Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    You can't beat this.....

Definitely a keeper, Grumps!

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Lots of gems here. This is one of mine:

They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Ray Liotta and Joe Pesci in “Goodfellas” where Tommy is a “funny guy”.
    ^^ This ^^
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    You met Anthony Quinn? Yes, he was great in Zorba and that scene in La Strada.

The duel in 7 Samurai, Kurosawa yeah! Good stuff.

How about the long tracking shot of the traffic jam leaving the city in Godard's "Weekend?"
    I was home visiting my parents and was on a training ride. I was doing hill repeats up Gehricke Road and halfway up, it opens up into some beautiful vineyard. There were vintage vehicles parked everywhere, trailers and a catering tent. I took a break and sat on the old stone wall next to the trailers trying to figure out what was going on. I hadn't been there 5 minutes when the trailer door right in front of me swung open. There was Mr. Quinn 5 feet away. We chatted, he was pleased that I actually knew about his art making. We talked art mostly, but I did tell him near the end he was my favorite actor. They were filming " A Walk in the Clouds"
    As far as Godard, I prefer the driving scene in 'Breathless'. I dug the reflexivity and the dialogue. One of my 2 film teachers worked with Godard, the other was Manny Farber. As far as getting a good film education, I consider myself blessed
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post

ATP -- La Strada is my favorite film. I wrote an appreciation of the movie for the Editors Guild's magazine about ten years back. It made it to print and for a long time it could be accessed on the internet, but it seems it's disappeared into the aether.
    it is easy to understand why. Just superb storytelling with phenomenal, understated acting. I also liked the cinematography, it just had a very defined look that served the story well

Not Banned
    okay, so speaking of movies, I went and saw "The Villainess" least night. If you like hyper violent Asian cinema and a almost video game POV filming style this is a pretty crazy film.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    I was home visiting my parents and was on a training ride. I was doing hill repeats up Gehricke Road and halfway up, it opens up into some beautiful vineyard. There were vintage vehicles parked everywhere, trailers and a catering tent. I took a break and sat on the old stone wall next to the trailers trying to figure out what was going on. I hadn't been there 5 minutes when the trailer door right in front of me swung open. There was Mr. Quinn 5 feet away. We chatted, he was pleased that I actually knew about his art making. We talked art mostly, but I did tell him near the end he was my favorite actor. They were filming " A Walk in the Clouds"
    As far as Godard, I prefer the driving scene in 'Breathless'. I dug the reflexivity and the dialogue. One of my 2 film teachers worked with Godard, the other was Manny Farber. As far as getting a good film education, I consider myself blessed
    You were where it was happening!

Was the guy who worked with Godard Jean Pierre Gorin? He and Godard came out to the University of Iowa in '72 where I was in film school. I shot some B&W footage of an audience they had with students upon screening "Tout Va Bien." Boomey sound, but what the hell, this was a student film, my first attempt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAgvQyKRqTc

hello
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Love the scene in The Graduate when Dustin Hoffman is sitting in his Alfa Romeo in front of the Robinson's house waiting for Elaine. Then in the background you see her approaching the car and get in but turns out to be Mrs. Robinson.
    Sorry for the spoiler for those that haven't seen it.
    Yes, a classic...
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

hello
    Scene from Scarface when Frank gets busted for the attempted hit....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2dbF7SK4KI

hello
    Robert Duvall in the napalm in the morning scene...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    You were where it was happening!

Was the guy who worked with Godard Jean Pierre Gorin? He and Godard came out to the University of Iowa in '72 where I was in film school. I shot some B&W footage of an audience they had with students upon screening "Tout Va Bien." Boomey sound, but what the hell, this was a student film, my first attempt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAgvQyKRqTc
    Yes, JP Gorin. He was filming 'Routine Pleasures' when I studied with him. JP was a riot. Had a many post class beers with him. He wanted to be a cowboy, and he came to UCSD just to hang out with Manny.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Really hard to pick just one. I'll start here.

It's Mueller Time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Fine choices here, everybody. I'd forgotten about that machine gunning Danny Boy scene in Miller's Crossing, and Christopher Walken's Gold Watch monologue in Pulp Fiction.

ATP -- La Strada is my favorite film. I wrote an appreciation of the movie for the Editors Guild's magazine about ten years back. It made it to print and for a long time it could be accessed on the internet, but it seems it's disappeared into the aether.
    Would be interested in reading your article.

La Strada is my favorite Fellini film, too. It's characters are portrayed in heroic, mythical proportions.

