Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

What do you regret doing or not doing?

It's gotten slow at work lately...so, I've been spending some time reading a few opinion boards over at Reddit. Among my favorite topics to read are about what you regret doing or not doing in the past...not necessarily "if you had it to do over, what would you do differently," but a little broader...If you really analyze yourself, and are open enough to consider that you may have made some mistakes in the past, what strikes you as the biggest?

I was always a "smart kid" in elementary school...I was in an advanced math/science class from 3rd through 6th grade, tested up into junior high math while in 6th grade, stuff like that. Classes and studies came easy to me. As a result, I never really had to apply myself in elementary, through junior high, and into high school. And, because I lacked the foundational knowledge of studying and learning, that came back to bite me in the arse in later high school and college.

Beyond that, every kid wants to be "cool." The world I built around myself was that getting good grades and being nerdy wasn't "cool." Or, in adolescence, studying and getting good grades is what the girls did...all of us boys joked around, didn't take anything seriously, and relied more on gumption than smarts. Everything came easy to the "cool kids," and the rest of us scrubs tried so hard to emulate their DGAF attitude...sadly, at the expense of learning and grades.

So, in an abstract way of thinking, I honestly regret the idea that I shunned the idea of learning, and learning how to learn, from a young age, which has had direct, cascading effects on my adult life, all these years later.

What's on your list?
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    regret not buying and using a bidet for the first 49 years of my life.

a real member's member
    "no regerts!"
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    "no regerts!"

Not even one letter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    I was always a "smart kid" in elementary school...I was in an advanced math/science class from 3rd through 6th grade, tested up into junior high math while in 6th grade, stuff like that. Classes and studies came easy to me. As a result, I never really had to apply myself in elementary, through junior high, and into high school. And, because I lacked the foundational knowledge of studying and learning, that came back to bite me in the arse in later high school and college.
    That sounds a lot like me, I was always fairly smart so up until the higher grades I did zero work and did fine. And yeah while I got through high school and college (here, primary is year 1-6, secondary 7-10, college is 11-12, then University) just, much to my mothers dismay (she was a school principle), this totally shafted me when I got to university. I had no clue whatsoever and bombed hard...but geez I did a lot of mtbing at the time instead of studying, that was fun.
    Theres lots of things that I'm happy about because my life went down that route (would never have met my GF otherwise), but I still regret that I screwed up so bad back then...
    All the gear and no idea

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Not even one letter.
    Dammit. I'd sacrifice my entire rep allowance for the rest of the year to hit that one.

Silly welfare-state rep system forcing me to distribute part of my reps to those who don't earn them.

FREE THE REPS! FREE THE REPS!
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    That sounds a lot like me, I was always fairly smart so up until the higher grades I did zero work and did fine. And yeah while I got through high school and college (here, primary is year 1-6, secondary 7-10, college is 11-12, then University) just, much to my mothers dismay (she was a school principle), this totally shafted me when I got to university. I had no clue whatsoever and bombed hard...but geez I did a lot of mtbing at the time instead of studying, that was fun.
    Theres lots of things that I'm happy about because my life went down that route (would never have met my GF otherwise), but I still regret that I screwed up so bad back then...
    I've been doing a little introspection on this, and realized that this might be the reason I get bored after an hour of any given activity...I get bored after an hour on the bike, an hour playing guitar, skateboarding, even playing videogames or watching TV. It seems like, since my formative years were spent expending no effort whatsoever, that became ingrained in me, and now it takes an inordinate amount of effort to focus on something long enough to make a difference.

But, I still LOVE soaking up information and doing research...if only there were a way to parlay that into a good career...

Master debator.
    I probably regret not following what I love instead of having just a "job". However what I love to do wouldn't probably pay the bills. To that end I was accepted into the U.S. military academy, but I never went because at the age of 19 the thought of 10 years commitment to the Army seemed like forever. (I would have needed a 1 year preparatory period before 4 years at West Point and then a 5 year active duty commitment).

But looking back at my decisions I think I did what made sense at the time, so hindsight being 20/20 I still think things turned out okay. However that pension from 25 years in the military as an officer would be cool to have...
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Fake President
    I was part of a protest group that pissed off sitting President Ronald Reagan at one of his political rallies back in '84.

I regret not flipping him off, too.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Like OP, I went to a high ranked specialized high school, scored high percentile on standardized tests, but found that I didn't really apply myself in college. I was working part time, commuting to school on the subway all the while juggling a dramatic relationship. College came and went and I began working in a small to mid sized business. I put in my 10-15 years on the job but was somewhat disappointed very recently when I discovered there was no carrot at the end of my stick, no plan, no titles, no HR department to shepherd me through the succession process. My classmates who chose the corporate route rose up the ladder and are now in senior roles with nice packages, while I am faced with the hard hustle of business development and possibly going out on my own.

"But, I still LOVE soaking up information and doing research...if only there were a way to parlay that into a good career... "

How about data science, analytics and business intelligence? You'll be ingesting and working with giga/terabytes of data looking for patterns, visualizing trends and reporting findings.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I regret not taking the acid that was offered to me at the Grateful Dead's last show at Giant's Stadium.

I regret not trying to "go a bit further" with a couple girlfriends I had back in junior high and high school.

I regret not taking my mom up on the offer to pay for guitar lessons, and subsequently becoming a singer-songwriting star.

That's about it although I also sometimes ponder the "just a job" thing that Nooky mentioned. I'm not real interested in my work but the pay is pretty darn good for my area and I get A LOT of flexibility in terms of vacation time and unpaid leave. It allows me to have the lifestyle I aimed for although job security is a bit shaky these past few years.

Always changing.....
    edited it out; too much on my mind today.
    Last edited by lot8con8; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:35 AM.

Roll Out Jeremy
    I regret high school football. I could have been cycling or participating in some activities that are much more rewarding later in life....and sustainable...
    Ollie Ollie Oxen Free
    "Don't believe everything you think"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    This thread sounds too much like deathbed confession.

For me, not going to the right city for my first few jobs out of college. First 3 cities I moved to for a job was a big waste of my time. Being in the right geographical region was important back when I was an intern because of opportunities to work for companies that are taking on projects with potential to learn a lot. Wrong region can result in setback which it did to me. Roughly my first 5 years out of college was worth less than half. If I can send a message to my younger self, I would tell him to move straight to XYZ location after the graduation even if he has to temporarily wash dishes and take out garbage.

waterproof*
    I regret not dredging more threads.
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    I regret selling my 1970 Plymouth Fury III convertible in the mid-90s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used to think I had some regrets regarding following (or not following) a certain career path early on out of college. I had “missed the boat” on a couple of opportunities I had wished I would have jumped on sooner. Then I realized had I done that, I would not have been where I was in 2008 when I met my now wife. And today with four amazing kids running around the house I realize that sometimes the “missed opportunities” I once would regret are really missed for a reason and have actually enriched my life 10 fold and perhaps saved my life for real.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    As Frank Sinatra once sang, "Regrets, I've had a few." But I also got to say that I've enjoyed my life too much to lose sleep over it. Maybe I shoulda' insisted my parents get me a different piano teacher back when I was eight. Yeah... That's the ticket.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

tka
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I regret only buying 1000 shares of Apple when Steve Jobs rejoined them instead of the 5000 I thought I should. I regret not taking a call from a private equity firm looking for investors in this internet bookseller named Amazon.

Frog Whisperer
    I do not regret anything I have done. It all went to make me who and what I am.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Non non normal
    I regret not having more cultural experiences and being exposed to fine dining, art, theater, architecture, etc. while being raised.

When I went to college, it was like I fell off of the turnip truck. My parents drove me up I95 from Maryland, and I went through NYC and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I had never been north of PA. or further south than NC. I rolled up to college in Boston with a few school supplies and a duffle bag of clothes. It was a huge sacrifice for my parents to send me to college and I was dirt poor through school. Every penny I made in the summer was spent on tuition, so I didn't have cash to really take advantage of being in Boston. I was rapidly exposed to a world I never knew even existed. My ignorance often hamstrung me from experiences.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Proud luddite
    I regret never having a mullet. Now that I am bald the best I can do is a skullet. 🙁

Darling of The Lounge
    I regret not going on that blind date with Monica Bellucci back in the early eighties.

Banned forever.....or not
    I regret not taking up that offer from that Malaysian Prince.
    I guess I procrastinated a little too long............
    My name is Lokman Bin Yahya from Malaysia. I got your email address through a directory in my search for a reliable foreigner,who can assist me ,and partner me in this transaction that will be of mutual benefit. I am a retired politician/ businessman. It will be my pleasure to have your attention,regarding a proposal for mutual investment partnership,involving USD 28,000,000,00.

The proposed sum for investment,was carefully packed and sealed in 2 cash trunks,which is deposited with a security company in London-UK,and the cash trunks containing the sum,will be delivered directly to you in, your country.

I am very sick at the moment,and doctors said I have 3 more months to live,though I am still receiving treatment in a London hospital and no longer enjoy good relationship with my native Government,because of my then political ambition,and criticism of their policies ,hence the
    need to move this fund abroad,to avoid loosing it to the Government,if I die,since I have no child nor a wife.

I need an individual or company,who can utilize the funds for profitable business investment,where my own share of the profits can be channeled to research/development grants that will benefit mankind and charity works,since I can no longer do much because of my frail
    health,and have no child or wife to inherit my wealth. I will offer you 25% of the principal sum,plus another 20% of the profits realized from the investment annually,if you can stand as my appointed beneficiary and receive the sum,secure the funds in your account for investment partnership.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Descender
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I regret not going on that blind date with Monica Bellucci back in the early eighties.
    "For the WIN"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast