Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Flash! ah–ahhh!

Watching the Matrix Trilogy on AMC Saddens Me...

Sigh. Didn't sit through the whole thing, but it reminded me... why, oh why did they keep making Matrix movies after the first one?

Yeah, yeah, I know... they did it for money. Lots of it.

But the way they did it, wow, how sucky. The first movie was just about perfect, in so many ways, and really didn't allow for a very good sequel or sequels. And sure enough, the sequels did, indeed, suck. For the most part.

If they had to keep cranking the Matrix money-machine, the better way to go would've been to make a prequel... i.e. how the world got so messed up to begin with. How the machines ended up taking over. The First Man-Machine War. All that.

Sure, it would've ended on a downer note, but so did Star Wars Episodes I thru III. And those made all the money in the world.

Btw, I'm aware that it is now sorta hip to say, "Well, I didn't think the first movie was good either" (after all, The Matrix = successful, and success = mainstream = unhip).

I am sorry to report, you are high if you think so. That is all.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

I ride in circles..
    Dude.. you just gave them an idea for another movie. Now we'll see the prequel. I wonder if James Cameron will take over?!

I enjoyed the trilogy.. Fun geeky stuff. I own the box set..
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

banned
    AMC saddens me with all their commercials and editing. They once were commercial & edit free.

You Phillip mah census
    When the second film contained a 10 minute car chase i knew the writing was on the wall.

There ain't no spoon!
    There ain't no sanity clause... (Chico Marx)

I accidentally..a burrito. (Old Fuji)

Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times... (Phil Oakey)

Beetpull DeLite
    The first is a classic IMO....other two, not so much.

Grey Manrod
    Loved the first one, and really liked the second one. The third one sucked.

your text here
    the first was big because it came outta nowhere. i had known about "bullet time" tricks from back when they used it in timex commercials, so i wasnt too floored when it showed up in the movie.

the second one lost the comicbook, noir feel. no dutch angles. no cloak and dagger. and once they introduced an entire civilization thumping to drum and beat, it was over. part ogf the interest in teh first one was the feeling of isolation. now there is an entire populous? whatever.
    the car chase was good, except for the horrible animated agent jumping on the hood of the car. and watching now knowing that GM donated all the vehicles...hmmmm.
    heck, bad animation destroyed most of the fight scenes. and a few of the fight scenes were coeregraphed(sp) poorly. the movie could have been about 20 minutes shorter.

the third one? i think fell asleep on the floor about 10 minutes in.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love and hate the first one. I love it because it was a fantastic movie. I hate it because I went to a tech/engineering college right after it came out....black trench coats, pleather, knee-high boots on men were everywhere.

flinty-eyed moderator
    First movie was great, but the brothers who were its producer kind of went crazy afterwards--} True Hollywood Stories on E crazy- not the funny kind (or is that the funny kind now?).

Hence all of their movies afterwards have been filled with the inexplicable & crappy (see Speed Racer and the two sequels).
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by TWB8s
    AMC saddens me with all their commercials and editing. They once were commercial & edit free.
    This.

Matrix2&3 were Teh Suck.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

Steaming piles of opinion
    The thing that ought sadden you most is that you hold the first in such esteem that the other two seem somehow lesser.

Which is kinda ironic, given the series' overarching theme.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand
    First movie was great, but the brothers who were its producer kind of went crazy afterwards--} True Hollywood Stories on E crazy- not the funny kind (or is that the funny kind now?).

Hence all of their movies afterwards have been filled with the inexplicable & crappy (see Speed Racer and the two sequels).
    Didn't one of the brothers become a sister?
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Agree with most everyone.

I bought all the dvds because I really liked the first, and was collecting dvds like crazy back then, but 2 and 3 are still sealed today.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock
    Sigh. Didn't sit through the whole thing, but it reminded me... why, oh why did they keep making Matrix movies after the first one?
    The first one was 80% setup, so it would have been incomplete without some kind of sequel. That's the reason I didn't fall in love with it the way everyone else did: A lot of talk, a lot of explanation, a lot of exposition.

Though Carrie-Anne Moss looked hot in latex.

The second and third ones got so exponentially bad that they detracted from whatever charm/mystique the first one had.

The W. brothers peaked at Bound, which is a true classic.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    The last VHS I bought was The Matrix

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    It was originally planned as a trilogy. But by the time they were doing the last two, the brothers had their minds on other things.... a divorce, Plasticman, V for Vendetta, etc...

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    Didn't one of the brothers become a sister?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wachowski_brothers

Maybe. That plus their mania for secrecy = wackiness. Not to mention a whole bus load of craptastic expensive to make movies. . .
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Grey Manrod
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1
    The thing that ought sadden you most is that you hold the first in such esteem that the other two seem somehow lesser.

Grey Manrod
    C'mon, I'm the only one that liked the second one?!?

Mehpic
    BTW- there is a prequil out there- rent The Animatrix. in one of the "shorts" (rennesance?) it goes into the first trial of a robot murdering a human.

also, I, Robot is sort of related.
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

Rep *****.
    The Matrix worked for me because it was original sci-fi but by the time you get to the sequels its no longer original. The battle scene on the dock in Revolutions was cool. I like contraptions and gadgetry.

I'll take bad movie sequels over one of those "pretty white folks with problems" reality shows any day.

AIE
    midnight melon mounter
    Their best work is the Bulls intro:

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wachowski_brothers

Maybe. That plus their mania for secrecy = wackiness. Not to mention a whole bus load of craptastic expensive to make movies. . .
    This is quite a read.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...arry_wachowski
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1

It's not enough to have an overarching theme.. you still have to execute.

The first one did that very well. The other two, not so much.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:

Platypius:

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    Quote Originally Posted by TWB8s
    +1000 on the edits. A surprising amount of stuff got cut out of the Matrix movies when I was watching... it's like they weren't just going for a PG-13 cut, but a PG cut. W-T-F?

Why not just go all the way, and have everyone sit around and share apple pie and homey small talk?

Neo: "So, Agent Smith, do'ya reckon it'll rain?".

Smith: "It might. Lordy my, it just might."

Neo: "More pie?"

Smith: "No thanks, I'm saving room for some of Trinity's delightful almond clusters."

Kitty:

Platypius:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast