Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

we haven't had a guitar thread in a while...

I have three guitars--two Teles and a Strat

I only really play the Standard Tele. The Blacktop Tele and Strat collect dust.

What should I do?

1. Nothing
    2. Buy another guitar
    3. Sell the ones you don't play
    4. Buy another guitar AND sell the ones you don't play
    5. Get a new amp

What the Hell is going on
    Or . . . learn to play bass.

FURST!
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Les Paul. A capacious hollow body.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Russian Troll Farmer
    OK, time to start a fight: Gibsons are better!!!!!

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post

What should I do?

1. Nothing
    2. Buy another guitar
    5. Get a new amp
    Don't sell them until you really are sure. I have ragrets over a sale in my past.

Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    Or . . . learn to play bass.

FURST!
    I like this one. Variety is the spice of life or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Les Paul. A capacious hollow body.
    Capacious bodies, mmm.

Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    OK, time to start a fight: Gibsons are better!!!!!
    That's not how we do it here, grasshopper.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    If you are not playing them and they don't fulfill some need then sell them and use the money for a guitar that you would play. Acoustic?
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

Tig
    Clear Lake, TX
    Tele's are the ultimate guitar, so keep them both. Yeah, keep the Strat, too.

Buy a new amp.

a real member's member
    what do you get when you marry a les paul and a strat?

a prs.

i have one of those, a mccarty gold top.

i don't play it much anymore. i usually play my martin. should probably sell the prs. anyone got $2k burnin' a hole in his pocket?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I used to have an acoustic and a Strat. Then, a buddy gave me a second acoustic, which I traded for a Tele. Then, I won an online giveaway for another Tele. Then, my wife bought me another acoustic for my birthday and Christmas. Then, I accidentally won 2 lapsteels on Ebay by winning at the lowest bid. Somewhere in there, I bought parts for an Ibanez Les-Paul-Junior style guitar that got refinished and rebuilt over the course of 3 years.

Acoustic 1 is a really nice sleeper...plywood top, dreadnought sized, and made by Peavey. It sounds splendid with the right strings (D'addarios do NOT play nicely with this guitar).
    The Strat is my least favorite, but it's set up really damn nicely and sounds and plays better than any other Strat I've ever tried...including a few CS "roadworns" and MIA Standards.
    Tele 1 is a cheap working man's guitar, designed for session players and gigging musicians. It screams under distortion, twangs like you wouldn't believe while clean, but every last component on there is cheap and expendable, so it spends more time on the blocks than it does being played.
    Tele 2 is a mahogany body assembled using US-standard parts and wired using Fender Broadcaster controls. It's heavy, but is really handsome, although the sound isn't exactly what I want.
    Acoustic 2 is a cheapo Recording King with a solid "whitewood" top that has cracked a few times over the Michigan winters. It's my beater...easy enough to chord with, and actually has a really cool chunky sound to it.
    Lapsteel 1 got sold at a slight loss at a swap meet...Lapsteel 2 has a permanent place attached to my Peavey solid-state amp. I'm working out the mechanics of a lapsteel, and with a little work, will probably get it. This puppy sizzles more than whines, so at the moment (I haven't cracked it open to play with the electric guts), it's a little more Allman Bros. than it is Hank Williams.
    Finally, Ibalez Paul is up on blocks as well. I toasted one of the pots, so there's no tone control on the bridge. I wanted it to be a cool, 50's style jazzbox, but the pickups are far too hot. It distorts like a mofo, and plays the heck out of Metallica and Hendrix, but is way too gravelly for what I wanted it to be.

Anyway, my advice to the OP is to get rid of the ones you don't play. I've got far too many for my meager skill level, and somehow, keep acquiring more. Trade them in for some money, or something that you'll use more.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I'm sure atp could shame us all with the number of guitars that have passed through his fingers, but me and Sogno have shuffled our way through a pretty good selection over the centuries. Ah, the nylon string guitar that me and my sister got on a trip to Tijuana when we were kids in the late 1960's. The miserable Orlando Gibson ripoff that my dad bought me in a moment of weakness. The Guild D-40 that I replaced the Orlando with (now I was buying musical instruments with my hard-earned lucre), and the 1967 Martin D-28 with the twisted neck that replaced the Guild. The neck on that guitar was twisted enough to make it impossible to play past the third fret, but damn that 28 could ring.

The straight-necked 1970 D-28 that played a lot better than the '67 and had nearly as good tone. The Martin 000-28 that sounded as tiny and dead as the now gone '70 D-28. The 1978 Martin M-38, which I still have and which still thrills me today. The frets and fingerboard are festooned with dings but the body and neck are still near immaculate after almost 40 years. And oh yeah, the gigantic-sounding D-18 GE I got in the early years of this century. And the tiny but soulful Gibson Custom Shop L-00.

For another day and another post -- Sogno's guitars, the banjos, the fiddles, the resonator laptop, the electrics, the succession of pianos.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    My brother passed away last November. While I could amaze you with his drum inventory (72 cymbals!), this is a guitar thread.

I've got to get rid of 23 guitars...

Musicians must be worse equipment junkies than cyclists.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lectric?? Get an acoustic for the damn 3am buggers that I get.....by 4am...they r usually gone. No need for an amp. &
    So I tuned the Larrivee, drop D, then DADGAD.

RoadBikeReview Member

What should I do?
    unless u play live, or just love electrics, I'd get some acoustics. Get maybe a nice Guild F -512 twelve string, a Martin 000-28 and some other six String acoustic tuned to some obscure tuning. I haven't played electric since I was in a band 18 years ago.

Cranky Old Bastard
    My best friend Steve (after 46 years) passed away in March. He was the best local player I've ever heard and owned only 3 (all bought new in late 60s or early 1970s) guitars: a blonde Tele, black Strat and sunburst Les Paul. He could play anything from twangy country to SRV to Led Zepplin.

Sell the extra tele and buy a good Les Paul.

He used to tell me that a decent player can make any guitar sing but there is a special connection that only forms after many thousands of hours wrapped around the guitar.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

disgruntled pigskin fan
    As others have suggested, get an acoustic.

Banned forever.....or not
    Last month, after 46 years after selling my stuff, I decided to get an Indonesian made, LP Epi, along with a Fender Mustang amp. In another month, I'll be ready to take off and join a Metal band. Turns out, I haven't forgot how to set up a guitar.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Not Banned
    are you gigging? If you are gigging sell the strat and keep the second Tele as a back up.
    If you ain't gigging sell the two you don't play and buy a really *****in' amp.

If you are happy with your amp, sell the two and buy and ES 335.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    what do you get when you marry a les paul and a strat?

a prs.

i have one of those, a mccarty gold top.

i don't play it much anymore. i usually play my martin. should probably sell the prs. anyone got $2k burnin' a hole in his pocket?
    I have 2 PRS's from when the company was young. I have an 87 Custom 10 Top (Moon Inlays) which was my 1st and most beloved (my work horse) and a n 89 Signature model (Quilted 10 top #464). The only mods to either were I swapped the original 1st Generation PRS pickups for Dragons (Thanks Bonnie @ artist relations @ PRS)
    If I had the $2K I'd do it. A Gold McCarty was next on my list. Couldn't figure out if I wanted the humbuckers or the P90s

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I'm sure atp could shame us all with the number of guitars that have passed through his fingers, but me and Sogno have shuffled our way through a pretty good selection over the centuries. Ah, the nylon string guitar that me and my sister got on a trip to Tijuana when we were kids in the late 1960's. The miserable Orlando Gibson ripoff that my dad bought me in a moment of weakness. The Guild D-40 that I replaced the Orlando with (now I was buying musical instruments with my hard-earned lucre), and the 1967 Martin D-28 with the twisted neck that replaced the Guild. The neck on that guitar was twisted enough to make it impossible to play past the third fret, but damn that 28 could ring.

The straight-necked 1970 D-28 that played a lot better than the '67 and had nearly as good tone. The Martin 000-28 that sounded as tiny and dead as the now gone '70 D-28. The 1978 Martin M-38, which I still have and which still thrills me today. The frets and fingerboard are festooned with dings but the body and neck are still near immaculate after almost 40 years. And oh yeah, the gigantic-sounding D-18 GE I got in the early years of this century. And the tiny but soulful Gibson Custom Shop L-00.

For another day and another post -- Sogno's guitars, the banjos, the fiddles, the resonator laptop, the electrics, the succession of pianos.
    I have a crazy Frankenguitar. Harmony Sovereign Body with a Gibson J 200 Neck and tailpiece. The Sovereign was the guitar Page used on most Zep recordings. But this has a sweet Gibson neck. I need to get the neck straightened and dialed to get it really playable. The sound, mmm booming

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    I have 2 PRS's from when the company was young.
    nice.

bought mine new in '94 or so.

started listening to more neil young and bought the martin a couple years later.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    are you gigging? If you are gigging sell the strat and keep the second Tele as a back up.
    If you ain't gigging sell the two you don't play and buy a really *****in' amp.

If you are happy with your amp, sell the two and buy and ES 335.
    Not gigging. Yeah, a Princeton Reverb is probably next on the list. Then maybe sell the Blacktop Tele and get an American Tele of some flavor. Pretty sure I'd regret selling the Strat so I'll keep that one.

Struggling with tinnitus so I blow hot and cold on this stuff...

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you don't mind paying the extra air conditioning bill to cool the house, and if your neighbors are not that close, a Fender Quad Reverb is nice to play with.

When I first was larnin to play, I got a Strat, and until I could figure out how to afford an amp, my buddy who was teachin me loaned me a Quad Reverb. Good Lord would that make any guitar sound good.

Ricardo Cabeza

What should I do?

1. Nothing
    2. Buy another guitar
    5. Get a new amp
    I have a Breedlove acoustic. I bring that on the road with me.

My Gretsch 5120 comes out once in a while. I have a small Traynor amp I picked up at a thrift store a few years ago.

My Les Paul sits in the closet. Haven't played it in years. It doesn't suit the music I like to play now. I'll never sell it because I would instantly regret it. It's a 1983 Studio (back when they were a Standard without the bling) with upgraded pickups. I've owned it for 30 years.

Don't sell anything.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Not Banned
    Not gigging. Yeah, a Princeton Reverb is probably next on the list. Then maybe sell the Blacktop Tele and get an American Tele of some flavor. Pretty sure I'd regret selling the Strat so I'll keep that one.

Struggling with tinnitus so I blow hot and cold on this stuff...
    get a black face super

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    nice.

bought mine new in '94 or so.

started listening to more neil young and bought the martin a couple years later.
    played my first PRS in 86 (was a Gold Top). Bought one in 87.
    I tend to play my 335 mostly because it is semi acoustic and I can hear it. It's a 1962.

I've owned 1 Strat, could never get over turning myself down all the time (volume knob position doesn't jibe with my right hand) plus too many EQ tweaks to work with my other guitars
    Last edited by atpjunkie; 09-16-2016 at 05:32 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast