Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I regret getting married when all the signals I had back then were telling me it was the dumbest and completely wrong thing to do. Still,I don't regret that totally because that led me to meet the woman I'm married to today that gave birth to our beautiful and healthy baby boy.

Grateful Ex-Clyde(-90lbs)
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Classes and studies came easy to me. As a result, I never really had to apply myself in elementary, through junior high, and into high school.
    If our shared experience is any indication, I'd say that lack of a academic work-ethic is a common-enough regret. It certainly is for me. Like you, I was able to completely skate in grade school, junior high and high school. I continued to skate in college, with a couple of effort-spikes along the way. [Basically, I did just enough to keep from getting drummed out of the Honors Program at my university-- and that was the one time I 'worked.']

The great unknowable, of course, is how my immediate post-college life would have differed if I'd been a perennial Dean's List student- rather than a Dean's List student just a couple of times. Surely, I would have had a better-looking transcript- and maybe one of those diplomas that said (something) Laude on it. Perhaps I could have proceeded directly into the White-Collar Upper-Middle-Class world, rather than live a decade-and-a-half in Working-Class Blue-Collar purgation.

Eventually I DID grow a work-ethic somewhere along the way. Now, if my 20-something year old self could see my situation now, a third-of-century later, I think that kid would have said "that's cool." A lot of self-abnegation and involuntary mortification of the flesh went into turning that situation around, however.

As I was reminded just yesterday, though... some people NEVER acquire a work-ethic. Wasting time can carry some tinges of sadness-- but wasting a LIFE through utter lack of effort is nothing short of pathetic.
    Ecumenical Road Cyclist- multiple group-ride levels, multiple distances, multiple frame materials.
    Praying for the unity of all.
    Have Merckx-y on us.

Fecal indicator
    made some bone-headed decisions over the years, but no major regrets.

however, if I had it to do over again, I'd avoid being a high-mileage runner for a decade...

might have saved the knees some abuse.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    I was part of a protest group that pissed off sitting President Ronald Reagan at one of his political rallies back in '84.

I regret not flipping him off, too.

I agree. If he had the public interest in mind he would have fired all public employees--not just the air traffic controllers.

On the other hand, who would be left to post on RBR if everybody had to produce something of value?

Sweet Potato Kugel
    I rode my bicycle everywhere all my life. I disassembled it for a ride back to Paris in a friend's BMW dirtying up his boot after a weekend with my wife at his place in Essonne. Going there, I rode behind her bus all the way from rue séguier to the Gare de Lyon and carried her weekend bag and my bike to her train gate, turning around and riding away. She was pregnant with our first child. I arrived 2 hours later in cold, wet weather in the month of February.

I never regretted one instance where experiences of life were at the helm of a drop bars, in fresh air and earning ones own freedom.

I regret nothing.

Ride on.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I regret most things.
    That the truth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    I regret after one unforgettable ride (not local) I drove home and proceeded to park in our garage (like I always do) with my bike still attached to the roof rack - that was the last time I rode that bike:-(
    Last edited by config; 1 Week Ago at 07:06 PM.

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    Regret not buying bitcoin years ago
    If you don't follow the liberal flock, you are called a troll.

Frog Whisperer
    you know what, I am going to rescind the "no regrets" response. I do regret not getting my degree in Biology is college. I was never good in the "arithmetic" part of math and at the time all calculations were done on a "slip-stick" I never managed to get my decimal point in the right place, which, resulted in a incorrect answer. Calculators were new and incredibly expensive. By the time I graduated, they were putting them in cereal boxes. I should have gone back for another degree...in Biology. AND after I retire, I just may get it. Just because!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    Dammit. ... !
    Got him.

But, I still LOVE soaking up information and doing research...if only there were a way to parlay that into a good career...
    If I won the lottery tomorrow and could do whatever the hell I wanted, I would chase down the answer to whatever was my question of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    I regret not dredging more threads.
    Be the change you want to see.

But really, how are you? Dont' wait so long to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    I regret not having more cultural experiences and being exposed to fine dining, art, theater, architecture, etc. while being raised.

When I went to college, it was like I fell off of the turnip truck. My parents drove me up I95 from Maryland, and I went through NYC and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I had never been north of PA. or further south than NC. I rolled up to college in Boston with a few school supplies and a duffle bag of clothes. It was a huge sacrifice for my parents to send me to college and I was dirt poor through school. Every penny I made in the summer was spent on tuition, so I didn't have cash to really take advantage of being in Boston. I was rapidly exposed to a world I never knew even existed. My ignorance often hamstrung me from experiences.
    Yeah, but maybe it also ignited something, and now you are open to seeing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I regret never having a mullet. Now that I am bald the best I can do is a skullet. 
    I had one, they are over-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    I rode my bicycle everywhere all my life. I disassembled it for a ride back to Paris in a friend's BMW dirtying up his boot after a weekend with my wife at his place in Essonne. Going there, I rode behind her bus all the way from rue séguier to the Gare de Lyon and carried her weekend bag and my bike to her train gate, turning around and riding away. She was pregnant with our first child. I arrived 2 hours later in cold, wet weather in the month of February.

I never regretted one instance where experiences of life were at the helm of a drop bars, in fresh air and earning ones own freedom.

I regret nothing.

Ride on.
    I raise my coffee to you this chilly morning. You are a beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    you know what, I am going to rescind the "no regrets" response. I do regret not getting my degree in Biology is college. I was never good in the "arithmetic" part of math and at the time all calculations were done on a "slip-stick" I never managed to get my decimal point in the right place, which, resulted in a incorrect answer. Calculators were new and incredibly expensive. By the time I graduated, they were putting them in cereal boxes. I should have gone back for another degree...in Biology. AND after I retire, I just may get it. Just because!
    Lolz at cereal boxes.

Do it. It is remarkably satisfying to finish a community college degree. I would imagine real college would be even more so.

half-fast
    I guess I owe a regret or two...

I agree with Mapei, in that mostly I stand with Francis Albert. Mostly.

I am sorry for killing time. I wish I'd never gotten a smartphone. A TV in my pocket is trouble. I'm reading books again, and have rediscovered the bookstore, so I have that going for me.

I regret opening that taco and sushi thread.

Master debator.

Yea, that would be a really bad use of your money just to have that piece of paper. Use it for an incredible vacation instead if you have to piss it away
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Yea, that would be a really bad use of your money just to have that piece of paper. Use it for an incredible vacation instead if you have to piss it away
    not for the piece of paper...In my life I have only ONCE given up pursuing a goal. That was it. MAYBE I COULD GET A SCHOLARSHIP???????
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    I regret nothing.
    Yeah but the title of this thread is "What do you regret doing or not doing?"

I'll go for the second serving (seem like a buffet here), I like spending money and time but I hate wasting them. I regret all the events which I wasted any one of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    not for the piece of paper...In my life I have only ONCE given up pursuing a goal. That was it. MAYBE I COULD GET A SCHOLARSHIP???????
    Or take the courses online for free, or practically free. Take them one or two at a time and really enjoy them. I went back to school after being let go in 2010 and took a couple free courses...really enjoyed them. But stopped when I started working again. It was a great feeling to see decent grades after all those years (like 34).

My regret - maybe I spent a little too much time partying my first 2 years in college?

- Naw, I had a lot of fun and did OK anyways, but the recovery from doing that took awhile. It was the mid 70's, bell bottoms, long hair, and no shortage of people looking to party. Being into computers back then was a REAL social stain, many of us were though, and hid it well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrasmak View Post
    If you bought $8,000 of BTC sometime 2007-2008 and did not sell until very recently you would several hundred million dollars today.

Incredible, eh?
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I probably regret not following what I love instead of having just a "job". However what I love to do wouldn't probably pay the bills. To that end I was accepted into the U.S. military academy, but I never went because at the age of 19 the thought of 10 years commitment to the Army seemed like forever. (I would have needed a 1 year preparatory period before 4 years at West Point and then a 5 year active duty commitment).

But looking back at my decisions I think I did what made sense at the time, so hindsight being 20/20 I still think things turned out okay. However that pension from 25 years in the military as an officer would be cool to have...
    Good one.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Back on topic
    Last edited by Eretz; 1 Week Ago at 10:10 PM.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Sadly, 2 of my favorite websites have undergone some SERIOUS negative changes in 2017. One completely closed up shop, and the other just today let the vast majority of their staff writers go.

Unfortunately, money's not where I want it to be, but I want to begin buying subscriptions to several more of my favorite sites before they go kaput...doing what I can to keep content active and interesting.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    If you bought $8,000 of BTC sometime 2007-2008 and did not sell until very recently you would several hundred million dollars today.

Incredible, eh?
    Even just dumping my savings into it a few months ago would have been a nice return
    If you don't follow the liberal flock, you are called a troll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Regret not sticking with the computer club in junior high. I was interested in learning how to program, but the boys ignored me. I might have had an actual career with some job security...........OR I'd still be just as outsourced as I am now, who knows!

Not many things I regret *doing.* Sure, I can cringe looking back, but whatever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrasmak View Post
    Or days ago...

a real member's member
    i regret beating that hobo with a wrench that night in cincinnati.

other than that ...
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Regret not sticking with the computer club in junior high. I was interested in learning how to program, but the boys ignored me. I might have had an actual career with some job security...........OR I'd still be just as outsourced as I am now, who knows!

Not many things I regret *doing.* Sure, I can cringe looking back, but whatever.
    I feel that one. When I was a junior and senior in high school, they actively discouraged us from pursuing a career in computers, saying that everyone and their duck who was my age was going into computers, setting up an artificial bubble in that career field. They encouraged us to go into things like engineering and nursing...and this was in 2005, as the housing market was collapsing around us locally (on the cusp of the Recession, but before it hit nationally), and new homes (and entire neighborhoods) were sitting vacant for months and years at a time. Our local market for new homes finally normalized sometime around 2012 or 2013.

I can't complain too loudly about the housing market though, since it left myriad empty subdivisions for me to do crazy stuff like this. In a slight twist of irony, I have a video of myself skating through a different subdivision, but I had to actually get off my board and walk through a huge patch of mud and gravel that had run off of several new homes. I would later go on to be hired by that developer, and part of my job was dealing with the legal ramifications of soil and gravel runoff.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Sweet Potato Kugel
    I feel that one. SNIP
    Knowledge.
    The most important ingredient is knowledge.
    The second most important ingredient is flexibility.
    The third is one's mobility.

You can never stop learning or adjusting or moving to where it matters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you regret doing or not doing?-figureditout_zps583b0dab.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast