Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    toomanybikes

Well, I got "buzzed", but good.

About a week ago I posted in a thread of Oarsman’s about how long it had been since had been “buzzed” on the roads.

I guess I should not have said it.

The last couple of weeks at work have been hell, and next week I am scheduled to be in a courtroom all week, so I figured to break out this afternoon and go for a long ride to clear the head.

It is hot and very humid out today but I was enjoying it, right up until the double slaps out the windows of a moving vehicle.

One high on my back, the other on my rear end. I don’t actually know how I stayed upright, but I did and instead of reacting or yelling at the vehicle I looked at it. A black Tahoe with four high school age kids in it looking back at me and laughing their heads off.

Until they saw me pull a phone out of my pocket, then the brake lights went on and they ripped off down a side street.

But I had the make and model, and the licence number. I also have something else they probably will regret.

The city I live in is policed by the RCMP and I am on the local Police Board, and speed dial #9 on my phone is the District Superintendent’s office.

I got his assistant who took all the details, said she would open the file, asked if I wanted the file number, when I said no, she laughed and said “ I guess you know where to find it”

Yup.

I asked if someone was going to be paying Daddy a visit, she said she knew just who to send.

Just before I hung up she said to me “do you me to inform their insurance company?”

Yes please.

It ruined my freaking afternoon, took the desire to ride out of it.

I came home. My back hurts. My rear end hurts.

But on the bright side someone’s getting a visit tonight.

Sticky Valentine
    We'll need an update on this please!

Fortunately you're connected. I'm imagining no one giving a damn if this happened to someone who wasn't.

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

corning my own beef
    Karma's a real *****, kids!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

Bacon!
    Hey, if that had been some cute chicks that had hit you you'd be asking us all if they were trying to pick you up.

Personally, (insert very nasty thoughts here).

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    That sucks, and is awesome at the same time.

JP
    Lizzie will ride free
    Good for you. I wish I had those connections.

Lately, I'm all zen when someone yells at me out the window, but getting hit is a different thing.

Yesterday, some clowns did the passing scream thing on a little uphill with a turn at the end. Then they forgot all about me as I caught them at the light. I screamed "Hey!" right in their window as I pulled up. The kid on the passenger side just about wet her pants.

But mostly I'm all zen.
    "Another shot of the 6th Street Bridge. I guess I'm feeling sentimental because word is they're going to tear it down and build a replacement." DrRoebuck

http://subterraneanhomesickrandonneurblues.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes
    About a week ago I posted in a thread of Oarsman’s about how long it had been since had been “buzzed” on the roads.

I guess I should not have said it.

Indeed, you were tempting fate. At least no serious injuries. Do keep us updated on the "visit". Given my occupation, I have several police officers on speed dial: all of them homicide investigators. That could make for an "interesting" knock on the door.
    As I grow older I will remember the first light on the water, my will to win, the strength of my arms and the power of the crew.

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgetop
    Hey, if that had been some cute chicks that had hit you you'd be asking us all if they were trying to pick you up.

They were trying to pick up on me, you guys just don't understand.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

Frog Whisperer
    TMB..........sounds to me like they picked the wrong guy to harass............ good for you, sorry they ruined your ride
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Glad to hear you are OK, I would have pee'd myself honestly. I too have many "connections" in the PD secondary to working in the ER for so many years. Sometimes being a police officers friend is a very good thing.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    OMG .... This makes my day and I wasn't even there.

Tell us who they sent and anything else that comes of it.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

toomanybikes
    Well, I know lots of the people at PD through the board.

The work I do means I have the direct dial numbers for all of the guys in Commercial crime.

AND, my next door neighbour is a constable and the Staff Sargeant is 4 doors down the street.

SOoooooooo, I know lots of the guys downtown.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, glad you are okay TMB, that's a scary thing to happen.

Oh, and you're always complaining about your arse being sore

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Careful there Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgetop

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    People (esp kids) are incredibly ignorant when it comes to actually realizing how much harm they can do a bike rider from a moving vehicle.

I'm really glad you weren't hurt.

RoadBikeReview Member

That is a wild

incident. I've had a coke bottle thrown at me but didn't hit me and I thought that was over the edge. Everybody's had someone yell at them but this incident takes it to the next level.

Hopefully, the teens will get the strictest punishment. It sucks that we have to use laws to enforce common courtesy/respect between people.
    I'm Hungry

Just Plain Bitter
    Glad to hear you kept it on 2 wheels. I am glad you are connected and some teenagers are going have a really bad time explaining to mommy and daddy what the hell they were thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    At the very least, they should be charged with vehicular assault, though I would prefer they be charged with attempted vehicular manslaughter, if there is such a thing.

These incidents are becoming more frequent, and this time it happened to a good friend.

Unless strong penalties are handed out, this type of behavior (behaviour?) will continue, and next time it could be one of us being killed.

Thank goodness TMB is one of the most experienced bike riders I know, and not only kept his balance, but his composure as well.

Press charges, toomany!

ab aeterno
    Quote Originally Posted by zmudshark
    At the very least, they should be charged with vehicular assault, though I would prefer they be charged with attempted vehicular manslaughter, if there is such a thing.

These incidents are becoming more frequent, and this time it happened to a good friend.

Unless strong penalties are handed out, this type of behavior (behaviour?) will continue, and next time it could be one of us being killed.

Thank goodness TMB is one of the most experienced bike riders I know, and not only kept his balance, but his composure as well.

Press charges, toomany!
    This seems a little severe especially for kids considering it's a felony and they slapped him on his back. Now if they had tried to run him over, I'd think something different. I think regular assault would do. Have them pay restitution and do some community service as well as apologize and maybe revoke the drivers license.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They hit him, twice, from a moving vehicle. He could have been killed!

Community service and restitution? Restitution for what? For almost killing my friend?

Throw the book at the whole car load of twits.

Revoking the licenses of the whole bunch would be a start, but not for 6 months, six years, maybe.

Or they could be let off with a slap on the wrists, and figure it's okay to buzz bicyclists.

Sorry, this is very disturbing to me. If they were close enough to slap him, they were close enough to run him over.

A Tahoe driving by teenagers against a guy on a bike? Vehicular assault.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by ARP
    once I caught a fish alive
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

ab aeterno
    Quote Originally Posted by zmudshark
    They hit him, twice, from a moving vehicle. He could have been killed!

Community service and restitution? Restitution for what? For almost killing my friend?

Throw the book at the whole car load of twits.

Revoking the licenses of the whole bunch would be a start, but not for 6 months, six years, maybe.

Or they could be let off with a slap on the wrists, and figure it's okay to buzz bicyclists.

Sorry, this is very disturbing to me. If they were close enough to slap him, they were close enough to run him over.

A Tahoe driving by teenagers against a guy on a bike? Vehicular assault.
    Just chill. It's not vehicular assault. Vehicular assault requires substantial bodily harm.

Frog Whisperer
    In the BEST case scenario, the parents actually give a rat's a$$ and make life a living hell for the kids for a LONG time, including NO car for a year or so. BUT...in this day and age.....finding parents that care is getting to be more and more like finding hen's teeth.

Seriously, where did the kids learn this kind of behavior?

perhaps if the kids are minors, lodging charges against the parent for gross negligence MAY be the best solution
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

Lemur-ing
    The parents would probably be aggrieved that you took their kids' 'fun actions' so seriously and be all pissy and hissy in all likelihood.

Or, they might just ground their kids for a week without more than 2 hours of tv a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

hit it
    I agree with ToG, except I'd take it a step farther and push for some court ordered community service.

Like a couple hundred hours for each of them & a good bit for the driver as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    But I'm not a douche. I'm awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast