I have a gas grill in my kitchen
    Why would I need another outside?
    I like bark. I'll stick to charcoal and wood
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Ease of use in the summer. I don't like to spend the time with charcoal after work, it's just easier to start the gas grill, and it's still better than pan frying or baking.
    Don't understand this. It takes me no more than five minutes to put charcoal into a charcoal lighter funnel, and later spread the coals on the fire grill. The 15 or 20 minutes it takes to get the coals going is usually consumed prepping the food.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KojoAkimbo View Post
    Don't understand this. It takes me no more than five minutes to put charcoal into a charcoal lighter funnel, and later spread the coals on the fire grill. The 15 or 20 minutes it takes to get the coals going is usually consumed prepping the food.
    right there with ya.
    or enjoying a beer
    plus addicts enjoy a good ritual
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Some swear by charcoal, wood smokers and various flame friendly cooking. If anyone is in a hurry to throw down on an outdoor grill for the sake of competing with a microwave oven indoors ...well we've lost the reality or great barbecue.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Master debator.
    I simply walk onto the deck, hit the button, and walk away while it heats up. With charcoal I have to toss out the old charcoal, add new, light it up, and wait for it to get ready. No, it's not just as easy and quick despite what you're saying, I know, I have both. Charcoal is more of a pain when I just want to eat, and I reserve it for weekends etc. I suppose your grill is easier than a gas stove too eh? And maybe I just don't want to take the extra time, understand?
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Frog Whisperer
    I simply walk onto the deck, hit the button, and walk away while it heats up. With charcoal I have to toss out the old charcoal, add new, light it up, and wait for it to get ready. No, it's not just as easy and quick despite what you're saying, I know, I have both. Charcoal is more of a pain when I just want to eat, and I reserve it for weekends etc. I suppose your grill is easier than a gas stove too eh? And maybe I just don't want to take the extra time, understand?
    I agree, it isn't easier for me but I personally prefer the end result. I have a weird relationship with food. I don't generally feel hunger. I eat mostly because I have too. If I am going to the trouble of cooking and eating, I want it taste the way I like it. I also refuse to use canned beans or spaghetti sauce in a jar or an electric rice maker. n00ky, you ain't the strange one, I am. (although, I have never had the inkling to run 100 miles like you, I imagine i might feel hunger after that (that is, unless I died which would pretty much be a given))
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Master debator.
    I'm generally not hungry after running an ultra, usually the next morning or late at night I start to feel like eating again. Like I said earlier, I don't prefer the taste of gas grill food over charcoal, it's just easier for me especially when we grill out almost every day when the weather cooperates.

You ever been out on a ride and rode by a house where someone is grilling chicken or hamburgers and you can smell it and you want to turn in and ask for a burger lol it smells so good. Run on sentence for effect.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Frog Whisperer
    I'm generally not hungry after running an ultra, usually the next morning or late at night I start to feel like eating again. Like I said earlier, I don't prefer the taste of gas grill food over charcoal, it's just easier for me especially when we grill out almost every day when the weather cooperates.

You ever been out on a ride and rode by a house where someone is grilling chicken or hamburgers and you can smell it and you want to turn in and ask for a burger lol it smells so good. Run on sentence for effect.
    yes...or early in the morning...coffee smell OR BACON!!!!!!!

Brats for dinner, I am smoking them with apple....MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM (charcoal) Funny, my wife who is the food service director for the school district, and does the entire meal/menu SCRATCH COOKING.....prefers me to use the charcoal and she really doesn't like smoked (other that fruit-wood)

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Before smoking the brats and putting them to flame, you should boil them in an amber ale for about 30 minutes. Highland Gaelic Ale is my preference.

Frog Whisperer
    been playing with it and smoking is a possibility with a simple foil packet and apple wood. However, there is still no contest in the finished product as to the smoky flavor, the charcoal/wood wins, hands down. I intend to try starting the next (brisket) on the charcoal/wood for 2 or 3 hours and finishing it up on the gas. It is indeed less labor intensive, I will give it that. Standing outside for 10 minutes every hour for 5 or 6 hours when the mosquitoes are so thick you can't see through the clouds of them is not that much fun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Gas? Wood? Charcoal? Irrelevant.

Was the meat thrown on the floor? Thatís all that matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Meh.. 5 second rule (I know, does not exists.. still amusing).

I don't really need a grill anyways, the way I like my meat.. walk the cow in front of my plate.. scare it, hand me a knife and fork..

Non non normal
    I used to use an R2 D2 for smoking. Now I have a propane smoker with wood chips. It's 96% as good as the r2d2 but it's a whole lot better at regulating temperature and making sure everything is done at the proper time

Sweet Potato Kugel
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12