Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frog Whisperer

The verdict is in

I "acquired" a fairly high end LP grill. I cooked steaks once and burgers once and I am so not impressed. My 90 dollar charcoal is hands down superior to propane. Charcoal and wood provides a lot more flavor and is easily several hundred degrees hotter at the grate.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

half-fast
    T0g FTW

Also I am out of reps.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    T0g FTW

Also I am out of reps.
    I don't need no steenking rep!

I almost always use wood with my lump charcoal (cherry or apple)

I suppose if I used briquettes, gas would be an acceptable option.

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Master debator.
    Ease of use in the summer. I don't like to spend the time with charcoal after work, it's just easier to start the gas grill, and it's still better than pan frying or baking.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Ease of use in the summer. I don't like to spend the time with charcoal after work, it's just easier to start the gas grill, and it's still better than pan frying or baking.
    Are you saying that you're too lazy to char your own meat but you'll eat someone else's charred meat?

What the what???
    Gas? Wood? Charcoal? Irrelevant.

Was the meat thrown on the floor? That’s all that matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I'm a huge fan of all things Weber (charcoal). Charcoal > gas every time for me. Though I did get a new super deluxe Weber charcoal grill with a gas starter. That is as close as I get to grilling with gas.

Several of my friends have those high $$ gas appliances, and when they have eaten at our house, the wives have commented to their hubby multiple times "how come your (burger/steak/chicken) does not taste this good?"

As to the time, most of them seem to need/want to preheat those heavy cast iron grates for ~15 minutes before using the grill. Same time or more than coal takes to ignite. pffft.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by nodima View Post
    I'm a huge fan of all things Weber (charcoal). Charcoal > gas every time for me. Though I did get a new super deluxe Weber charcoal grill with a gas starter. That is as close as I get to grilling with gas.

Several of my friends have those high $$ gas appliances, and when they have eaten at our house, the wives have commented to their hubby multiple times "how come your (burger/steak/chicken) does not taste this good?"

As to the time, most of them seem to need/want to preheat those heavy cast iron grates for ~15 minutes before using the grill. Same time or more than coal takes to ignite. pffft.
    Let me preface by saying that I did not buy the gas grill. (weber spirit, 2 burner)

I essentially have an endless supply of wood (cherry specifically). My charcoal/wood is a Chargrller with side smoker box. With a "chimney" coals are ready in10 minutes. Probably quicker than pre-heating the gas. I can see the advantage for long cooking times with easy temperature control of the gas.

Seat's not level
    I just got a Weber spirit 3 burner. My old gas grill was rusting out. Not enough time to deal with charcoal and all that.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    TOG,

If you want that wood flavor from your gas grill, take some small chunks and wrap them in foil, leave a vent. Put this lovely little bundle right on one if your burners and let 'er rip.

If you want to throw $$ at a solution for the same thing, they sell little cast iron vented boxes that are meant to go right on the grate over a burner and do the same thing.

Best of luck!

EEC
    ExChef

-----------------------------------------
    2014 SuperSix Evo 6
    2012 CAAD 10 5
    2011 GF/Trek Cobia
    1983 Fuji Monterrey (Project)

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

Red Rider, American Diabetes Association's New England Classic Tour de Cure 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017. Doing it again in 2018!

Together we can help eliminate diabetes!

Seat's not level
    using gas and expecting the flavor of charcoal is like riding an electric bike and expecting the fitness of riding a normal bike.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

Beetpull DeLite
    You only tried it once?

I gave up on charcoal after we got our Weber Genesis. It's a NG version so I have it hooked up to the house's gas - never runs out, gets to 700F, super easy to use, blah blah. For us, what little taste advantage charcoal may have had is more than made up for by the ease and flexibility of a good NG grill.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    My brother always harps about the superior taste of charcoal, but I'm with nooky on this -- especially if you're just going to cook a couple burgers, which is usually the case for me.

Touchogrey -- Is the propane grill new? They get better after you use them as far as flavor goes. Best thing to to with a new one is cook a bunch of greasy meat in it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    I continue to favor charcoal. Since I usually BBQ steak, burgers, chicken breasts, or a piece of salmon for just the two of us, I can rationalize allocating the space or expense of a $500 gas grill. I was intrigued by a Weber charcoal grill that has a built in ash can underneath and offers a propane starter. But at $400 or $500 it's not enough advantage for me to replace my Weber Smokey Joe at a wholesome $30. I set it on a bench I made from scrap lumber lying around, and it's on my covered deck, so I can BBQ year around.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I have that same exact Weber grill, and mine does a fantastic job. Maybe you just need the flavor of wood on your food?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Ain’t that the truth.

Frog Whisperer
    Or, I could use the charcoal grill, i didn't pay for the Weber and I have no problem using wood and charcoal. I took it because my mom bought it for my sister and she just moved and didn't want to take it. It's not new but very rarely used. I figure if i smoked ribs or brisket for 3 or 4 hours then finished on the gas grill, it would be way easier than tending a fire for 12 hours!

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I "acquired" a fairly high end LP grill. I cooked steaks once and burgers once and I am so not impressed. My 90 dollar charcoal is hands down superior to propane. Charcoal and wood provides a lot more flavor and is easily several hundred degrees hotter at the grate.
    Hang on. I trying to interpret this paost. Spell check on everything.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Like Girchy, I have a natural gas grill (Lion) I use it year round and dumping rain is the only weather that keeps me off the grill. I'm house hunting now and a natural gas connection is on the checklist ( with bike storage) for new house.

Master debator.
    That Spirit is a good gas grill in any event, it is what I have and they are fairly expensive. I like the convenience of gas, but I also have a big Weber for things like turkeys and larger quantities of MEAT for larger parties. I always brine and charcoal my holiday turkeys, and I even cook stuffing on the grill because it gets a nice crusty area if you expose it to the heat. Being just the two of us I can start the gas grill and make two burgers in a few minutes, I don't clean it every time, then it just tastes like ash.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Proud luddite
    What the hell...we’re supposed to cook our meat???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve98501 View Post
    I continue to favor charcoal. Since I usually BBQ steak, burgers, chicken breasts, or a piece of salmon for just the two of us, I can rationalize allocating the space or expense of a $500 gas grill. I was intrigued by a Weber charcoal grill that has a built in ash can underneath and offers a propane starter. But at $400 or $500 it's not enough advantage for me to replace my Weber Smokey Joe at a wholesome $30. I set it on a bench I made from scrap lumber lying around, and it's on my covered deck, so I can BBQ year around.
    That same $400 grill is often on CL for $1-150, and the upgrades over the standard 22 are well worth it. Even as a dyed in the wool New Englander who will use things until they are literally unusable, I put my perfectly good 1997 Weber Silver kettle aside in favor of the Performer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    for most cuts of steak, doesn't matter what grill you use - if it ain't sous vide cooked first, you get an inferior result.

https://www.mensjournal.com/food-dri...eriod-w470472/
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    for most cuts of steak, doesn't matter what grill you use - if it ain't sous vide cooked first, you get an inferior result.

https://www.mensjournal.com/food-dri...eriod-w470472/
    I don't think so, my mom likes her steak just barely warm in the center, I have threatened to call the ASPCA more than once. You don't need sous vide for that, hell my tap water gets to 120°, that's rare isn't it? Call it sacrilege if you want, I want mine medium. That's really easy with charcoal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I don't think so, my mom likes her steak just barely warm in the center, I have threatened to call the ASPCA more than once. You don't need sous vide for that, hell my tap water gets to 120°, that's rare isn't it? Call it sacrilege if you want, I want mine medium. That's really easy with charcoal.
    I think you are confusing 'rare' vs 'uncooked.' sous vide evenly cooks the meat and breaks down the connective tissue, but keeps it still-pink-rare and all the juices retained. The temp for rare is like 125F, wit sous vide, I usually do 132 for medium-rare. save money on the less than choice cuts because the long cook time makes it tender
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast