gnimaerts eb ll'yeht dna
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

done
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    Laura's Diary
    what you don't have it?
    Nope, haven't read all of it. Just bits and pieces in the book store.

Something similar from Major Briggs would have been cool. Maybe in the form of de-classified reports of the events surrounding his duties in researching the White Lodge and it's connection to Project Bluebook. Seems he was gearing up to play a bigger role in season 3.

biding my time
    Twin Peaks is coming back to television... new series, new episodes. Premieres May 21 on Showtime.

And yes, David Lynch is heavily involved (as is Mark Frost). In fact, Lynch is directing ALL 18 episodes. And yes, much (though sadly not all) of the original cast is returning as well.

I am cautiously ecstatic about this, if there is such an emotion.

On a sidenote, IIRC there was a line from the original show, spoken by Laura Palmer: "See you again in 25 years."

Strangely prescient.

System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

biding my time

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

a real member's member
    "The limited series is written by Lynch and Frost and directed by Lynch. Many original cast members, including MacLachlan, returned." -wiki

count me in.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

biding my time
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Twin Peaks is coming back to television... new series, new episodes. Premieres May 21 on Showtime.

And yes, David Lynch is heavily involved (as is Mark Frost). In fact, Lynch is directing ALL 18 episodes. And yes, much (though sadly not all) of the original cast is returning as well.

I am cautiously ecstatic about this, if there is such an emotion.

On a sidenote, IIRC there was a line from the original show, spoken by Laura Palmer: "See you again in 25 years."

Strangely prescient.

Found it.

a real member's member
    let's rock

Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Cat 6
    s2 was a hot mess and yet I can't wait for this....

biding my time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I never really got into it back in the day. My GF watched it last year and I'm like go for it, but be prepared, S1 will hook you in, and S2 will spit you out with your head on backwards. She loved S1, but yeah S2 not so much, as someone said years ago above, weird for weird's sake.
    All the gear and no idea

biding my time
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    I never really got into it back in the day. My GF watched it last year and I'm like go for it, but be prepared, S1 will hook you in, and S2 will spit you out with your head on backwards. She loved S1, but yeah S2 not so much, as someone said years ago above, weird for weird's sake.
    S3 has started as of tonight. Advance reviews have been very positive.

I'm just sitting down now to watch the premiere... thank you, Tivo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    yeah I believe it's starting soon here in OZ.
    All the gear and no idea

biding my time
    Saw the first hour of the premiere. Seems pretty cool so far... definitely more like S1 than S2.

Will withhold judgement 'til I see the second hour though.

a real member's member
    watched it last night. pretty intense. and great, as expected.

gonna have to rewatch it, but that will probably just raise more questions.

biding my time
    Well, caught the second hour. Right now, I'd have to categorize the show as only just good, not great, but with moments of brilliance.

It's not quite at the same level as S1 (yet), but it's light-years better than S2.

One thing I really like and which bodes well is that we're not having our attention split among one zillion different characters (again, yet). That was one of the big problems of the show in S2... simply too many characters and associated subplots, some of them fascinating, others much less so.

S3, OTOTH, seems more focussed, although no less 'Lynchian', i.e. strange and opaque at times.

It's also leans more towards the drama side than comedy compared to earlier seasons, though there are a few funny scenes. But it's more a kind of gritty, grim humor, as opposed to the occasionally goofy humor of S2. Twin Peaks has serious'd up some.

It's also now R-rated, if that bothers you. As in blood, nudity, a supernatural being/alien/notsurewhat doing something beyond awful to a couple during sex, etc. etc. So, get used to that.

Will be very interested to see if this one is on an upward path or a downward one. IIRC, S1 didn't have it's breakthrough moment until almost 4 hours in, so, can't really expect to know which way this one's breaking yet.

Last edited by SystemShock; 05-23-2017 at 02:29 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    GF was watching tonight, seemed to enjoy it. All I saw was the chick from the nanny striping off...
    All the gear and no idea

biding my time
    Well, they showed Parts 3 and 4 last night.

Part 3 was very interesting and very 'Lynchian', and I definitely dug it, though some folks will feel like they've been body-slammed into 'WTF-land' even harder than usual (by Twin Peaks standards). But, like Lynch at his best, there's just enough in the way of clues that, if you're paying close attention, you can almost put your arms around what's going on. Almost.

For instance, I liked that the ring from Fire Walk With Me showed up, and the purpose of the 'third' Cooper ('Dougie') was pretty obvious, if you remember what Cooper had been told in the Black Lodge earlier in S3: "For you to leave, he must come back in."

But Part 4 was a different animal, more like 'Twin Peaks Comedy Hour', and very hit-or-miss. Apparently some things David Lynch thinks are hilariously funny, aren't, really. Such as Michael Cera with a Marlon Brando affectation. Or Kimmy Robertson not understanding how cell phones work in 2017.

Oh, and David Duchovny as a transvestite FBI agent? Might've been edgy back when he originally played the character in 1991, but nowadays, not so much... and that's even with the nod and wink to The X-Files, which came after Duchovny's original Twin Peaks stint, and in which he played a non-transvestite FBI agent. Yeah, Lynch, we get it. Still doesn't make it hilarious.

And I still can't tell if this crazy train of a show is going to make it or not. Lynch feels more than a little 'off' at times, like he can't always quite recapture the feel of the original series. The nudity and graphic violence also continues to be a bit jarring, since that wasn't in the original show, for the most part. But at other times, it all flows well and smoothly, and you think it's the early '90s still.

To be continued.

Not Banned

I may have to get Netflix

just because of this
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

a real member's member
    mr jackpots: hell-o-o-o!!

biding my time
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    mr jackpots: hell-o-o-o!!
    I initially thought he was screaming, "Aloaaaaa-HAAAAAA!" (he wasn't).

But I have slight hearing damage.

biding my time

a real member's member
    michael cera as wally brando -- making the character absurd to begin, then pushing the poetry of the road to the point where you have to laugh even if you didn't want to. made more possible with robert forster as sheriff truman, deadpan.

gordon cole: i hate to admit this, but i don't understand this situation at all.

i like the music at the end of these episodes.

biding my time
    Well, we're up to Part 6 now (out of 18).

The last two parts have been slower, more 'domestic'. And it does feel like MacLachlan is carrying the series right now, by virtue of actually being really good at playing an out-of-it nearly catatonic man. Weird, but somehow fitting for him.

Still, I think I've had my fill of 'Dougie Jones' and would like Agent Cooper to come back. Would also like to see more of 'evil Cooper' too, who we've seemed to have lost touch with after his prison 'light show'.

The show is starting to complicate up with masses of new characters and subplots. Fortunately, most of the subplots seem (potentially) more interesting than the ones we were subjected to through much of Season 2. We'll see.

Right now, we seem to be stuck at a quality level somewhere between S1 and S2. Wouldn't take much for this ride to kick into high gear, or, alternatively, bog down and become tedious.

But, In Lynch We Trust™.

biding my time
    Well, Part 8, which they should've called 'The Origin of Bob', pretty much broke my mind.

Maybe not in a good way.

I didn't think it was possible, but Lynch has gotten even weirder.

As in, he's collapsed into a 'weirdularity', in which the story gets so weird that no light can escape.

Still a fascinating ride, though.

a real member's member
    ep8 might make more sense with the sound off and one of pink floyd's albums playing. probably 'animals' but maybe 'the piper at the gates of dawn.'

definitely smoke first.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast