"El Bwana"

In the tradition of journalistic excellence

My media credentials have been approved for the U.S. Pro Cycling Challenge.

"Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

waterproof*
    schweeeet!! for whom are you reporting? what's your beat?
    * not actually a Rock Star

waterproof*
    also, do you know Catzilla? she's kind of a big deal.
    * not actually a Rock Star

Diphthong
    I was thinking about attending the day in Aspen. Can you get me backstage passes to meet the band?
    I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of $hit, man.

Seat's not level
    We will be in Aspen, Vail, Breck and maybe Golden.

Please contact my agent if you would like to arrange an interview.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

eminence grease
    Well, if Fox News is going to cover cycling, I'm glad it's a Lounger who's doing the writing.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

Clyde-o-Matic
    I'm disappointed that the Les Nessman didn't get a spot in your portfolio of prominent journalists.

"El Bwana"
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    schweeeet!! for whom are you reporting? what's your beat?
    Freelance. But I will have two foci: 1) What goes on behind the scenes to set up a stage (Salida-Crested Butte) and 2) talking to riders about their Junior experiences and how it helped them get to the big time. I will only be in Colorado Springs, Salida-CB, and the final day in Golden-Denver. I mean, I have a real job so I'm doing this on my vacation time.

My kid's coach used to ride with Zabriskie and Vaughters so I have an entree there. My big "get" will be Jens if he is coming. If the Schlecks are coming, I guess Jens might, too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstar2083 View Post
    I'm disappointed that the Les Nessman didn't get a spot in your portfolio of prominent journalists.
    Indeed. Passing over a five time winner of the Buckeye Newshawk Award and the coveted Silver Sow!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Awesomeness on the media passes!

Glue Sniffer
    Wait. Is there a thing happening?
    Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use.

Yup, I've geeked out and started a blog: www.adventuresinprocreating.blogspot.com

"El Bwana"
    Quote Originally Posted by catzilla View Post
    Wait. Is there a thing happening?
    One or two.

KWL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    No way you can meet the standard set by the last one.

Ken
    Ladonna Batiste-Williams: I married a goddam musician, Aint no way to make that $#!↑ right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't waste the time with the Schlecks...boring as F#*k. Ben King is awesome, he'd be a great one, not sure if he's on the roster. Very approachable and has some strong results, plus young enough to have made the transition recently enough to add some depth. Wish I was going, doesn't look to be in the cards, I passed on a TdF assignment and think I'm getting the payback by not getting the Colorado invite. Other TRS guys that are good are JMAC, Haimar, and Markel...lesser names but all very cool.

If you're freelance try to find someone to agree to publish piece before then so you don't have to say "freelance" to them. Always more likely to get something if its defined. The only real chance to get these guys will be at the start, they'll scatter fast at finish and often don't go back to the bus at all. If you have targeted guys be their early and get the names of media guy for the team (Phillipe Maertens for TRS). Ask for media guy as soon as they arrive, it will help you a lot. Take California for example, we'd roll up in the bus and there would be so many fans that the media dudes were just blended with the fans.

Jens is super easy to talk to, problem is that EVERYONE is clamoring for him. There may be a small chance you can catch him inside the barricades on his way to sign in, BUT they are usually on a bike and in a hurry.
    Last edited by teoteoteo; 08-10-2011 at 05:33 PM.

"El Bwana"
    Quote Originally Posted by teoteoteo View Post
    Don't waste the time with the Schlecks...boring as F#*k. Ben King is awesome, he'd be a great one, not sure if he's on the roster. Very approachable and has some strong results, plus young enough to have made the transition recently enough to add some depth. Wish I was going, doesn't look to be in the cards, I passed on a TdF assignment and think I'm getting the payback by not getting the Colorado invite. Other TRS guys that are good are JMAC, Haimar, and Markel...lesser names but all very cool.

If you're freelance try to find someone to agree to publish piece before then so you don't have to say "freelance" to them. Always more likely to get something if its defined. The only real chance to get these guys will be at the start, they'll scatter fast at finish and often don't go back to the bus at all. If you have targeted guys be their early and get the names of media guy for the team (Phillipe Maertens for TRS). Ask for media guy as soon as they arrive, it will help you a lot. Take California for example, we'd roll up in the bus and there would be so many fans that the media dudes were just blended with the fans.

Jens is super easy to talk to, problem is that EVERYONE is clamoring for him. There may be a small chance you can catch him inside the barricades on his way to sign in, BUT they are usually on a bike and in a hurry.
    Thanks so much for the tips. Ben King is a great idea. Tommy D sponsored a Junior series here in Colorado two years ago, he is on the list. I did a photo essay last year for one of the UCI CX races in Colorado for a photography class I was taking but there was no real interest from any publication. That is the idea for the Salida-CB stage, do a photo essay on preparations within Salida (a really small town), then the race, then the breakdown. We'll see.

Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PDex View Post
    Thanks so much for the tips. Ben King is a great idea. Tommy D sponsored a Junior series here in Colorado two years ago, he is on the list. I did a photo essay last year for one of the UCI CX races in Colorado for a photography class I was taking but there was no real interest from any publication. That is the idea for the Salida-CB stage, do a photo essay on preparations within Salida (a really small town), then the race, then the breakdown. We'll see.

Thanks again.
    No worries, Tom is good too, easy to talk to, friendly. He loves motocross, it's a good ice breaker