Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

What is a safe, free way to check your credit "score"?

I'm looking to check my credit score, and wanted to know if anyone used some service/company to do a "one time pull", at little, or no cost? I used myfico.com a few years back, as I was pressed for time, but it cost ~ $60, and I think they wanted me to sign up for some monthly plan, just to get the initial pull...trying to avoid a subscription. Or is only pulling the "report" the free option?

Thanks

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Good looking out, but they don't provide "scores"...or are they providing that "now". I haven't checked in about 2 years when I put a freeze at all the agencies. Their "reports" provide the list of your accounts, payment history, balances, of which I have however the actual "score" is not provided by the big (3)...at least without paying a fee, if at all, if I remember correctly. Having had a few account breeches over the years, I'm hesitant to use just any company...looking for personal experiences. Would using "freecreditreport.cooooommmmm" (you have to sing it) have your info shared, in order to get it free, share your info so you are bombarded with unsolicited offers?
    Last edited by colnagoG60; 03-16-2017 at 06:04 AM.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    You can open a credit card that doesn't charge a fee (which is most of them), and they'll provide you an updated score every so often. You don't even have to use the card. My Discover card app updates my Equifax score monthly.

By the way, as far as the free reports go, the better one to use is annualcreditreport.com.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    You can open a credit card that doesn't charge a fee (which is most of them), and they'll provide you an updated score every so often. You don't even have to use the card. My Discover card app updates my Equifax score monthly.

By the way, as far as the free reports go, the better one to use is annualcreditreport.com.
    Understood however opening a new card would require an inquiry, and having additional possible debt will also affect the score, something I'm trying to avoid.

I logged back into my TransUnion account but the wording on their site seems to read, "Get your 3-bureau reports and scores now...but you will be automatically enrolled in our monthly monitoring program afterwards"...what I'm also trying to avoid

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I could be wrong, or have outdated information, but I think there is a law requiring the ratings agencies to give you a free copy once a year upon request.
    I'd check on that as a first step.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I could be wrong, or have outdated information, but I think there is a law requiring the ratings agencies to give you a free copy once a year upon request.
    I'd check on that as a first step.
    Yup they are, but that's for the "report", not the "score".

I just tried to get a "1-time" score from my TransUnion account for $29.95, where I pulled the "report" a few years back, but after entering payment info, it defaults to their page about enrolling in the monthly credit monitoring.

.je
    JRA FYI
    Can you use https://www.freecreditscore.com ?

They bombard you with ads?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post

When I connect to the site, no. Do they after using the service? Have you used them? Any downside?

Just wary given that a company is willing to provide it for free, while the bureaus themselves are charging. If a one time fee is required, so be it, but it shouldn't require a monthly membership...e.g. (from the annualcreditreport site):

"
    A Warning About “Imposter” Websites

Only one website is authorized to fill orders for the free annual credit report you are entitled to under law — annualcreditreport.com. Other websites that claim to offer “free credit reports,” “free credit scores,” or “free credit monitoring” are not part of the legally mandated free annual credit report program. In some cases, the “free” product comes with strings attached. For example, some sites sign you up for a supposedly “free” service that converts to one you have to pay for after a trial period. If you don’t cancel during the trial period, you may be unwittingly agreeing to let the company start charging fees to your credit card.
    Some “imposter” sites use terms like “free report” in their names; others have URLs that purposely misspell annualcreditreport.com in the hope that you will mistype the name of the official site. Some of these “imposter” sites direct you to other sites that try to sell you something or collect your personal information."

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Try Credit Karma. Just checked mine. 819/825.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Good look, thanks.

FWIW, I tried accessing my Experian account, and while you can get a report "and score" for $1, you are signed up for a free 7-day monitoring service, which jumps to $24.99 if not cancelled:

"Important Information:
    When you order your $1 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO® Scores, you will begin your 7‑day trial membership in Experian Credit Tracker. If you don't cancel your membership within the 7‑day trial period*, you will be billed $24.99 for each month that you continue your membership. You may cancel your trial membership anytime within the trial period without charge.

Credit score calculated based on the FICO 8 model. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO Score than FICO 8, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn More."

...its all just one big racket!

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I've found Experian to be the worst of the three credit reporting companies. They actively try to screw people. I bet cancelling that monitoring service of theirs is real easy to do. Like you sit on hold listening to elevator music for an hour. My taxes got scammed a couple years ago and I had to deal with credit companies and the IRS. Eye opening experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Try Credit Karma.
    +1

Annualcreditreport.com is the "official" place to check your credit report for free from the top 3 agencies; Experian, Equifax, and Transunion but they all charge for the credit score. Credit Karma gives it for free.

A little story, last year, I went on Credit Karma and noticed that my credit score went down. Looking more closely I noticed that Credit Karma indicated that I was behind payment on a credit card we haven't used in over 5 years! Turns out, I also noticed an address that was never ours (we moved a lot in my job) and sure enough someone stole my identity and was using this card to his heart's content. I immediately filed a police report, disputed the charge and got it all taken care of.

Since you can request 1 free credit report per year from each of the agencies, you can schedule 1 from each and get a free credit report every 4 months. It's a bit more work, so I just use Credit Karma, every few months. Bottom line, it's always good to routinely check your credit report/score.
    Last edited by config; 03-16-2017 at 08:58 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post

Game on...thanks.

Looks like its tied to Experian.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I've found Experian to be the worst of the three credit reporting companies. They actively try to screw people. I bet cancelling that monitoring service of theirs is real easy to do. Like you sit on hold listening to elevator music for an hour. My taxes got scammed a couple years ago and I had to deal with credit companies and the IRS. Eye opening experience.

Doh...just logged in. Sorry to hear about your issues...hope you got it all worked out. I've also had a few "account" breaches.

However this time around, I didn't provide any payment info...not sure if the "freecreditscore.com" site was up when I initially logged in a few years back. However Experian did not provide the score then I obtained my report from them directly...they did this time, via the freecreditscore site.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Use your phone to CALL a local mortgage, bank, or title insurance company and ask them this question. My wife is in that industry and they bring up people's credit scores all the time.

If they can't do it for free/cheap, they can certainly tell you where to go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My credit card company provides my credit score. I log into my account and follow a link to the information. Fast, inexpensive and risk free service by the cc company.
    If you focus on the past, you will never see the future.

Every day I wake up is a good day!

"I don't need another bike"
    - Anonymous

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by colnagoG60 View Post
    Understood however opening a new card would require an inquiry, and having additional possible debt will also affect the score, something I'm trying to avoid.
    A single credit inquiry will barely affect your score. Moreover, what additional debt? I said you don't have to use the card. I only use mine to capitalize on the rotating 5% cash back deals (restaurants, gas stations, home improvement stores, Amazon), and then I pay off the full balance every month.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Use your phone to CALL a local mortgage, bank, or title insurance company and ask them this question. My wife is in that industry and they bring up people's credit scores all the time.

If they can't do it for free/cheap, they can certainly tell you where to go.
    My long time mortgage broker apparently doesn't know, and has been difficult to reach as of late...hence, the reason why I'm reaching out for people's experiences. Having him pull the report, as well as your wife, will affect ratings.

Thanks though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    A single credit inquiry will barely affect your score. Moreover, what additional debt? I said you don't have to use the card. I only use mine to capitalize on the rotating 5% cash back deals (restaurants, gas stations, home improvement stores, Amazon), and then I pay off the full balance every month.
    Understood however not knowing where I stand, and given rising rates and not enough time to "improve" if there is an issue, I don't want to risk being on the border line and dropping into a lower category.

From what I understand, having an open line of credit, even if not used, affects a portion of the score, or one's overall profile, as they'd then have a "potential" of going into debt, by the credit line amount. Thought things may have changed in the 20+ years since I was a credit counselor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by onlineflyer View Post
    My credit card company provides my credit score. I log into my account and follow a link to the information. Fast, inexpensive and risk free service by the cc company.
    Good to know...thanks.

Custom Title= ?
    I have six CCs that provide credit scores from each of the three reporting agencies.

Not one of them has ever matched any other.

If there has been a credit inquiry, the score might dip a couple points over the next reporting period or two, but always rebounds to the original baseline by the next quarter.
    Qh6+!!

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Checking your score through something like credit karma isn't going to affect it. If creditors check it, then you take a tiny, temporary hit. If a lot of creditors start checking it at the same time, then it becomes more of an issue. I have a good score because I always pay my bills on time, I don't have any credit card debt, and I frequently take out small loans and then repay them -- usually things like an appliance with zero percent interest rate loan for 18 months. I could afford to pay it off, but why if there's free credit? I typically pay it off early (God help you if you're late).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Amex tells you for free.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think freecreditreport.com got a slap on the wrist a few years back for false advertising, hence they have stopped running their ads. Since there has been multiple votes for creditkarma.com, I will throw mint.com out there. Its a budgeting site but it also provides your credit score. If you don't want to use it for budgeting, not sure if they will let you create an account just to check your credit score.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast