Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    played my first PRS in 86 (was a Gold Top). Bought one in 87.
    I tend to play my 335 mostly because it is semi acoustic and I can hear it. It's a 1962.

I've owned 1 Strat, could never get over turning myself don all the time (volume knob position doesn't jibe with my right hand) plus too many EQ tweaks to work with my other guitars
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

xxl
    This is what mine looks like, a '68 LP Custom (but mine is missing the p/u covers, as was the fashion of the day, and I swapped the tuners for Grovers). Pretty much the only electric I played gigging bitd, except for a Tokai copy of a Strat that I sold (and really regret selling--they were fine guitars):

Oddly, I actually prefer a larger-scale neck (cf. the Tokai), and my acoustics are all 25.25-25.5 necks.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I had a 1966 black paneled Fender Vibrolux for many years. Truly superlative tone. Those 6L6 tubes sing like an angel. Perhaps the best quality reverb ever, too. I finally got sick of lugging it around so I sold it to a guitar player buddy...who of course needed still one more vintage amp for his collection. In its place is now a Carr Rambler...tubed with 6L6's as well. Ninety percent of the tone of that Vibrolux but with a much smaller footprint and a good deal less extraneous noise.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    such an awesome scene. Probably a half a million $s plus worth of guitars used for it in today's market
    That first Les Paul is probably $250 grand
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    This is what mine looks like, a '68 LP Custom ...

yowza. that's n i c e.

i'm getting back into it! i started playing some piano back home over the holidays, and when i returned, i missed making music, and decided to pick up my martin acoustic and start playing a lot.

been learning some new songs: creedence, wilco, smog, neil young. so much tab out there!

had to buy acoustic strings today for the first time in years! didn't even know the gauge i needed. had to watch some youtube to decide on the martin m540 light gauge (.012) phosphor bronze as sold here.

i took the prs electric out of its coffin too. need to restring it too and crank the little marshall up to 11.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    . . . except for a Tokai copy of a Strat that I sold (and really regret selling--they were fine guitars):
    No question. The '78-82 Tokai Les Pauls blow away anything Gibson was making. Basically they were Gibson Custom Shop equivalents. Of course now a days their prices reflect this.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    My newest axe:

It's not much...just a little ol' Ibanez bass. I'm digging the single pickup on this! I never thought I'd say this, but less is more. Looking at my other electrics, it sorta makes sense...between 2 Teles, a project Ibanez/Les, and a Strat, the only one that I really use the switch on is my Strat. Part of me wants to hot-rod the bass, but then again, there's no need for it. I do want to do a couple aesthetic mods, but that's probably going to be the extent of it.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

your god hates me
    I'm primarily a bass player by trade, but I play enough guitar to be dangerous...mostly to my own reputation. Here's what I've got:

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    I'm primarily a bass player by trade, but I play enough guitar to be dangerous...mostly to my own reputation. Here's what I've got:

Roland Guitar Synth? Crimson fan? Love that color of PRS. Benson on the bottom?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails we haven't had a guitar thread in a while...-screen-shot-2018-02-03-11.02.19-am.jpg   we haven't had a guitar thread in a while...-img_2099_2.jpg  
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Ricardo Cabeza
    I've got some spare cash, I'm probably going to ask my HS buddy Josh Gravelin to make me a set of pickups to replace the standard pickups in my Gretsch 5120. I ran into him in the bar last year when I was up in MN picking up some parts, we started talking about old times and then on to being small business owners, and he said something about making custom guitar parts. LOL.

I'm going to buy one new guitar, something NICE, probably spend around $3k. I'm waffling between a nice Breedlove dread or a National resonator.

My playing ability doesn't really justify spending that much, but whatever. I want one, so there

I'm also going to send the toasted EW3 from my CRX up to King Motorsports and have it rebuilt to FSP specs, but that's another thread.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lol on the thread dredge. Here's what I've purchased since I started this thread over a year ago.

Fender Princeton used off Craigslist
    Fender 60th Anniversary Cabronita (USA made, 1 of 500 made) off eBay

Pretty happy with both. I need to start taking lessons again though....

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    Lol on the thread dredge. Here's what I've purchased since I started this thread over a year ago.

Man, I love the look of those Cabronitas.

your god hates me
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    Roland Guitar Synth? Crimson fan? Love that color of PRS. Benson on the bottom?
    Yes it's a Roland guitar synth (G-303 guitar, modded w/ a Kahler wangbar and a Bill Lawrence pickup in the neck position that's selectable between single coil and humbucker). I also have the original blue GR-300 synth box that goes with it. Don't get a lot of call for that sound these days, but when you do there's nothing else like it!

Yeah, I'm a Crimson fan, though I'm not sure that's what prompted me to buy the GR. Originally used that guitar with the GR-700 synth in a band that needed big atmospheric thickening, but that synth sucked, so I sold it. The guitar is a real keeper though, so I just figured I'd let the hex pickup/electronics go dormant and use it as a "normal" guitar. And then a few years later I found an incredible deal on a second-hand GR-300 -- $90! -- so I couldn't resist.

Yeah, I love that PRS color too. Back and sides are a deep cherry red, like that classic Gibson SG color, and there's a thin natural maple binding between the red and the yellow top. One of the producers who regularly hires me for session work calls that guitar "Mean Mister Mustard"

That Ibanez is not one of the GB models, just a lowly Artcore AF-75. Feels fabulous, but could stand to have the pickups upgraded.

Inching to 1000 (again)

Hey Henry,

Nice Cab. Just put mine on Craig's List.
    we haven't had a guitar thread in a while...-front-whole-2.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Chance View Post
    Hey Henry,

Nice Cab. Just put mine on Craig's List.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front whole-2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	321791
    Nice one! MIM?

I have a nice MIM Blacktop Tele that is gathering dust. I put it briefly on eBay but no takers so I'm just keeping it for now.

Inching to 1000 (again)
    Nice one! MIM?

I have a nice MIM Blacktop Tele that is gathering dust. I put it briefly on eBay but no takers so I'm just keeping it for now.
    It’s a American made Tele-Bration like yours. Great guitar, but it just doesn’t get played. I have a few other Teles, including a ‘64 AV, which I like more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    i'm getting back into it! ... been learning some new songs: creedence, wilco, smog, neil young...

had to buy acoustic strings today for the first time in years! ... martin m540 light gauge (.012) phosphor bronze as sold here.
    these strings hurt like hell! and they brighten my martin j1 into something completely different. so loud and shiny. i'm excited.

i've been learning these songs:

- effigy, ccr
    - river guard, smog
    - blood red bird, smog
    - certain kind of fool, eagles
    - bitter creek, eagles
    - hey that's no way to say goodbye, l.cohen
    - shouldn't be ashamed, wilco
    - pick up the change, wilco
    - blue eyed soul, wilco

playing, singing, and the stimulated brain function required to memorize the lyrics/changes are all giving me a new winter outlook.

i'd be interested in what some of you guys like to sing and play at the same time on acoustic guitar. what songs fit your voice?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    these strings hurt like hell! and they brighten my martin j1 into something completely different. so loud and shiny. i'm excited.

i've been learning these songs:

- effigy, ccr
    - river guard, smog
    - blood red bird, smog
    - certain kind of fool, eagles
    - bitter creek, eagles
    - hey that's no way to say goodbye, l.cohen
    - shouldn't be ashamed, wilco
    - pick up the change, wilco
    - blue eyed soul, wilco

playing, singing, and the stimulated brain function required to memorize the lyrics/changes are all giving me a new winter outlook.

i'd be interested in what some of you guys like to sing and play at the same time on acoustic guitar. what songs fit your voice?
    Hey, not bad. I prefer Martin Bluegrass or Retros on my 'coustic. The Retros last for AGES, and the Bluegrass ones only really last about a month before they get all gross.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It’s a American made Tele-Bration like yours. Great guitar, but it just doesn’t get played. I have a few other Teles, including a ‘64 AV, which I like more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow! I've mostly seen the black ones. Very cool. I keep hearing great things about the '64 AV.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    I prefer Martin Retros on my 'coustic. The Retros last for AGES...
    i might check those out next time. i watched a couple youtube videos comparing the sound between strings, but they didn't offer me much in definitive info.

Inching to 1000 (again)
    Wow! I've mostly seen the black ones. Very cool. I keep hearing great things about the '64 AV.
    The entire American Vintage line, '52, '58, and '64, are phenomenal guitars. In my limited experience, they are compatible with Fender Custom Shop guitars, but at a much lower price, although they are not cheap. Alas, they have been discontinued, although there are still new ones out there in shops. I have a '52, which I got a nice discount on, on layaway, while I sell the Cab. I highly recommend trying one if you can.

The '52 —

we haven't had a guitar thread in a while...-img_1903.jpg

Name:  IMG_1904.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  179.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1906.jpg
Size:  187.9 KB

RoadBikeReview Member
    The entire American Vintage line, '52, '58, and '64, are phenomenal guitars. In my limited experience, they are compatible with Fender Custom Shop guitars, but at a much lower price, although they are not cheap. Alas, they have been discontinued, although there are still new ones out there in shops. I have a '52, which I got a nice discount on, on layaway, while I sell the Cab. I highly recommend trying one if you can.

The '52 —

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1903.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	321817

Name:  IMG_1904.jpg
Size:  179.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1906.jpg
Size:  187.9 KB
    Yeah, that one is the next one on my list, though I like some things about the new American Original 50s one as well.

Inching to 1000 (again)
    Yeah, I'm curious about the new American Original line, but haven't seen them in stores around here, yet. THe name is a bit of a misnomer, especially with the 50's model because it uses a 9.5" radius fretboard. All 50s Strats and Teles had 7.25" radius boards. Personally for me, the neck shape, rather than radius is more important. Different pickups and finish, too.

Ricardo Cabeza

we haven't had a guitar thread in a while...

I just got back from the local Guitar Center. Picked up a Gretsch G9202 resonator for get this $300. They said it had a neck issue that couldn't be fixed. I spent 15 minutes adjusting the neck and got it perfect. Some idiot had tried adjusting it and ran the truss rod all the way out and tightened it in the opposite direction putting a huge bow in the neck.

The action was also too low. I took it apart and the top of the cone was bent down. A few minutes using my fingers and the rim of a coffee cup and I got it back in position.

Plays great now. Damn, this thing is LOUD.

It's also unforgiving. I sound like crap. Lol
    Last edited by Andy69; 02-10-2018 at 05:28 PM.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    we haven't had a guitar thread in a while...-image.jpegI built a three string cigar box guitar this past December. I play it with a slide, fret less. I can't play a normal guitar very well, but this CBG is pretty easy. It has a piezo pickup.

I'm planning a dobro CBG build with humbuckers.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast