Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scary Teddy Bear

Ummm, anyone driven a Q5?

Just curious.

My wife is thinking of getting one, and I'm curious as to other peoples perspectives.

It's either that or the new Jeep Grand Jerokee...which drove awesome....a QUANTUM improvement over the previous generations.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    http://physasst.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    We have a Q5, my wife loves it. It drives good, has nice power and is very comfortable. We've sat 5 in the car, although it was a bit tight. There is not a huge amount of cargo space for trips, but with some good packing it'll work. I personally prefer small cars so I've always been sort of 'meh' towards it, but it is not a car for me to drive much so who cares?

No hero that's understood
    I have an A6 that my wife drives and we've been thinking about a Q5. I've driven it and really liked it, it's just a little small for what we want. The Q7 is probably the right answer for us, but we aren't buying anytime soon.

I like the Jeep too. Even though I know it's essentially an MB under the skin, I've always worried about quality.
    Often wrong, never in doubt

Rub it............
    I don't like the gian cheese grater grille. Other than that, nice vehicle.

I'd personally would take the JGC over the Q5.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

AnthonyB
    Dec 2008
    Edmunds.com has a really interesting tool where you can compare cars quite easily.
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=101343993|&veh2=101321737&show=0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8&comparatorId=5394558

I drive a Grand Cherokee and love it, though my wallet doesn't with the price of gas right now. Q5 having an 4-cyl gets a bit better mileage, but you're paying more up front. Jeep only slightly bigger (it gives all the stats for cubic inches and all that), not enough that would really change what you can/can't carry. Towing capacity and power the Jeep wins big. Not knocking Audi at all, in a perfect world I'd have a big gnarly Jeep and an Audi sedan as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    U23 Team had Audi deal first year so I got to drive Q7's a few times. Amazing, as they should be for that price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think Audi has lost something lately - they now have the worst scheduled maintenance plan of the luxury cars (none). It's made me actually look at Volvo - the xc60 is worth a look. The 'safe and secure' maintenance plan is excellent: 5 year scheduled maintenance included, which also covers wear and tear on brakes and rotors.

txn
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by q_and_a
    I like the Jeep too. Even though I know it's essentially an MB under the skin, I've always worried about quality.
    Does everything start to fail at 7yrs on a MB, too? I sure seems like everything on our Liberty sure has.

Quote Originally Posted by txn
    Does everything start to fail at 7yrs on a MB, too? I sure seems like everything on our Liberty sure has.
    7 years?

You must have bought the best Liberty ever made.

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by q_and_a
    7 years?

You must have bought the best Liberty ever made.
    No kidding. That's the statistical equivalent of the Livermore light bulb.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/may.../me-lightbulb5
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Beetpull DeLite
    I'd get one of these if I were in the market for a fancy SUV:

http://www.cadillac.com/ctsSportWagon/2011/

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...n/default.aspx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    the 3 series is getting long in the tooth,
    I'd generally agree that a 3 series wagon > SUV

but the X3 is brand new, and about the same $$ as the 328 wagon.
    I'd look pretty hard at the new X3 over the audi or anything else mentioned yet

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe
    but the X3 is brand new, and about the same $$ as the 328 wagon.
    I'd look pretty hard at the new X3 over the audi or anything else mentioned yet
    IIRC the 3 wagon has more interior space than the X3. You can also get AWD if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    IIRC the 3 wagon has more interior space than the X3. You can also get AWD if you need it.
    In my experience, the 3 series wagon is just a better car. The X3 wasn't nearly as fun to drive and felt smaller and less useful.

I agree, the wagon would definitely be the choice between the two.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy

I think you're correct if you're talking about the old X3, the new one (which has only been on dealer lots 2-3 months) is quite a bit larger, with a much nicer interior (old X3 had a terrible interior)

give the handling on the X3 a shot, just because it appears taller doesn't mean it doesn't handle well. (it just means that it feels really unnatural when you're whipping it around corners and it's not rolling over)

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...i/Default.aspx

for similar money to the Q5, the X3 is much faster (5.5 sec 0-60, vs 6.7 sec on the audi) and gas mileage is a wash between the two
    Last edited by roscoe; 05-10-2011 at 05:52 AM.

JTM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    We just went through the same thing and in the end the Q5 just didn't have enough space so we ended up with a 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland. We looked at quite a few vehicles in that price range and in the end we were both really impressed by the new GC (both inside and out). It is definitely a big jump for Jeep in fit and finish. In that class, pretty much everything gets the same gas milage (as long as its a V6).

FWIW - we traded in a 2002 LIberty with 99,100 miles on it. Besides a bum speed sensor at around 40,000, we never had one problem with it. The only reason we replaced it was due our 5 month old and the extra space he requires (and the fact that they gave us $1800 over bluebook).

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Anytime I see someone in an Audi, I think there's someone who paid too much for their Volkswagon. And I can't see why anyone would want to touch a Chrysler product with a ten foot pole. I'd look at the BMW or the Volvo.

Domokun!
    We own a VW Tiguan. It's basically a Q5 with a different engine. I can honestly say it's the best car we've ever owned, including Lexus, MB and a Porsche Cayenne. Gets about 28mpg overall on premium and the 2.0T moves! Although not like the Porsche did.

The Cayenne was totaled in a crash and the VW was it's replacement. My wife didn't like the Porsche. She loves the Tiggy.

Check it out, you'll be surprised!
    " The ability to purchase an expensive bicycle does not make you a cyclist! "

JTM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf
    Anytime I see someone in an Audi, I think there's someone who paid too much for their Volkswagon. And I can't see why anyone would want to touch a Chrysler product with a ten foot pole. I'd look at the BMW or the Volvo.
    We looked at both the XC60 and the X3 and actually ranked them below the Q5. As I said, we were very pleasantly surprised by the Grand Cherokee. If someone put you in one and didn't tell you what it was you would have no idea you were in a Jeep. We have friends with all of the above cars and more (Q5, XC60, X3, etc., etc.) and all of them have been impressed by our new GC. The people the Q5 and X3 have had a few issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    What is it with you yanks and your huge, ridiculous, gaz guzzling and not forgetting very ugly, SUVs? Don't get it ....

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    Hmm... seems to fit in with the usual VW-Audi modus operandi... awesome cars that don't seem to hold up very well long-term.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ummm, anyone driven a Q5?-audi-q5.gif  
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock
    Hmm... seems to fit in with the usual VW-Audi modus operandi... awesome cars that don't seem to hold up very well long-term.

That's my take on most european cars, but especially VW. They're stylish and drive really well, but will start to run into serious repair bills not to far down the road. Everyone I've known that had one was intially in love with the car, but later wanted to push it off a cliff. I drive and older Volvo wagon (V70) and that thing costs a couple thousand a year in repairs. And I don't drive the thing that much. It's our second car, and when we replace it, I'm not going to consider another Volvo. One thing you can say about them, and I used to work for NHTSA, is that they make the safest car on the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf
    And I can't see why anyone would want to touch a Chrysler product with a ten foot pole.
    Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I am rocking out a (bought new) 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has not needed anything besides oil changes, tires, and brakes. It only has 75k miles though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Karbon Kev
    What is it with you yanks and your huge, ridiculous, gaz guzzling and not forgetting very ugly, SUVs? Don't get it ....
    This thread is almost entirely about European cars.

Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock

I'm not sure how you draw that conclusion from this?

I don't necessarily disagree with the premise, I just don't see the facts supporting your conclusion. The car was rated excellent by consumer reports and is a class leader?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast