Non non normal

Tuscon AZ, NNC Touring trip

I am thinking about going to Tuscon in Feb with some friends to cycle for a week. We may just take road bikes, stay in a hotel, and do out and backs or a one nighter in a good location(tombstone) and come back the next day?

I need the scoop? Who has it?
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    I am thinking about going to Tuscon in Feb with some friends to cycle for a week. We may just take road bikes, stay in a hotel, and do out and backs or a one nighter in a good location(tombstone) and come back the next day?

I need the scoop? Who has it?
    It's a great location for both road and mtb riding, and February is a perfect time of year to go. I rented from ProBike Tuscon shop (in Tanque Verde) and was very pleased. I was able to ride road for a set of days, and then I just swapped it for a mtb ride for one day of riding.

What's especially great about Tuscon is you can pretty much ride all around the city and get some good variety, and it's not too congested a city so you can ride through it many ways too.

I did a great ride on the west side of town going over Gates Pass and looping around through the beautiful Saguaro National Desert area to Picture Rocks Rd. Also rode on the quiet roads with big shoulders through the Oro Valley and Catalina Foothills area. And of course the must-do ride is to go up Mt Lemmon.

There's plenty of good riding in and around the city for a week. Also, good stuff if you go further out of the city to places like Madera Canyon.

There's also a lot of good mtb riding to be done. I did the popular "Pistol Hill to Three Bridges" out-and-back, which was a lot of fun.

It was cool-ish for me, i.e. highs only about 70F (in the 50s up high on Mt Lemmon), but that was just great coming from the frigid upper Midwest where it was 25F most of the time.

I definitely need to get back there for another winter/spring trip. I've done trips to Phoenix too, but I like Tuscon's more laid back atmosphere, which I think is better for road riding in general than Phoenix. IMO, Phoenix is actually better as a mtb destination, as it does have some pretty kick-ass trails at South Mountain and few other locations just outside of the valley in the surrounding hills.

Proud luddite
    I live in Tucson and love the year-long cycling here. Tons of bike lanes and places you can go and the weather will be nice in February. Mt. Lemmon is an awesome climb and itís actually rated as an HC but the top could have snow & ice that time of year so be careful. Be ready for some rough pavement all over this area though because the roads are crumbling. I like to ride in Oro Valley...less traffic, nice bike lanes and smoother roads. Let me know what part of town youíll be in and I can recommend some nearby rides.

Non non normal
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I live in Tucson and love the year-long cycling here. Tons of bike lanes and places you can go and the weather will be nice in February. Mt. Lemmon is an awesome climb and itís actually rated as an HC but the top could have snow & ice that time of year so be careful. Be ready for some rough pavement all over this area though because the roads are crumbling. I like to ride in Oro Valley...less traffic, nice bike lanes and smoother roads. Let me know what part of town youíll be in and I can recommend some nearby rides.
    I will be asking you a bunch of questions in the near future. Stuff like which side of town to get a hotel, 40 to 70 mile cue sheets, best Mexican restaurants, etc. Thanks a bunch!
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    My wife and I are going to Tucson in mid-January, so I will be watching this thread for suggestions about things to do and where to eat. We've got a place to stay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Lots to do...
    Air museum, Biosphere & for riding, Kitt Peak, Madera Canyon, as well as east west national parks.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I'm in Tucson also.

A good resource for rides is:

The MegaHurtz Ride Indexer V1.3.04

I don't think it is updated anymore but Kitt Peak, gates and Lemmon are worth adding to your ride list.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by idris icabod View Post
    I'm in Tucson also.

A good resource for rides is:

The MegaHurtz Ride Indexer V1.3.04

I don't think it is updated anymore but Kitt Peak, gates and Lemmon are worth adding to your ride list.
    Oh yeah....I forgot about that link. That sucker is old but is an amazing collection of Tucson rides.

Not Banned
    Lemmon is awesome. Second on Oro Valley, pretty mellow, nice roads.
    There is great MTBing there as well. Some nice trails West / NW side of the foothills of Mt. Lemmon and above Oracle is the 24HOP course
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Stay here, decent food good bars (3 of em), great location right downtown.
    Hotel Congress | Historic Hotel in the heart of Tucson, Arizona

Absolutely eat here
    https://cafepocacosatucson.com/

And for old fashioned family style Italian eat at Caruso's near the U of A

flinty-eyed moderator
    did a training camp their a few years ago- great riding, especially Kitts peak
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Ditto. I think it was azpeterb that recommended Poca Cosa during one of my wife and my trips to visit the FIL. We/she return there every chance we get.

As for biking, the traffic in and around Tucson seems too heavy for me to enjoy being on the road but I may have just been in the wrong places.