Watched La Dolce Vita on youtube last night looking for the scene you mentioned. Man! I dunno! Some critics think its his major work, his defining statement. Just an amazing visual experience. Shot in B&W! Frequently two narratives going on in the same shot! A parable of our times. Still relevant! Haven't seen it since the early Sixties. Now I realize viewing that film was the "acid trip" that set me off on my course in life! He and Henri Cartier-Bresson, partners in crime!

Nice teaser, the helicopter carrying the statue of Jesus over the cityscape, Marcello flirting with bikini clad sunbathers, a little character development, then, bam!, the narrative explodes. Anita Ekberg flies in [26:00>45:00], paparazzi, the posing, the film lot, parties, sexy entertainers: the characters are defined in a less linear narrative than La Strada. The narrative ends slightly less resolved.

Watched the two hour version with no subtitles and was never bored! The visuals said it all. Understood very little of the Italian dialog, but every now and then an English language phrase would pop up like an exclamation point, as if to say, "Get it?"

Realized I was tripping about 1:08. A TV station is creating an event or covering a ritual, and it gets heavily rained out. Just one of many stunning moments in a visual feast. Almost as good as Grump's and mtrac's cartoon trailers above!

The last shot in the film of the teenage girl's face did elicit tears! This is really Fellini's finest statement turning traditional narrative style on it's head, his symphony, full orchestra, all stops out. The later ones were concertos in comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDVNH9p-YGc&t=12s

Russian Troll Farmer
    OK, I've been watching a LOT of old films recently (many silent, even), and I think I've found the most overlooked film of American cinema, "Make Way for Tomorrow", a film from 1937, which, IMO, should've won the Oscar (although Leo McCarey did win in 1938 for "the Awful Truth"), and even Orson Welles championed this film, saying that "it could make a stone cry". I'm not going to give anything away for those who haven't seen it, but the final scene with Victor Moore and Beulah Bondi was probably the best-acted, best-filmed and best-written scene in all of Hollywood history (and one I would defy anybody to watch and keep their eyes dry).
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Sorry Fredrico. I just don't have the computer smarts to attach the copies I made of my magazine article onto this website.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Misfit Toy
    Kinky Boots, the Milan Show where Charlie walks the runway.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    Cruel intentions

“you can put it anywhere “
    The electoral college saved us once again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    Yes, JP Gorin. He was filming 'Routine Pleasures' when I studied with him. JP was a riot. Had a many post class beers with him. He wanted to be a cowboy, and he came to UCSD just to hang out with Manny.
    Small world by the time talent gets to Hollywood! Good story!

Yeah, the French New Wave, and Fellini, have always been fascinated with "cowboys." Check out the American producer in La Dolce Vita party scenes. Status seeking men in Fellini and Godard films always drive, or in Breathless steal, big American luxury cars with tail fins. Godard's "Breathless" and "Shoot the Piano Player" were two takes on B&W American gangster films, "films noir." He had good things to say of Capra and Ford.

Gonna have to check out Gorin's work as well as Farber's.

Not Banned
    Manny was a painter and a film critic. He started in '42, and did film critiques for Te New Republic, Time, The Nation, New Leader, Cavalier and Artforum. It was his essay "White Elephant Art vs. Termite Art" that put him on the map, in this essay he pointed out the B Movies was where all the good 'art' was happening as the big pictures were too controlled by the studios. It as his writings that helped directors like Hawks, Ford, Mann, Polonsky get recognized for their artistic style.
    Because he was a champion of these lower budget, 'proletariat' films he was idolized by the left leaning French Avant Garde. So idolized Gorin came to San Diego to hang out with him. Mannys writing, like his paintings were all his own. I took probably 3 film classes with each of them, but I regret never taking painting from him. He gave me grief about it but let me slide because I was studying with his wife.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The police interrogation in Highlander.

"Why, are you cruising for a piece of ass?"
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Do you know what "Nemesis" means?

https://youtu.be/L93DJbPQpkQ

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    Do you know what "Nemesis" means?

https://youtu.be/L93DJbPQpkQ
    My buddy and I know this movie by heart. I cannot say "dog" any more. They're all "dags'

Last edited by bikerjulio; 4 Days Ago at 01:13 PM.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Master debator.
    Kung Fu Hustle, the scene where the bad guys spring the Beast. The Long Kiss Goodnight, "should we get a puppy?". Superman 3 the bar scene where he flicks peanuts at the liquor bottles.

As for serious movies, too many moving scenes to list.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast