Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Russian Troll Farmer
    I just hope that new vinyl records continue to be the equivalent of those old heavier "import pressings" of years ago, rather than the cheap domestic pressings that gave vinyl a bad name...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Fake President

wikka wikka wikka

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Yup. Record company execs and record store chains really loved that they could sell CDs for $15-18 a pop, as opposed to $9-10 for LPs. Of course, those prices have now reversed... LPs command a premium over CDs currently.

And of course, the move to CDs unwittingly sowed the seeds of destruction for many big record store chains like Tower and dented the music industry as whole.

The move to digital plus this new thing called 'the internet' opened the floodgates to mass piracy. The music industry didn't help itself by keeping CD prices high, and in many cases killing off the CD single, i.e. a reasonably-priced way for the kids to 'cherry-pick' and buy the songs they actually wanted.

There was this whole generation of kids who no longer really went into the record stores because they couldn't afford it, and thus they were oh so ripe for something like Napster to come along.

The music industry kinda got what they deserved, really.
    CDs took less space,industry thought this was an advantage. Sadly it killed the 'experience' of record shopping, and thus overall sales.
    People are discovering vinyl because many have never actually heard Hi Fidelity, the majority of their listening is compressed digital.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I just hope that new vinyl records continue to be the equivalent of those old heavier "import pressings" of years ago, rather than the cheap domestic pressings that gave vinyl a bad name...
    Some new and old titles are offered in standard, 180, and 200 gram simultaneously. musicdirect.com is a good site for new pressings...wide selection, and large catalog.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

off the back
    Visited my local independent record store today(if by local, you mean an hour and a half away) for Record Store Day, and I think it's been a couple years since I was there last. Their space for new vinyl records has probably tripled from what it was the last time I was there.

Bought the Complete Big Star's Third Vol. 3 which came in a cardboard slipcase to also hold Vol's 1 and 2, I found Vol. 2 in their regular vinyl section, and had to go to Amazon when I got home to find a copy of Vol 1.

Also bought nice clean used copies of The Raspberries' Fresh, and Rickie Lee Jones' The Magazine.

But yeah, new records are expensive. Even the used ones were going for what they would have been new back in the late 80's, I think I paid $12 for The Raspberries, and $8 for RLJ.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Bought the Complete Big Star's Third Vol. 3 which came in a cardboard slipcase to also hold Vol's 1 and 2, I found Vol. 2 in their regular vinyl section, and had to go to Amazon when I got home to find a copy of Vol 1.
    haha. "that's how they get ya," grandad would say.

i like big star. saw the doc recently. pretty good film.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

off the back
    Yeah, I saw the documentary a couple months ago. Very well done. The home movies that Chris Bell and Andy Hummel shot in the studio were a wonderful look into them at the time.

Probably could have bought the entire 3 volume box set online for less money, but that wouldn't have been the same shopping experience.
    Last edited by rufus; 04-23-2017 at 04:45 AM.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Visited my local independent record store today (if by local, you mean an hour and a half away) for Record Store Day, and I think it's been a couple years since I was there last. Their space for new vinyl records has probably tripled from what it was the last time I was there.

Also bought nice clean used copies of The Raspberries' Fresh, and Rickie Lee Jones' The Magazine.

But yeah, new records are expensive. Even the used ones were going for what they would have been new back in the late 80's, I think I paid $12 for The Raspberries, and $8 for RLJ.
    Wish I'd been out and about for Record Store Day, but I wasn't feeling well, and missed it. The horrible, long-lasting flu that I thought I'd kicked seems to be attempting some sort of Corey Feldman-like comeback... i.e., no one wants it, but it keeps showing up anyway.

Hope you scored some deals and/or sentimental favorites.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12