Thread: TV Antenna

Satanic Watch Winder

TV Antenna

I'm relocation and my cable option isn't an option. 125 channels, 120 of which rank right up there with rectal itch as far as interesting. Is anyone using a high def antenna rather than cable? What's the reliable range? What problems come with an antenna setup?
    Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    I use this one for off air TV 7 miles from the transmitter Stellar Labs Long Range UHF- HDTV 91 Element Yagi Antenna | 30-2370 (302370) | Stellar Labs
    You have to own your roof, and don't forget the rood bracket, mast, ground rod, ground cable, and lightning arrester.
    I'mv getting okay reception from 30 miles away out in the country with a 7 element yagi antenna, but I'm on top of a hill out there.
    Indoor antennas provide some HDTV coverage, but drop out when the wind is high and gusty or the rain is heavy. No such problem with this thing. The $39 from the same company is probably okay, but freight is so high, $20, that I went for the big dog fpr $5 more.
    I'm using the $39 HDTV converter from the same supplier, $49 occasionally.
    Yeah, I hate pay TV too. When I'm in a motel cable can't even do PBS right. One channel, kiddie programs most of the time, and they shorten the programs from 56 to 44 minutes. We have 4 channels of PBS here in Kentuckiana, two channels of just adult (educational historical & cultural) programs.
    I was using an electronic antenna booster from w*** m*** in town, mostly to blow up if lightning hits it. Save my $300 30" display unit. Still use it on my old $200 HDTV converter I use for recording one program while I watch another.
    The booster won't work with the HDTV converter from mcmelectronics.
    The HDTV converter has a signal strength function to help you rotate the antenna to maximum effect. We have one channel whose tower is in a totally different direction, but since they are the ABC affiliate, I don't worry about not seeing their programs. I watch Olympics Ice & track sports on NBC, and a little NASCAR on Fox, but that is it for my commercial TV consumption. NBC is covering tour de france next Sat aft, I don't care who wins; but the scenery is nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    All depends on how far, terrain and setup needed. Here is SFLA, I am 15 miles from the transmitters. I use a regular LARGE OTA (Just the front portion) in my attic. I get all the locals crustal clear.

Start here to see what you can get and antenna help: AntennaWeb.org
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

tka
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I've used AntennaWeb.org several times to help select the appropriate antenna for several people, but I've read that their database is getting rather stale. The FCC's reception map is supposed to be better but I don't have any first hand experience with it to say if it is more accurate.

My parents line in a first tier suburb, about 12 mile from the local TV antenna farm. I installed a Winegard FlatWave indoor antenna and it works great.

My sister lives out in a outer suburb/rural area about 45-50 miles from the antenna farm. Fortunately they are on the top of a hill. We originally installed a ChannelMaster antenna and it worked great, but my brother-in-law, being the twit he is, couldn't stand looking at an antenna on the outside of his house. He installed a Winegard Amplified FlatWave in his attic and I have to say, it works pretty darn well.

I live in a second tier suburb, about 25 miles from the antenna farm. I installed a modified version of this antenna in my attic, with the lower pair of elements longer (~16" instrad of 7") to capture the Hi-VHF channels in use in my local market. Works great.

One thing - if you have more than a couple of TVs that you intend to run off the antenna, get a good distribution amp instead of the cheap splitters you find at the home stores. There is a price difference but the distribution amp will provide a strong signal to each TV.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry, can't help it. I'm picturing this

We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    My folks have been cable-free for years. During the analog years, they could get nearly every broadcast station in the area...after the switch to digital, their service has been halved. They can only consistently get Fox, NBC, ABC, and PBS. They used to be able to get CBS, WGN, and a couple other odd stations.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    If you are in the flat land, usually about 60-70 miles used to be the limit. Sometimes you need to adj the direction for different channels. But OtAir is HD now. If you have cable internet I would go with internet tv if possible.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I use an older Radio Shack VHF/UHF Yagi antenna, designed for use on a mast. I used it for analog and it's just as good on digital, though I do have an rf amp at the antenna. I have it mounted in the attic, so it has the roof attenuation to deal with. When I lived in Annapolis MD, I had it motorized, so I could direct it to Baltimore or DC. In my present configuration the attic is too low to slew the antenna so I had to aim it for the best average. Some people report good experience with ChannelMaster, the better ones at least (just looking at it I'm not impressed by their "FLATenna").

Should add in my experience, not all TV tuners work as well. I have yet to see an ATSC tuner in a TV that has good signal strength, compared to my old Samsung STB tuner and equally old Magnavox (Funai) DVDR. I also have a dual ATSC tuner PCI card in my HTPC that works OK. My experience is the USB dongle tuners are crap. If looking for something new I would check out the HDHR.

scott s.
    Last edited by scott967; 07-05-2017 at 02:01 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I guess I'm luck; some previous owner installed a yaggi in my unfinished attic. Probably 60's vintage, but still in excellent shape.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I guess I'm luck; some previous owner installed a yaggi in my unfinished attic. Probably 60's vintage, but still in excellent shape.
    The UHF parts are elements 8" to 2" long pointing at a dish or grid. The VHF elements which are 20-30" long are now only useful for FM radio and those rare areas that stayed with analog TV due to regulatory tolerance. HDTV in the US is UHF.
    The yagis with dish or box grid is pointed away from the transmitter. There are HDTV antennas that are a big grid (12"x12" or 20"x20" pointed at the transmitter. Since the freight is $15-$25 for something this big from OH to IN, I spent $10 more for the 93 element yagi which was collapsed in a box.
    For scott I find this separately powered HDTV tuner with remote works well both in town and out at my summer camp: Stellar Labs High Definition Digital Tuner with HDMI and Component Video Output | DT-800 (DT800) | Stellar Labs
    I use the R-G-B cables in town to my monitor and the F connector in the country to my analog TV.
    Often on sale for $40 instead of $50.
    Channelmaster and wineguard make fine HDTV antennas, but getting all the mast, ground rod, roof tripod, lightning arrester, coax cable, ground cable, in the same box is an important cost saver in this small town (2 million people) that doesn't support TV antenna installation in stores anymore. Antennasdirect used to sell a good antenna, mcmelectronics used to sell them but not anymore. Those indoor back of set antennas are IMHO, **** when the wind is up, like during sweeps week in November.
    Last edited by indianajo; 07-05-2017 at 03:47 PM.

tka
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
    The UHF parts are elements 8" to 2" long pointing at a dish or grid. The VHF elements which are 20-30" long are now only useful for FM radio and those rare areas that stayed with analog TV due to regulatory tolerance. HDTV in the US is UHF.
    HDTV in the US is broadcast on Hi-VHF (174-216 MHz) and UHF (470 -806 MHz)(Source: FCC Frequency allocation table.) A lot of people have issues with OTA HDTV because they have a UHF antenna but they have HD broadcasts in Hi-VHF. In my market the FOX and NBC affiliates broadcast HD on Hi-VHF, 189 and 201 MHz resp.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    this site will show you what you should receive at your location
    TV Fool