RoadBikeReview Member

Of wasp stings...

So, two weekends ago (two days short of the one year anniversary of getting hit by an SUV) I go for a ride and stop in a peaceful park I didn't know existed to stretch/eat/drink/etc. I find a nice little theatre in the park surrounded by trees and figure that its as good of a place as any to kick back for 5-10 minutes.

I lean my bike up against the bench in the back row, remove my helmet, unpack some food and head towards the otherside of the bench when $@!#$!! my ankle explodes. I smack at it but didn't see anything. I sit down and look to the left at the back of the bench in front of me only to see a wasp guarding a hole in the pole supporting the bench, I'm assuming its the bastard that got me and his nest is inside. I cautiously eat, go around the other side of the bench I sat on, load up and head home.

That night my ankle swelled a little around the sting, nothing out of the ordinary. I get up Sunday take the pooch for a jog and my foot is burning up and in pain, so I cut it short and head home to take off my shoe and see whats going on. What I find is the picture below.

I'm not allergic to wasps, so I found this disturbing and go to the Urgent Care the next morning (not paying a damn $150.00 emergency co-pay). Nurse tells me I had an allergic reaction, gives me some antibiotics and steroids for the swelling. Alls fine and good until Wednesday when my middle toe and the one closest to my big toe start shooting pain up my leg and feel like they are asleep. I figure its from the swelling, all we be fine when it goes down.

Fast forward to yesterday, swelling is all but gone, but those two toes still feel like they are asleep and I quite frequently get pain shooting through them if I move just so. Head back to the doctor today to find out that the wasp stung me right on a major nerve which controls most of the foot. I didn't realize it until the doctor starting doing the can you feel this routine that I have very little sensation on the entire top of my foot as well. Further I have limited function in those two toes. Doctor informs me that it could be six months to a year before I get full function and feeling back or possibly never.

Believe I'm heading back to that park this weekend with a can of RAID...

Back from the dead
    I was doing some work on my sprinklers last weekend and kept getting buzzed by wasps, hornets, and/or yellow jackets. So I grabbed a small board and stalked them as they buzzed along the lawn. When the day was done, I had killed 14 of them with that board, and was able to fix my sprinkers in peace. There's still a few left, but I'll get them sooner or later.

Yikes. Hope you heal quickly.

A few days before I packed up and switched coasts, I had a party in my backyard. One of my dogs was traipsing by a shrub near the deck when she took off across the yard and started yelping/dragging her butt through the grass. Turns out we had a canteloupe sized nest in the corner bush that I had never seen. Poor Ellie got stung right in the pooper.

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    I was doing some work on my sprinklers last weekend and kept getting buzzed by wasps, hornets, and/or yellow jackets. So I grabbed a small board and stalked them as they buzzed along the lawn. When the day was done, I had killed 14 of them with that board, and was able to fix my sprinkers in peace. There's still a few left, but I'll get them sooner or later.
    Or you could just ignore 'em.

Yeah, that's Gary Coleman
    That happened to me about a month and a half ago. I got roped into working at a summer camp for two days and the first day I get nailed on the ankle, right like that pic. My ankle was HUGE for about 3 days. I could barely gimp around the house, but I could squeeze my foot into my SIDIs and go out and roll around, but no real serious hammering.
    Just looking for a place to shed our skins- WSP

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Two weeks ago while biking a wasp flew down my jersey and managed to sting me twice. I looked like I was having a seizure as I was riding fixed (had to keep pedaling) while trying to kill the little bugger in my jersey. The sting sites itched like crazy for a week.