What the Hell is going on

The Walking Dead Season 8

I still like it. Karl leaving cans of food with no can opener and Rick leaving a baby in the crib. What a bunch of A-holes.

I still don't understanding what Rick strategy is. Attack the Sanctuary by shooting all the windows and then leave to attack the outposts? Makes no sense (just like the Saviors and Ricks group both went to Imperial Stormtrooper school of shooting). PAH-Leeeese.

I think Morgan is dead like in a "Sixth Sense" sort of way.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    I still like it. Karl leaving cans of food with no can opener and Rick leaving a baby in the crib. What a bunch of A-holes.
    If I'm willing to share my food with you during desperate times, that doesn't mean I'm willing to give you my other supplies as well. I gave you the food, you figure out how to eat it. And what else was Rick supposed to do with the baby while a gun battle was going on? Carry it around and use it as chest armor?

I still don't understanding what Rick strategy is. Attack the Sanctuary by shooting all the windows and then leave to attack the outposts?
    They shot out the windows, took out a lot of the defenses and lured in a bunch of zombies. If nothing else, it keeps that group of enemies busy for a while so they can concentrate on other matters. They're at a disadvantage when it comes to numbers.

All that said, I'm getting a little tired of all of the artsy filler fluff where we spend 5 minutes going from person to person with still shots or flash-forwards.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Misfit Toy
    Needs moar Carol the badass....
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    If I'm willing to share my food with you during desperate times, that doesn't mean I'm willing to give you my other supplies as well. I gave you the food, you figure out how to eat it. And what else was Rick supposed to do with the baby while a gun battle was going on? Carry it around and use it as chest armor?

They shot out the windows, took out a lot of the defenses and lured in a bunch of zombies. If nothing else, it keeps that group of enemies busy for a while so they can concentrate on other matters. They're at a disadvantage when it comes to numbers.

All that said, I'm getting a little tired of all of the artsy filler fluff where we spend 5 minutes going from person to person with still shots or flash-forwards.
    I hear what you're saying LWP, I have a skewed view of things. Carl leaving cans of food for Hadid only makes him beholding to Carl (no can opener). It' the give me a fish and teach me to fish thing, I guess.

Rick's mission was to secure the 50cal machine guns. Instead of finding the machine guns Rick finds a nursery instead changes the mission (Dwight deliberately lied to them). Why did Dwight want Rick to find the nursery? Besides, if Rick picked up the baby he would of have some leverage over Morales. Just sayin'

I still think Morgan is dead. When he literally walked to the light that long haired dude was holding a gun and said "Hey, I know that guy. Did they allow you to transfer too". In context, that doesn't make sense.

Man, all this time I though King Ezekiel's royal "schtick" was kinda lame. With the loss of Shiva and his army I can't help but feel helpless for the King. Maybe Rick's group didn't need the King but Jerry did. I admit I got a little teary when Jerry still calls Ezekiel "your majesty".

Still, the Imperial Stormtrooper shoot outs are a blight on the show so far.

Man, that totally took my by surprise. I hope this isn't another "crawling under a dumpster moment". And Maggie officially is more of a badass than Carol.

Cat 6
    Somehow I got sucked back in this season...I thought I cut the cord. Anyway, I binged it yesterday but admit to ffwd'ing thru any/all of the extended speeches by Rick, Ezekial, etc. and ffwd'ing thru all extended shootouts. The show is watchable with those removed. I still cannot understand the point of the thunderdome trashcan gang that speaks like they're 10 generations removed from a HS education.

Anyway, it's been ok this season minus the above....

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Man, that totally took my by surprise. I hope this isn't another "crawling under a dumpster moment".
    They're not keeping this one secret. Gimple confirmed, without any smoke and mirrors or double-talk, on Talking Dead that this is indeed endgame for that character. That the event will play out as it should. Based on what he said, it sounds like the character will go out in a blaze of glory but the character is definitely done... which deviates HUGELY from the comic book.
    - 10ae1203

They're not keeping this one secret. Gimple confirmed, without any smoke and mirrors or double-talk, on Talking Dead that this is indeed endgame for that character. That the event will play out as it should. Based on what he said, it sounds like the character will go out in a blaze of glory but the character is definitely done... which deviates HUGELY from the comic book.
    I know the viewership is down and some of my friends have abandoned the show but I think this season is one of the strongest one, thematically speaking. Sometimes, to maintain ones humanity in a zombie apocalypse, you have to be a little Negan.

After all is said and done I think the killing of Carl my have been motivated more by ratings than anything else. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    Somehow I got sucked back in this season...I thought I cut the cord. Anyway, I binged it yesterday but admit to ffwd'ing thru any/all of the extended speeches by Rick, Ezekial, etc. and ffwd'ing thru all extended shootouts. The show is watchable with those removed. I still cannot understand the point of the thunderdome trashcan gang that speaks like they're 10 generations removed from a HS education.

Anyway, it's been ok this season minus the above....
    Yeah, I don't know what's up with the Dumpsters. The only reason I see the Dumpsters existing is for Rick to take out his wrath on them (before Negan). What about the Oceanside group?

Misfit Toy
    I hate Carl dying, but I will accept it. I'm such an animal person, I couldn't watch Shiva's death.... Priorities..
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I just watched the 3rd show of the season. I still can't figure out where everybody is and what's going on.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    I just watched the 3rd show of the season. I still can't figure out where everybody is and what's going on.
    I'm wondering if I missed the first episode of the season or something.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I'm wondering if I missed the first episode of the season or something.
    Maybe. I thought the setup did a pretty good job of covering where everybody was going and what they were doing without getting too long winded about it and dragging it out. There is some jumping around between various groups on both sides of the fight throughout the season but nothing that left me wondering where we were.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    After all is said and done I think the killing of Carl my have been motivated more by ratings than anything else. Sad.
    And I thought he was planted on the show to get the female viewers, being the adorable teenage boy with the long flowing hair...

Anyone else missing the real bad environmental disasters that should have occurred by now?
    Or how many years into the plot is the show now and how many years can the dozens of nuclear power plants in the US hold on without any maintenance and check-ups? They might even be damaged by walkers.

Maybe. I thought the setup did a pretty good job of covering where everybody was going and what they were doing without getting too long winded about it and dragging it out. There is some jumping around between various groups on both sides of the fight throughout the season but nothing that left me wondering where we were.
    I wish they would stop with the flash forward scenes like in "Lost".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I wish they would stop with the flash forward scenes like in "Lost".
    I wish I had to self-control to stay out of this thread until I get caught up with the shows. Come to think of it, I learned about Carl losing his eye on RBR.com before I saw that episode too!

I agree the flash-forward is annoying and LOST was the worst offender.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Is Carl dying? Alls I saw was an injury to his torso. What was that from?

I've seen all the episodes now and still can't figure out what the heck has been going on. And how did everybody get into the underground pipes at Alexandria?

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Is Carl dying? Alls I saw was an injury to his torso. What was that from?

I've seen all the episodes now and still can't figure out what the heck has been going on. And how did everybody get into the underground pipes at Alexandria?

Carl's torso injury is a zombie bite from when he was helping Siddiq kill those zombies in the woods while bringing him to Alexandria. If you re-watch that episode, you can tell when it happens. It wasn't obvious when it aired but now that we know he was bit, it's easy to see when it happened. A torso bite can't be fixed so unless they're going to pull some hocus pocus stuff, he's done. The writer said on Talking Dead that he is indeed on the way out so unless that was some massive misdirection (pronounced: blatant lie), we will see the end of Carl soon. It's a huge departure from the storyline in the comic books, probably one of the biggest departures of the series so far. But the guy who does the comic books said he has no plans for them to end anytime soon and the show isn't going to sustain forever so changes will have to happen.
    - 10ae1203

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Oh.

Thank you.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I don't see it. The director shoulda given us a big ole closeup of it.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't see it. The director shoulda given us a big ole closeup of it.
    Huh? There was a big ole full screen closeup and they held the camera there for 4 seconds. It was really obvious that it was a bite.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Not that. I'm talking about when they were fighting the zombies. And that shot of the wound - when I watched the episode, I didn't know it was a bite. I thought he had gotten hit by a smoke cannister or something.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Not that. I'm talking about when they were fighting the zombies.
    There's nothing where he is definitively bit in that scene. That would have been a huge spoiler. Watching the scene again after knowing he was bit just makes it easier to see where it almost certainly happened. Start at 1:25 and got to about 1:31 and you'll see it...

- 10ae1203

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Not that. I'm talking about when they were fighting the zombies.
    You weren't supposed to know it then. It would've ruined the ending scene.

And that shot of the wound - when I watched the episode, I didn't know it was a bite. I thought he had gotten hit by a smoke cannister or something.
    It was instantly obvious to me those were teeth marks. Combined with Ricks "oh sh!t" face, which I doubt he would've made if it were a different type of wound.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V