Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    take on me

The Vinyl Resurgence

The recent turntable thread got me to thinking, "Hey, how good are vinyl record sales REALLY doing right now?".

Turns out, better than I thought. As of 2016 they're back up to about 6% of total music industry revenue, and sales for vinyl are higher than they've been since 1988.

Still don't think streaming and downloads are going to wake up in a cold sweat or anything – at least in most markets – but it is pretty amazing nonetheless.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.468599374f1c

System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep.....Funny how it works...I go to the bookstore and they are selling Kiss Destroyer in Vinyl?? We have a Vinyl Record store here now. Actually pretty cool since they, besides selling new/used vinyl, have CDs...and a good selection at that. I actually get to hold/feel what I am going to purchase. I love seeing the Vinyl Jackets again....some of the Jacket Art is just cool. Something really unsatisfying about purchasing digital music these days and I, for one, hope this Vinyl trend continues. CDs are still my preferred choice though...Thanks for the post!
    So I tuned the Larrivee, drop D, then DADGAD.

Eddy 53:11
    It was fun flipping through records . . . that soft, "thump" sound as you're fingers walked atop each jacket, teh smell of vinyl and dust; always a surprise as each new cover was revealed.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    The recent turntable thread got me to thinking, "Hey, how good are vinyl record sales REALLY doing right now?".

Turns out, better than I thought. As of 2016 they're back up to about 6% of total music industry revenue, and sales for vinyl are higher than they've been since 1988.

Still don't think streaming and downloads are going to wake up in a cold sweat or anything – at least in most markets – but it is pretty amazing nonetheless.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.468599374f1c

Vinyl went away not because it wasn't popular, but because it was pushed out by the record industry. They made more money on CDs. The final blow came when they stopped buying back unsold LP inventory from record stores. After that, stores only bought popular titles, which tilted the balance even more toward CDs.

Now LPs are making a comeback because the record companies can sell them for a premium.

It's a shame. I've always preferred the sound over digital.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

take on me

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    How close are vinyl sales to CD's? I didn't see it in the report. I do note that streaming was half of total sales so records are actually pretty big for whats left.

I do feel for the youngsters out there who only know music from horrible downloads and tiny little speakers. It seems that music quality has gone full circle back to the sound of the close and play 45's.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    Vinyl went away not because it wasn't popular, but because it was pushed out by the record industry. They made more money on CDs.
    the way i remember it, it was demand, not supply, that pushed vinyl out of stores to make way for the necessary shelf space of the format customers were demanding, cassettes.

you could play cassettes anywhere, especially in your car, where a lot of hi-fi dollars were being spent. this was before cd's even caught on.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Things change. Formats change. I have some 7" 45 rpm box sets inherited from my dad. Anybody want to hear the sound track to the movie Aaron Slick from Punkin Crick? I've got my share of prerecorded cassettes from the cassette era. Some of 'em in Dolby! I've got 78's, though I haven't had a player to play them on since the 1970's. I've got several 'welcome to stereo sound' lp's from the late 50's-early 60's that feature stuff like trains roaring by and tap dancers tapping. I have an early 1950's mono lp that welcomes us to the wonderful new world of hi-fi The lp features soundhorn-to-wax performances from the early 20th century matched up with performances newly recorded in New Orthophonic High Fidelity. Toscanini in the Teens vs. Toscanini in the Fifties.

I still don't have any hardware to play straight-on digital stuff. And yes, my best vinyl does sound better than my best CDs and SACDs. But the bug is biting me. And some of those CDs/SACDs sound extremely good, in any case.

Just as it is with most everything else, the skill and artistry of the maker is more important than the actual materials or tech.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

off the back
    Yeah, and the record industry is making sure they make money from vinyl. New records cost like three times what a cd goes for these days. That's just robbery.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Yeah, and the record industry is making sure they make money from vinyl. New records cost like three times what a cd goes for these days. That's just robbery.
    There's some truth to that, but 'three times' seems like a stretch, at least on average. For instance, Led Zeppelin IV on vinyl from Target is $21, the CD is $14.50. The Beatles' Let It Be, $19 and $13, respectively.

I think it's more difficult/costs more to press a good-quality record than to make a CD. And inflation-adjusted, vinyl prices on the 'sane side of the street' are about what they were in the '80s.

But you're right, there's also an 'insane side of the street' too. There are prices on some vinyl ($35-40) that are pretty laughable. As with anything cool, there's going to be a certain # of greed-heads out there wishing to exploit it. All you can do is 'just say no' to them, and maybe with poor sales they'll catch the clue on pricing.

But the bottom line for me is, if my system can make a record sound quite a lot better than a CD, then I don't really want or need the CD. The buying/owning experience also seems better... the large artwork, the look, the feel. You hold vinyl in your hands, and it's like, Hey, I got something here.

Others' mileage may vary.

a real member's member
    Led Zeppelin IV on vinyl from Target is $21, the CD is $14.50. The Beatles' Let It Be, $19 and $13...
    i had the fourth zeppelin album on vinyl. it had a gatefold. let it be is probably normal packaging.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    So I found this site, mainly a place for new artists/emerging musicians, kinda interesting.
    Music Promotion For Independent Musicians | Disc Makers Blog
    They will make you 200 vinyl records, with all the packaging, sleeve, wrap, etc - soup to nuts - for 1700. shipped. That's $8.50 / record - *cost*.
    So vinyl does have inherently higher costs than digital, there is literally more material involved. And btw, it weighs more, so costs more to ship in volume.

On the same site, they have a really good history of vinyl sales, and talk about the resurgence of records. The club scene, it turns out, kept the few records plants that were left alive after the 80's. Underground club DJ's who play LPs exclusively, for dance music, spawned a new genre of vinyl music artists and buyers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I still have most of my the records I bought in the 80s and early 90s. I've noticed a lot of my old and somewhat rare punk rock stuff is worth a decent amount of money now. I recently bought a cool U-turn turntable. But I still don't play them. I like Spotify.

I'll probably sell most of the collection in a few years and keep a few, maybe frame them for the wall or something. Love a lot of the old artwork.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Here is the article reference ^ above on vinyl sales history.
    The vinyl record revival is good news for indie artists

They compress the entire history very well -
    "The 33 1/3 RPM album became the dominant release medium in the late 1960s and ’70s, as American record buyers moved from 45 RPM singles to albums. Fans anxiously awaited not only the latest music from their favorite artists, but the album package itself, which became a palette that artists used to express themselves in a seemingly endless procession of funny, shocking, thought provoking or elegant pieces of artwork.Cassette albums and singles took off in the 1980s, which replaced the older, clunky 8-track cartridges in cars and allowed fans to make their own custom tape compilations. When the CD was introduced to consumers in 1982, the digital age of music was upon us and record labels saw the CD as the ultimate profit-maker as fans started to replace their aging and scratchy vinyl with the nearly indestructible compact disc. Record stores rightly were concerned that carrying vinyl, cassettes, and CDs on each title would require new fixtures and much more real estate. So labels and retailers rapidly phased out vinyl albums in favor of CDs. Soon after, by the mid-90s, cassettes were phased out too, leaving the more profitable CD as the primary record release medium for the music business from the late 1980s until the advent of the iTunes store in 2003."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Then on to today
    "DJs used vinyl as the basis for their art form. In fact, the thriving underground club culture, which consistently supported a small but loyal market for 12” vinyl releases, is what kept the few surviving vinyl pressing plants alive through the 1990s and into the new millennium.So-called house music, which grew out of DIY dance parties held in warehouses in Chicago, Detroit, and New York, relied on vinyl as the optimum format for creating live sets. The term “cratedigger” refers to DJs with massive vinyl collections built up by scouring thrift shops and used record stores searching through hundreds of crates, bins, and boxes to find obscure albums that contained music suitable for their performances."

"In 2006, a strong uptick in vinyl sales was noted, largely spurred by millennials, to whom the LP was actually a “new format.” The combination of the 12” sleeve and its artwork, with the realization of the warmer, richer sounds emanating from the turntable when compared to an MP3, created a loyal following of vinyl lovers that has been steadily growing.
    According to Slate.com senior technology writer Will Oremus, “Many prefer [vinyl], whether for the sound quality, the nostalgic appeal, or simply the beauty of a vinyl record as a design object. Within the music industry, vinyl’s renaissance is also tied to notions of ‘the album’ as a cohesive artistic statement, usually by an actual band.”
    The tangible album spinning on a turntable has a coolness factor that blows away MP3s, while liner notes, colored vinyl, and the delicate sound of the needle hitting the run-in groove are once again becoming anticipated experiences for vinyl fans young and old."

a real member's member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cool and a bit saddened by some of those graphs/charts. Cassettes? I found some at a pawn shop a week ago but I no longer have anything to play them on...A video vaguely associated with the glory days of CD shopping...
    So I tuned the Larrivee, drop D, then DADGAD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Inherited my uncle's vinyl collection as a teenager (he left all his records at my grandparents' house, and they told me to just take it.) He had great taste- lots of Beatles. I loved it.

Stored the records at my father's house, which got flooded by Hurricane Sandy. Really miss the art and the lyrics, but at least I can still enjoy the music online.

Also miss my 45s collection. Got a lot of those on sale at a pizza place that was converting its jukeboxes to CDs or something, back in the eighties. They were like 25 cents each or so. Those were fun too, though not valuable.

Lost in Space...

It doesn't hurt that they often package the digital download and/or a cd with the vinyl. I haven't bit, because I don't have a record player any more... but I've considered paying a few bucks more for the package in order to gift a copy to one of my hipster friends.

I honestly don't hear the difference in a meaningful way... and I'm a snob about analog over digital synths and tube amps over solid state. Record scracthiness cancels out any benefit of warmth imho.

take on me
    Geez, even Forbes has something to say 'bout it... $1 billion in vinyl sales for 2017 projected.

It's now a mainstream thing, I guess. There aren't that many hipsters out there.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jordanp.../#79be9c624054

off the back
    The thing for me with vinyl, is when you put a record on, you actually have to sit there and pay attention to it, to really listen. You have to pay attention, because you need to get up and flip it over after 20 minutes or so. You've got the big album jacket, good artwork, and hopefully some good liner notes and credits to read through while listening. On cd's, that stuff is too small to read.

Wit cd's and other formats, you put it on, and then wander around the house doing other stuff while it plays. You're not vested in paying attention to it, it's just something there in the background while you're doing dishes or something.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

Banned forever.....or not
    I've got all my albums from the 60's. All pretty worn out. I've even got a bunch of 45's.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

take on me

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleherder View Post
    How close are vinyl sales to CD's?
    Just ran across the Q1 2017 numbers... CDs sold 19 million units in the quarter, vinyl sold 3 million.

CDs are still quite a bit more popular, but bear in mind that vinyl is up from, well, almost nothing just a few years back.

Both formats are experiencing strong competition from streaming/downloads, of course... CD sales have been falling quite a bit, and vinyl's rapid growth of the past few years is starting to slow.

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    Vinyl went away not because it wasn't popular, but because it was pushed out by the record industry. They made more money on CDs [back then].
    Yup. Record company execs and record store chains really loved that they could sell CDs for $15-18 a pop, as opposed to $9-10 for LPs. Of course, those prices have now reversed... LPs command a premium over CDs currently.

And of course, the move to CDs unwittingly sowed the seeds of destruction for many big record store chains like Tower and dented the music industry as whole.

The move to digital plus this new thing called 'the internet' opened the floodgates to mass piracy. The music industry didn't help itself by keeping CD prices high, and in many cases killing off the CD single, i.e. a reasonably-priced way for the kids to 'cherry-pick' and buy the songs they actually wanted.

There was this whole generation of kids who no longer really went into the record stores because they couldn't afford it, and thus they were oh so ripe for something like Napster to come along.

The music industry kinda got what they deserved, really.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast