Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

Trading Wine for Weed

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/26/trad...legal-pot.html

This article predicts that people, especially women, will switch from wine to weed to avoid unnecessary calories. But they are ignoring the "munchie factor".
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I only skimmed the article but it seems interesting.

I'd be a little surprised to see very many people switching from wine to weed though, at least not to an extent where the caloric difference comes into play. The effects as well as the "rituals" (see, swirl, smell, sip) are just so different.

Among my friends who are couples, most of the men use MJ and have ready access to it. By extension, their wives have that access too but it's pretty rare for them to toke up during social events even though they will now and then for a concert or special occasion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Weed just knocks me right out. Wine seems more socially compatible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It is established that one additional thing that makes quitting smoking - regular cigarettes - more challenging for women than men is the weight gain. So, there's that.

a real member's member
    pot and cab are great together. no need to choose.

add piping hot, dark coffee for the trifecta of awesomeness.

i need a little cookie or biscuit, too.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/26/trad...legal-pot.html

This article predicts that people, especially women, will switch from wine to weed to avoid unnecessary calories. But they are ignoring the "munchie factor".
    Pot heads will say anything to promote pot. They lie so much they don't know what the truth sounds like.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Pot heads will say anything to promote pot. They lie so much they don't know what the truth sounds like.
    hurr. good one. hurr.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You think that investment analysts for a large European bank wrote this analysis because they're potheads who want to promote weed? Okay. I guess that's possible.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post

I'd be a little surprised to see very many people switching from wine to weed though, at least not to an extent where the caloric difference comes into play. The effects as well as the "rituals" (see, swirl, smell, sip) are just so different.
    True. For example washing down pain killers won't work with smoke. Many people will still need wine for that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I graduated cum laude with my BS and MS degrees, have held the same professional job for 16 years now, have no debt other than my mortgage payment, and volunteer in my community.

If a little bit of "lying" (i.e. advocating) to promote pot eliminates the chance for me and people like me to go to jail for something I like to do at home in my spare time then so be it.

Not Banned
    tired, stupid and hungry is no way to go through life

I have nothing against weed. Having grown up in the emerald triangle and spending part of my life touring as a Reggae Musician I have seen my share. It's just not my thing most the time
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Last edited by Eretz; 05-06-2018 at 06:12 AM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

a real member's member

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I don't know any facts about various claims but I know at least one user who doesn't lie.

Me and a friend were in a store talking about the claim that it can be good for back pain and certain 'strains' are for that and won't get the user stoned.
    Some other guy half heard us talking and said: "Oh yeah it works great for my back pain."
    So we asked him about the not getting stoned bit and his response was "heck no, I'm stoned out of my mind"

I make Eagles fly
    But it cures cancer and cures every ailment doctors have seen. No deaths have been linked to it, you can drive high as a kite and if something happens it wasn’t the fact you are impaired made you crash and die.

I want to see it fully legalized, but I also want more testing to be performed.
    If you don't follow the liberal flock, you are called a troll.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Me and a friend were in a store talking about the claim that it can be good for back pain and certain 'strains' are for that and won't get the user stoned.
    hemp oil maybe?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    hemp oil maybe?
    I don't know. Pretty sure I've heard it said that certain weed is good for pain and won't get you stoned but I could be mixing up what I heard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    hemp oil maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I don't know. Pretty sure I've heard it said that certain weed is good for pain and won't get you stoned but I could be mixing up what I heard.
    Yes, mostly referred to as CBD. It is legal in most states now, no prescription needed. Legal versions are made from the hemp plant which has no THC.

Turns out CBD is also present in cannabis, and may be part of the reason it helps for medical reasons.

The pure version of CBD has no THC, so no psychoactive stimulus (=high), but according to research has many other medical uses. Much of this is based on documented research, which is easier than cannabis as it is mostly legal. You can buy it mail order, most states where cannabis is legal also grow and sell it.
    much info out there, but here's a link
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317221.php

RoadBikeReview Member
    Why did the cows go to the marijuana field?

It was the pot calling the cattle back.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    Others would say that weeds can help relieve cancer. Though, switching to wine to weeds for me is not also a good idea. Both have bad effects on our body if it becomes an addiction.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Why did the cows go to the marijuana field?
    It was the pot calling the cattle back.
    lucky cows.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Most things in moderation and all, but the way a lot of people romanticize MJ and it's "benefits" in this legalization age can get annoying.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
    Most things in moderation and all, but the way a lot of people romanticize MJ and it's "benefits" in this legalization age can get annoying.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

I recently picked up a pamphlet from my "provider" and, as a scientist, I was really disheartened by the lack of any references to studies or proof supporting the claims they made. It was very similar to the descriptions snowboard makers give for their products - every single model is "the perfect weapon to slay the whole mountain". No matter what I buy at the weed store, the cute girl behind the counter tells me, "oh yeah, that's my favorite".

Bikes, cars, everything. It's all the same. Marketers are trained to screw with your mind.

At least in my state, it's a very thinly veiled racket on the supply side. If you have $130, an X-ray or ANY surgery records, and 15 minutes you can get a prescription for weed. Of course, so can chemo, terminally ill, PTST, epileptic, MS, and some other horribly afflicted folks that should be able to try whatever they want to seek relief.

I'm all for freedom and personal responsibility on the demand side - wouldn't you agree Chain that this is the way a free market should work?.

And oddly enough, now that I have a prescription for it, I use it far less now than I did 20 years ago.
    Last edited by dir-t; 05-08-2018 at 09:05 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't get it. weed is something to relax with on the patio, for its own sake. For me, wine is an essential part of a meal, it complements the food. Otherwise I find I gotta spend $40 for a bottle that's good sipper on its own. Generally they are a completely different experience for me, not a substitute for each other. Pot isn't something to have with dinner, doesn't complement the food imho.

Now beer OTOH, i love after a workout, bike ride, on its own or with salty stuff. But that's partly driven by need for calories and rehydration. pot can't do that either

I'm not against pot, I'm all for legalization, though haven't even smoked it in a decade, and even then maybe 4 times in my life. I might try it again as i transition from working life though. wonder how compatible it is with golf? I hear it is good with mtn biking.

(and yeah both are just minor poisons, minimal health benefits from pot and zero from wine. but it's beside the point)
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    wonder how compatible it is with golf?
    it can correlate even better than alcohol. but both can be helpful ... up to a point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast