more than one thing on them at a time a major PITA.

joe
    Joe, use the method suggested by robdamanii, i.e., saute the veggies, set 'em aside while you make the pasta, then combine.

Since you have an electric range, I'd put my water on to boil on the big burner, as this will take some time. You can be prepping your veggies while the water is heating up. Then, when the water's boiling, turn one of the remaining burners on high, and wait for it to get really hot (electric ranges suck, but if you have a little patience, you can usually get a burner hot enough for a quick saute.) Once the second burner's hot, you can cook your pasta and saute your veggies--you're really just looking to take the rawness out of them while retaining their essence of spring, not cooking them all that much. If you time it right, the pasta will be done shortly after you've sauteed the veggies, and you can combine them before the vegetables have a chance to lose color.

Some restaurants will roast, grill, or otherwise precook (vs. saute) their pasta primavera veggies, but they're doing this well ahead of the actual dining; it's a compromise so that the store can serve lots of primavera quickly, without having to employ a battery of competent saute cooks. Since you're probably not plating up fifty orders of the stuff, you can do better at home, even with your meager range. Bon apetit.

your text here
    one pot one skillet.

bring a pot of salted water to a boil. add broccoli. after a minute, pull broccoli from water and shock in ice water. blanching. turn off heat and cover pot to keep warm.

in the skillet, sautee diced onion in olive oil. add discs of carrots. add quartered quareted mushrooms. if needed, add a smidge of butter. add minced garlic. toss in some white wine and frozen peas and reduce. alternatively you can use a squeeze of lemon. add some cream and swish together.

take lid off water pot and bring back to a boil. cook pasta. by the time the pasta has cooked. the cream and veggies should be done. you want the cream to have some viscosity, but not super thick. i drain the pasta and transfer the cream and veggies and drained broccoli over the pasta in the pot. add some parm. salt and peper to taste.

if the sauce looks too thick, add a lil butter, cream or wine. if too thin, cook a lil longer and add a bit more parm. sometimes a squeeze of lemon will do it, but too much will make it REALLY lemony.

i use cheese tortellini. something about it makes the primavera more...fun. The Boy and The Girl really like it this way.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Non non normal
    I make a similar dish where I roast the vegetables and mix with pasta and call it pasta with vegetables.

The stuff you are making sounds way too complicated. I can't even find vera much less the primo stuff.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

your text here
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider
    I make a similar dish where I roast the vegetables and mix with pasta and call it pasta with vegetables.

The stuff you are making sounds way too complicated. I can't even find vera much less the primo stuff.
    you talkin to me? aint that tough to make, really. i used to not do the broccoli, but it adds to the dish.
    i also used to add too much cream. not anymore.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Sticky Valentine
    Change of plans: I'll be making it tomorrow night.

Ed: thanks for the directions. I'll probably go your route, but sans cream.

joe

banned
    Maybe you could log on to ChatRoulette and have the whole interweb hold your hand while you cook.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Depends which veggies (lots of different things you can put in that dish). Some delicate things (zucchini) just brief saute. Others (sweet peppers) a little longer and hotter saute. Some more robust ones (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots), boil first till almost tender, then saute. Good olive oil, lots of garlic, a little butter, some red pepper flakes, good cheese. Good eats.

Even better with whole wheat pasta, IMHO. The Italian imported brands (DeCecco, Barilla) have gotten really good at those now.

My current favorite veg with pasta: broccoli rabe.

Moderatus Puisne
    So, what would you do if you weren't using cream? More oil?

Quote Originally Posted by weltyed
    you talkin to me? aint that tough to make, really. i used to not do the broccoli, but it adds to the dish.
    i also used to add too much cream. not anymore.

Sticky Valentine
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus
    Maybe you could log on to ChatRoulette and have the whole interweb hold your hand while you cook.

Maybe you can block/ignore me since my postings seem to bother you so much.

joe

Re-Cyclist
    Wow, I haven't heard of boiling vegees in decades. Yes, it renders them pretty useless. Steaming, perhaps. But, I saute or stir-fry. I also grill them on my George Foreman grill. Since I don't eat meat I only use the george for grilling. Thin sliced onions, yams, carrots, peppers, zukes, cauliflower, and whatever you can find. I first marinade them in a light oil with plenty of garlic. When grilled, you can put them right on top of the sauce that you just put on your pasts plate. Or add them to your warm sauce first in a traditional fashion. Yum Yum.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

Sticky Valentine
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Eyes
    Wow, I haven't heard of boiling vegees in decades. Yes, it renders them pretty useless. Steaming, perhaps. But, I saute or stir-fry. I also grill them on my George Foreman grill. Since I don't eat meat I only use the george for grilling. Thin sliced onions, yams, carrots, peppers, zukes, cauliflower, and whatever you can find. I first marinade them in a light oil with plenty of garlic. When grilled, you can put them right on top of the sauce that you just put on your pasts plate. Or add them to your warm sauce first in a traditional fashion. Yum Yum.

Good idea. I used to have a Foreman Grill that I gave away to a friend back when I stopped eating meat because I wasn't using it. I shoulda kept it!

joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast