Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Le Misérable
    Quote Originally Posted by q_and_a View Post
    I have very little fear of failure in my life. That's not to say I don't fail, I do, a lot, but the knowledge that I have given whatever it is my best effort is good enough for me.

I think thatwe have to view success and failure from two very different perspectives:

1) Others perceptions of our accomplishments.
    2) Our own perceptions of our accomplishments.

I pay very little attention to 1 and solely rely on 2.

I have done many things that others view to be successful, but I know what little effort it required or how much luck was involved, so they are essentially meaningless.

I have also done many things that others would view as abject failures, but have been great sources of internal pride to me.

So, unless we are talking about feats that expose us to true physical harm, I think we all put to much reliance on the perspectives of others.
    I like this post a lot, and it applies to my life in a very crisp sort of way...but it's also true that our own perceptions of our accomplishments can be difficult to calibrate without the context of what others do and say.
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Living in France, le blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    If we didn't fail at things there would be much less joy in accomplishing many of the things I have done. We all fail. Some more than others, however the only real failure is giving up and not trying again IMO

RoadBikeReview Member
    A wise person has said that failure is the best teacher. You learn more by failing, so if success is guaranteed, you really haven't learned much. You see this all the time with incredibly gifted athletes who are bested by athletes with less natural ability because the "inferior" ones worked harder, honed their skills more, had more drive, etc.

In other words, you shouldn't let fear of failure stop you from trying new things. You may not get it right the first time, but you will learn from the experience and eventually succeed if you keep trying. ... probably.

S2H
    wut?
    I would play roulette all day.

Actually, I would open a restaurant.

Always changing.....
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2 View Post
    A wise person has said that failure is the best teacher. You learn more by failing, so if success is guaranteed, you really haven't learned much. You see this all the time with incredibly gifted athletes who are bested by athletes with less natural ability because the "inferior" ones worked harder, honed their skills more, had more drive, etc.

In other words, you shouldn't let fear of failure stop you from trying new things. You may not get it right the first time, but you will learn from the experience and eventually succeed if you keep trying. ... probably.
    Along similar lines, I always tell my kids that I expect them to make mistakes. That is what is makes us people. Just learn from it and do not beat yourself up over it. And do not stop testing the waters!

I also tell them I make mistakes all the time and I am not afraid to tell them when I have erred. Having an A-type personality; this has something I pushed myself to learn when my kids were little.

RoadBikeReview Member
    jump out of a perfectly good airplane
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LONG LIVE THE SINGLE DOTS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aindreas View Post
    By the beard of Johnny Depp, that's a good looking man.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    I just experienced rolling brown out a few minutes ago. My stomach feels much better now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brick Tamland
    Penny loafers are the footwear of cowards.
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you
    Is it safe to fart in these or will it look like a mouse running down the side of my leg? :p

Misfit Toy
    Sing.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Lemur-ing
    I'd ask the most beautiful girl I know to marry me. Won't fail right?
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

Go Blue
    Skydiving.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Skydiving.
    Ooh, me too!

Ricardo Cabeza
    type a full sentence without having to go back and fix any typos
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    type a full sentence without having to go back and fix any typos
    Oh, dream on! That's why I use spell check...

Master debator.
    I don't know what I'd do. I've always thought that fear of failure should be overcome, and that failing at some things is actually pretty good for you.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Seat's not level
    This...

Name:  skinsuit.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  92.3 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What would you.............-chain4.jpg  
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

w-g
    Will rep for beer
    Get a degree in something is isn't practical. It'd be nice to not have that "practical" demon looking over my shoulder causing worry over retirement, kid's college, mortgage, all that mundane stuff that defines having to show up at a job 5 days a week for 2 days of play time (minus any house to-do lists)
    “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.” Inigo Montoya

Failboat Captian
    Make a real living as a ski instructor.

(sometime I make me laff!!!!)
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

is super good looking.
    Win an argument with my girl friend.

Proud luddite
    I'd come out of nowhere from the peleton in the final stage of the Tour de France to blow by Cavendish and win the sprint in Paris. The look of amazement in Cav's eyes, Phil Ligget going nuts....it will be awesome!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J View Post
    I was intentionally vague.

IME fear of failing keeps me from attempting things that I would like to do. Yet as so
    Done Already said the best lessons, the best learnings, come from failure. So for me asking the question I started this thread with helps me separate the fear from the dream.

THat being said, whats the worst that could happen?

Len
    Failure!

Which in reality isn't such a bad thing we learn from it, so in reality it's our Pride and Ego being hurt that is really keeping us from doing what we want. We Fear Men and what They Think, rather than Attempting to Succeed and fail, We Fail To ever even Start

Here's a vid I found yesterday that pretty much sums it up, it's about dedication and how bad you really want something

How Bad Do You Want It? (Success) HD - YouTube!

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by catzilla View Post
    Semi-related question: What does fear of failing help you to achieve?

After a few years of doing this writing hack thing, every deadline I would end up struggling with a secret fear that the piece I was working on would out me as a fraud -- someone who'd managed a few good bits with the same luck as a bunch of monkeys with typewriters.

So, I'd keep working. And cutting words. And thinking about what I really wanted to say. Then I'd sheepishly hand it in and wait to get fired for "general suckiness of craft." Except that's never happened and instead my editors often respond with compliments and thank me for the clean copy.

Finally I simply recognized the fear demon for what it was: a necessary partner in my writing. Like clockwork, it appears when I stare at a blank page, the moment I first read a first draft, and again before I hit send. In recognizing the role fear played, the demon transformed from the intimidating bully on the playground to the anxious mother-in-law who makes a damned good meatloaf when she's in town.
    Lotta truth there. Fear of failing makes me work hard every day.

I have very little fear of failure in my life. That's not to say I don't fail, I do, a lot, but the knowledge that I have given whatever it is my best effort is good enough for me.

I think thatwe have to view success and failure from two very different perspectives:

I have done many things that others view to be successful, but I know what little effort it required or how much luck was involved, so they are essentially meaningless.

I have also done many things that others would view as abject failures, but have been great sources of internal pride to me.

So, unless we are talking about feats that expose us to true physical harm, I think we all put to much reliance on the perspectives of others.
    Like Q&A in this regard, I am fairly comfortable in my skin, but like I said above, #1 often has something to do with whether or not I got the skills to pay the bills. So keeping others happy has a place in this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by thedago View Post
    jump out of a perfectly good airplane
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Skydiving.
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Ooh, me too!
    Hell no. NFW.

Quote Originally Posted by w-g View Post
    Get a degree in something is isn't practical. It'd be nice to not have that "practical" demon looking over my shoulder causing worry over retirement, kid's college, mortgage, all that mundane stuff that defines having to show up at a job 5 days a week for 2 days of play time (minus any house to-do lists)
    This might be a fair answer for me also to the question in the spirit it was asked. I would follow questions or whims to the logical end. That's what I'd do if resources were not a problem.

Not providing is the failure I fear most.

I had a small business fail spectacularly once, and it made a profound impact on my practicality.

Sleep Expert
    When I read the post, my first though was to race in the Tour de France. And win. Then I saw the lottery post. Then I thought: I'd rather in the tour instead...
    My carbon footprint has cleats

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    If I knew I truly wasn't going to fail, I'd unclip from that rope, take that harness off, and free climb El Capitan going right through the Great Roof. THAT would be awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J View Post
    I was intentionally vague.

IME fear of failing keeps me from attempting things that I would like to do. Yet as so
    Done Already said the best lessons, the best learnings, come from failure. So for me asking the question I started this thread with helps me separate the fear from the dream.

THat being said, whats the worst that could happen?

Len
    Fear of failure has never stopped me from trying anything.

I wanted to be a pro bike racer. After a few years of racing in my teens and early 20s, I realized I just didn't have what it takes.

Want to write the Great American Novel. Working on it.

Want to race cars. Fear of failure is not preventing me. Just don't quite have the time and funds... Will get more track time this year, though.

Want to be a great father. Doing my best.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Quote Originally Posted by catzilla View Post
    Semi-related question: What does fear of failing help you to achieve?

After a few years of doing this writing hack thing, every deadline I would end up struggling with a secret fear that the piece I was working on would out me as a fraud -- someone who'd managed a few good bits with the same luck as a bunch of monkeys with typewriters.

So, I'd keep working. And cutting words. And thinking about what I really wanted to say. Then I'd sheepishly hand it in and wait to get fired for "general suckiness of craft." Except that's never happened and instead my editors often respond with compliments and thank me for the clean copy.

Finally I simply recognized the fear demon for what it was: a necessary partner in my writing. Like clockwork, it appears when I stare at a blank page, the moment I first read a first draft, and again before I hit send. In recognizing the role fear played, the demon transformed from the intimidating bully on the playground to the anxious mother-in-law who makes a damned good meatloaf when she's in town.
    Yup....fear of failure is a great motivator. However you describe failure. I'm a perfectionist with my own work because I'm at heart a pleaser.......which is a great segway to....

I wish what others thought didn't paly into my unconsciouse desires and actions....but it does. When I'm conscious of it, it doesn't rule me as much.

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Sing.
    What is keeping you from doing this? Ever do lessons, coaching etc?

Like others, I have an overdeveloped sense of responsability...I am much better at taking care of everyone else, than I am taking care of me. So fear of not providing for the people in my life has motivated me to enter and succeed at a career choice that is a total mis-match for my personality. If I knew I wouldn't fail (read fail as being unable to support my loved ones), I'd go back to school, get a degree and become a counselor.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

We have met the enemy...
    Like some other people I have trouble with this question.

My old adviser used to say (in his Brooklyn accent): "What the downside--you're not going to die from your choice if it doesn't work out." I always thought that was a good test and for areas of my life, I can muster my courage and go for it--including some of the things mentioned here, including writing, moving, hard home repairs, etc.

For other areas of my life--career especially--I'm convinced that my fear about trying to do something new usually stalls on a pretty deep-seated, almost subconscious belief that there is no point to trying, since it won't work out. It's not even like the fear is articulated and can be argued with; it is more like resignation that this is how it is, and it will be 'same as it ever was.' (thanks THs)
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast