the fist

Upgrade Laptop or Acer Aspire One

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooo, which should I go for?

I have already ordered RAM for my laptop and will need a new hard drive or external hard drive. The laptop works fine, but it is slow after 3 years. I am not shelling out the cash for a MAC.

I don't want to buy a new laptop; they all come with Vista (which does nothing for me).

I don't do anything earth shattering with my laptop...no gaming, no photo/video manipulation/no music production/no graphics..etc..I mainly use it for spreadsheets and remote work.

A new Acer Aspire Uno can be had for $300-$329. Upgrading my laptop will cost around $200 or there about.

What says the lounge?

What the Hell is going on

Powerbook

I got a used Powerbook off Craigslist for $200.00 It's a basic G4 model with a 12". My criteria is the same as yours. It's truly portable with a long battery life (3:30 hours). So, I'd get the Accer.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Moderatus Puisne
    How much typing do you want to do, and how tiny are your fingers?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Slow? What is slow about it? My 5yo laptop with Win7 runs fine... Perhaps try reinstalling the OS?

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by teh moreon
    ... I am not shelling out the cash for a MAC. ...

...I don't want to buy a new laptop; they all come with Vista (which does nothing for me). ...
    You see the conflict there?

Vista was one of the main reasons I switched my personal stuff back to Mac.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

the fist
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius
    How much typing do you want to do, and how tiny are your fingers?
    Good point.

I do quite a bit of typing but I am nimble enough on my BB. I don't think it would kill me...it might give me arthritis, though.

Loves to Suffer
    I got the Acer Aspire for Christmas. It's fine - just don't expect to use it for high end gaming. Also, I tried to use it for recording music with Reaper and the latency was terrible. Web surfing and light gaming and office stuff is fine.

the fist
    Quote Originally Posted by jsedlak
    Slow? What is slow about it? My 5yo laptop with Win7 runs fine... Perhaps try reinstalling the OS?
    The HD is full.
    It takes quite a while to open pograms or new windows or even pulling up 'my computer'...it just seems to drag and takes ages to boot up.

the fist
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    You see the conflict there?

Vista was one of the main reasons I switched my personal stuff back to Mac.
    steeped.

Cat 6
    I've got an Acer Aspire One for work...it's a little slow. Good for web/email...less so for Excel/Office. The big issue is the keyboard can be torture. It's just so small. Maybe if I used it a lot more I'd get used to it but a little bit every few days is enough to make things painful.

the fist
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckice
    I've got an Acer Aspire One for work...it's a little slow. Good for web/email...less so for Excel/Office. The big issue is the keyboard can be torture. It's just so small. Maybe if I used it a lot more I'd get used to it but a little bit every few days is enough to make things painful.
    They just came out with a 10.1 versin...the keyboard is a bit larger.

the fist
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipp0
    I got the Acer Aspire for Christmas. It's fine - just don't expect to use it for high end gaming. Also, I tried to use it for recording music with Reaper and the latency was terrible. Web surfing and light gaming and office stuff is fine.
    no gaming here. As much as I want, WoW is no longer in my life. The new Aspire is expandable.

hello
    I got the little Acer Aspire One netbook strictly for coffee/book shop wi-fi use. Other than the cramped keyboard it's a great little laptop.....and easy to transport on the bike as well..
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

Soon to be banned
    Teh Moreon,

I was in the same position over the holidays. I have a Dell 700M and decided to upgrade to 2GB Ram and a 120Gb HDD. Because of discounts, and eBay, I was able to keep the cost below $75. Still tryin' to get the HDD u/d to XP SP2. MS has put their focus on Win7 which is a pain for those who wanna stay with XP.

Anyway, what make/model lappy do you have? Is it heavy? I kept mine cause it's sub 5#. Anything heavier and I'd have changed it out.
    "Walmart ... Where else can you crush your business competition, and yet, serve and control the lumpenproletariat." Mr. Grumpy

السلام عليكم

the fist
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderman
    Teh Moreon,

I was in the same position over the holidays. I have a Dell 700M and decided to upgrade to 2GB Ram and a 120Gb HDD. Because of discounts, and eBay, I was able to keep the cost below $75. Still tryin' to get the HDD u/d to XP SP2. MS has put their focus on Win7 which is a pain for those who wanna stay with XP.

Anyway, what make/model lappy do you have? Is it heavy? I kept mine cause it's sub 5#. Anything heavier and I'd have changed it out.
    compaq presario v2000.

It's been a really good laptop. That's part of my problem of writing it off. It's been to India and back 3 time and on a lot of road trips, etc...

This may be turning into a paralysis of analysis situation for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teh moreon
    The HD is full.
    It takes quite a while to open pograms or new windows or even pulling up 'my computer'...it just seems to drag and takes ages to boot up.
    Try a reinstall, this time create two partitions. One for Windows and one for personal stuff and/or programs.

Collin's Dad
    I heard lots of bad stuff about vista a year or more ago but haven't read too much about it now. 2 months ago I purchased a Sony Vaio laptop and it came w/ Vista, no problems yet, no crashes or anything, it's used everyday, usually left on. No problems running office type apps, surfing, or even editing and rendering HDV video using Vegas Pro.

So what stuff should I watch out for w/ Vista?

a jumped up pantry boy
    i have a dell mini that i love. you can get them refurb from the dell site for super cheap. they also make a 12 incher if youre worried about screen size/keyboard layout. i wouldnt want it as my main computer, but for web/email/crayon physics it runs like a champ.

plus, you know... http://i.gizmodo.com/5156903/how-to-...e-os-x-netbook
    I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker,
    And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker,
    And in short, I was afraid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    It is said that it will take the moose 10,000 years to learn that the automobile is dangerous. By then the automobile will be extinct.

Soon to be banned
    Two alternate ways you can look at the decision:

1. Upgrade and be green. eBay a used 80-100gb HDD $30, add another gb ram $30-40. I worry about filling our landfills with e-waste.

2. Buy the Acer and stimulate the economy. eBay resale on your v2000 may be $100-200?
    "Walmart ... Where else can you crush your business competition, and yet, serve and control the lumpenproletariat." Mr. Grumpy

السلام عليكم