Q: How boned are the neighbors?

A: Boned

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/is...aii/ar-AAwSm4a

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post

Well, at least they are in better shape than the residents of Pompeii.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

While I feel bad for them, they did build there knowing it was an active volcano and they accepted the risk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    While I feel bad for them, they did build there knowing it was an active volcano and they accepted the risk
    Many residents of Hawaii, particularly native Hawaiians and other long time residents (i.e. non-millionaires with winter houses etc.) are actually kinda poor. If they were born there and inherited a house or live in one with extended family, they may not have any choice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Many residents of Hawaii, particularly native Hawaiians and other long time residents (i.e. non-millionaires with winter houses etc.) are actually kinda poor. If they were born there and inherited a house or live in one with extended family, they may not have any choice.
    The article gave me the impression that the Leilani Estates neighborhood where the homes were destroyed sprung up as a development because of the cheaper land prices. The pictures I saw on the news showed some pretty nice houses

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    The article gave me the impression that the Leilani Estates neighborhood where the homes were destroyed sprung up as a development because of the cheaper land prices. The pictures I saw on the news showed some pretty nice houses
    That's probably true about cheaper land prices. We stayed north of there (Fern Forest) a few months ago in an off-the-grid "house" built by two brothers from Maui. They said it was one of their last chances to afford a place in their home-state.

I was half-heartedly researching a move to Hawaii and "cheaper land prices" is certainly a relative term.

It would be a tough choice for a local to make - either continue working 4 jobs to pay rent on a shack, move off-island, or move to the only place you can afford to own and risk the volcano - something most other people consider a geologic event not likely to occur in our lifetime.

Darling of The Lounge
    I considered moving to Pahoa a few years ago. That area of the Big Island is one of the few places left in the state where you could get over an acre of land and a nice home south of 500K.

Then, I found out USAA wouldn't issue a policy due to it being in a past lava zone.

Glad my head talked my heart out of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I considered moving to Pahoa a few years ago. That area of the Big Island is one of the few places left in the state where you could get over an acre of land and a nice home south of 500K.

Then, I found out USAA wouldn't issue a policy due to it being in a past lava zone.

Glad my head talked my heart out of it.
    That why I love here in New Jersey. Sure there are insane taxes, traffic, polluted air, and cranky people, but its 100% volcano free

RoadBikeReview Member
    nearest Volcano is like 80 miles from me (I see it every day), but I am in high earthquake risk zone. But my insco upped the Earthquake ins cost to like $900/yr, so I dropped it. if the house comes down it saves me the cost of knocking it down as I planned to do anyways
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

a real member's member
    awesome pics in that link, op.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    This.

10 - 12 years ago, you could get an acre or two of land in that area for $3000 - $5000.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    We bought land on Hawai'i Island last year. Our property is not anywhere near this. I grew up there. I would NEVER buy land where these people are.

During our land purchase, I found out that insurers will not insure the house if it is in Lava Zone 2 (at high risk for lava flows) or Lava Zone 1 (fountains of lava in your back yard). And most major banks will not give you a mortgage for homes in these areas.

Fountains of lava in people's back yards is not a new thing. The Kapoho eruption in 1960 was pretty much the same scenario. The town of Kapoho (about 4 miles from Leilani Estates) no longer exists.

And by the way, these houses don't have municipal water. They have catchment systems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That why I love here in New Jersey. Sure there are insane taxes, traffic, polluted air, and cranky people, but its 100% volcano free
    You forgot intractable coastal and inland flooding. At least you can get insurance for that. For now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    You forgot intractable coastal and inland flooding. At least you can get insurance for that. For now.
    After my post I decided to look up if there really were ever any volcano in NJ. Turns out that Rutan Hill in Sussex county is on what was the Beemerville volcano, which was active around 440 million years ago. So NJ is practically just like Hawaii

welcome to the jungle
    New Jersey highway signs at the stateline:

"Yeah, yeah, we know... but hey, at least no volcanoes."

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

xxl
    What this thread needs:

More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Seat's not level
    The people who are buying [houses there] realize they live in a risk area.".... end of story.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

a real member's member
    i was found unconscious by the side of a flowing volcano.

can you guess what happpened?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    New Jersey highway signs at the stateline:

"Yeah, yeah, we know... but hey, at least no volcanoes."

If memory serves me, the state slogan of NJ is actually "Dafuq you lookin at?"
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    We bought land on Hawai'i Island last year. Our property is not anywhere near this. I grew up there. I would NEVER buy land where these people are.
    I agree. As they say in used cars sales, there's an arse for every seat.

Build and they will buy.
    Last edited by Eretz; 05-09-2018 at 02:47 AM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    What this thread needs:

Grrrrr, those ladies were my first crush. I have a volcano in my pants right now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There are over 11 volcanoes I can see from places on my rides. The biggest is very near and was growing 6 mm or cm a year. I hope it was mm.They say it's slowed down the last few years. One two hundred miles North of here blew up about 40 years ago, covered Western Washington and parts of Idaho with several inches of ash. Killed 30-40 people. In the summer time I ride up to the base of one, very long steady climb. It's 22 miles due West of my house. a little over a 2 hour ride, the ride back is very fast, speeds over 45 mph at times.

Not Banned
    if you build over a giant Caldera getting insured isn't going to happen. That whole area down there should have never been developed. Kalapana 1986, 1989, 1990, 1991. Royal Gardens 1983 was the beginning and Royal Gardens died in 2012
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    There are over 11 volcanoes I can see from places on my rides. The biggest is very near and was growing 6 mm or cm a year. I hope it was mm.They say it's slowed down the last few years. One two hundred miles North of here blew up about 40 years ago, covered Western Washington and parts of Idaho with several inches of ash. Killed 30-40 people. In the summer time I ride up to the base of one, very long steady climb. It's 22 miles due West of my house. a little over a 2 hour ride, the ride back is very fast, speeds over 45 mph at times.
    Subduction based Volcanoes are completely different beasts. Higher silica content means higher viscosity. They don't ooze, spurt and run, they explode. Rhyolite and Andesite are way nastier than simple Basalt. The end result is far more destructive and loss of property and life is far higher
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering