Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    We have met the enemy...

What realy gets my goat?

Go to Home Despot yesterday--need to rent a Ramset gun (shoot some studs onto concrete).

There is no one in the rental department--I scan the aisles and someone walks by--the call the MOD (manager on duty).

He comes over--"I don't think we rent those"
    me: "I was here a couple of weeks ago--they told me $30 for half a day"
    him: "Well the guns are so cheap, I don't think we rent them."

So we walk over to the tool section--of course the heavier guns (what we need) are $200

Me: "I don't feel like buying a tool for $200 for a couple of hours of work!"

We walk back to Tool Rental. He tries to search the computer--and the rental pages don't load. I scour the section where the nailing devices are.

Me: "Hey what about this Ramset?" (a different brand)
    Him: " Oh, I didn't know we had those..."

Luckily the afternoon shift guy came on and I got sorted, although I still had to go back over to Tools to find the right cartridge (after reading the manual myself),

How a fifteen minute errand turns into 3/4s of a hour.

Grrrrrr. That gets my goat.
    Last edited by paredown; 06-14-2013 at 03:56 AM.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

RoadBikeReview Member
    Unfortunately this seems pretty descriptive of most of my trips to the HD rental dept.

Always changing.....
    Same reason I stopped going to my local RONA store. After about the 4-5 time of poor service, I just said forget it and not worth it. So now I just go to the other stores.

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Go to Home Despot yesterday ........

You said "goat"...

Creaky shows up in 3....2.....1.....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    The only way I could rent a sidewalk grass edger at Home Deportation last Septembre was repairing the single one they had broken in the back room the entire season by myself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Did the clerk look like this?

What realy gets my goat?-goat.jpg

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post
    Did the clerk look like this?

pretty much--but a little less hair on top.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

Sweet Potato Kugel
    I would wager that goat was kicked in the mouth, it reads "mandibular dislocation" to me.

n00bsauce
    Never ceases to amaze me why people go to a home improvement store to rent tools. The stores job is to sell tools. Rental is just to get people in the door. The tools are usually poorly maintained and no one knows how to use them or what they have, just like the OP found out. If you want to rent tools go to a tool rental store where their job is to rent tools, not sell them. You get maintained tools and people who know how to use them and who can instruct you.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

banned
    Feb 2011
    It's a 50/50 proposition getting someone who knows their stuff, even when you request someone for a specific department. Unfortunately, it may take 10 minutes to determine if you've got a knowledgeable person or a clueless BSer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    This winter I rented one of those big floor buffing machines from Home Depot to clean my basement floor. Before I left, they gave me instructions on how to use it. After a good 20mins of the thing throwing me all over the place, pinning me in the corner and almost killing me, I decided their instructions couldn't be right.

Make sure they know what they are talking about before you jump into a project.
    1985 Schwinn World
    1986 Fuji Club
    1989 Fuji Saratoga
    2007 Felt F1X

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynis27 View Post
    This winter I rented one of those big floor buffing machines from Home Depot to clean my basement floor. Before I left, they gave me instructions on how to use it. After a good 20mins of the thing throwing me all over the place, pinning me in the corner and almost killing me, I decided their instructions couldn't be right. Make sure they know what they are talking about before you jump into a project.
    Sorry Glynis27, but this visual makes me giggle...
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

I drank what?
    Name:  grinds-my-gears11.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  13.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    q_and_a - "I don't really have an appropriate response for this situation" so you'll have to wait 30 seconds for a reply

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson View Post
    Never ceases to amaze me why people go to a home improvement store to rent tools. The stores job is to sell tools. Rental is just to get people in the door. The tools are usually poorly maintained and no one knows how to use them or what they have, just like the OP found out. If you want to rent tools go to a tool rental store where their job is to rent tools, not sell them. You get maintained tools and people who know how to use them and who can instruct you.
    I'm with you--it's just that there isn't a decent tool rental for small stuff close by, so it was the panic 'got the carpenters for another couple of hours--let's get 'er done mode'.

I've rented pretty decent tools from HD in the past though, and the guy that finally sorted me out is someone I've dealt with in the past--he knows his stuff. But point taken--the service/knowledge is uneven.

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynis27 View Post
    This winter I rented one of those big floor buffing machines from Home Depot to clean my basement floor. Before I left, they gave me instructions on how to use it. After a good 20mins of the thing throwing me all over the place, pinning me in the corner and almost killing me, I decided their instructions couldn't be right.

Make sure they know what they are talking about before you jump into a project.

If you've never run a rotary floor buffer, they can be tricky devils until you get 'em tamed.

One of my very first jobs involved running those, and letting "the new guy" try to run one was always good for a laugh.

We used to have a game we played, called "Floor Buffer Rodeo," where you'd stand on the buffer housing, with your hands on the twist-grip handles, and then you'd "let it out of the chute," and see how long you could stay on; eight seconds was quite a respectable time, just like real rodeo. A 1.5 HP motor is more than capable of throwing a rider a fair distance.

Do I need to mention this was a drinking game?

half-fast
    lulz at riding the buffers.

Serious question for the Paredown:

wood plates, or metal stud track?

because you would have been done if you used tapcon screws in the wood studs.

you could even use the tapcon screws in the stud track.

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    lulz at riding the buffers.

Serious question for the Paredown:

wood plates, or metal stud track?

because you would have been done if you used tapcon screws in the wood studs.

you could even use the tapcon screws in the stud track.
    Wood plates onto concrete--I've used tapcons when I've done such things around my the house but the carpenters like using ramsets. Tapcons are great as long as you drill the holes deep enough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    HD has been hiring a lot of people for the summer construction season...you got a newb most likely.

we purchased six new windows from HD last month...took the clerk to find the only guy in the store who had a "license" to drive the forklift and some 30 minutes to bring them out from the storage area in back to our truck...

again, what should have been a 10 minute pick up took 45...
    Not banned yet.

half-fast
    Wood plates onto concrete--I've used tapcons when I've done such things around my the house but the carpenters like using ramsets. Tapcons are great as long as you drill the holes deep enough.
    Here's the deal. If Joe the carpenter works for you and gets all hoity-toity about how he has to have this or that, then Joe ought to buy a shotgun.

You can buy him the shot and pins.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    You have a goat?
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    You have a goat?
    Well I had one but someone else got it.

half-fast
    There was a goat on the car show grounds at work today.

Sweet Potato Kugel

half-fast
    Goats are bullies.

We had sheep when I was in high school. We ended up with someone's two pet goats, and they terrorized the hell out of the sheep.

The goats went back to their original home in a week or so.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Well I had one but someone else got it.
    I wish the Keepers of the Rep would let me rep you for that... but they will not.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast