Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002

What's Something Super Touristy You've Never Done in Your Town?

I've lived in and around DC for about 15 years and have never done the White House tour or been to the top of the Washington monument. Been to the big memorials and a lot of smaller ones. There are still a bunch of Smithsonians I have not been to as well.

I also grew up in NY and have never been to Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty.

What about you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Cool thread idea.

I came to my town first as a tourist and then later as a student before getting a job/house here. So there really isn't anything particularly "touristy" that I haven't done during those 20 years.

That said, I rarely make the 1.5 hour drive to Yellowstone Park unless it's for work. I've also never been to a Montana State University football game - which is a pretty big deal around here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Cool thread idea.

I came to my town first as a tourist and then later as a student before getting a job/house here. So there really isn't anything particularly "touristy" that I haven't done during those 20 years.

That said, I rarely make the 1.5 hour drive to Yellowstone Park unless it's for work. I've also never been to a Montana State University football game - which is a pretty big deal around here.
    I went to MSU briefly in 90 and 91, spent my winters there for about 5 years. There wasn't anything touristy to do there then, besides Yellowstone and Big Sky. Never did either.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    The only two things large numbers of tourists come to where I live for are the fishing and the annual blueberry festival... I've done both. To a lesser extent, people come here for the moose and/or bear hunting. I've never done those but it feels like a stretch to call either "super touristy".
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I live in Jackson, I have never taken a selfie while petting a Buffalo.

Fecal indicator
    never been to the Austin City Limits music fest or the Formula One racetrack...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

hello
    I live very close to Universal Studios and have never been there in the 40 plus years I've lived here.

Also, never taken pictures of the big Hollywood sign. I can see it from my bedroom window.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I live in Jackson, I have never taken a selfie while petting a Buffalo.
    No buffalo where I live but if just the selfie part can count as touristy... I've never taken a selfie of any kind with anything, anywhere.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Make America grope again
    Oct 2012
    I have not gone on a tour of the Paul Revere house, though I have seen the outside. I have not gone on a tour of Harvard, though I have been there many times.

I have done most of the other touristy things - walked the Commons, seen the USS Constitution, the art museum(s), the orchestra, duck boat tour, seen the glass flowers, been to Fenway, seen the smallest park in the US, gone to the Harbor Islands, etc...

There is a lot of touristy stuff to do here in the greater Boston area. Most of it is worth doing, if somewhat pricey. Particularly if you are a history or culture buff. Some of it is a let down, if you aren't a history buff. For example, the Commons is nice and has a lot of history, but it's not this gorgeous park or anything.
    Ride more, whine less - HTFU.

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I might have done it, but I believe I never went on the Universal Studios Tour. Maybe I'm confused because I worked on the Universal lot for about three or four years and was constantly dodging those damn tourist filled trams.

At any rate, I was born in L.A. and, yes, I've probably done every attraction SoCal has to offer. I went to the Magic Castle a couple of times. Disneyland every year when I was a kid. Knott's Berry Farm. When I was in my teens, I went to Santa Monica Beach every day during the summer. I lived in Malibu for a while. I had a buddy who had an office inside the Capitol Records building. Curvy office. Big view.
    Last edited by Mapei; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:40 PM. Reason: grammar
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Here on Oahu there's often family or friends out and typically stay with us. I've played tour guide and have pretty much done everything, except hike Manoa Falls or the Stairway to Heaven. I guess also Kualoa Ranch never had the interest nor any visitors.

scott s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    go on a cruise. and I never will.
    Not banned yet.

Custom Title= ?
    I have never been on the Universal Studios tour. Iíve been on the lot more times than I can count to commission and fix their gear. Including the trams.

When I was a youngster (about a thousand years ago), I had been to Disneyland a few times but I am on site more these days to repair their equipment as well. Since all service happens between midnight and 0900, it can be an interesting place with no tourists....

Two places that I intend to visit: The USS Iowa, the heaviest target I would have ever stepped aboard. I've been inside the Disney Concert Hall a few times, but haven't attended an event yet.

Both will happen before I bail out of this town (upon retirement, any day now)....

What's Something Super Touristy You've Never Done in Your Town?-450px-bb61_uss_iowa_bb61_broadside_usn.jpg
    Qh6+!!

Proud luddite
    Never been to the Rooster Cogburn ostrich ranch north of Tucson. Just a bunch of big birds so I never felt like going.

( ͡į ͜ʖ ͡į)
    Mystery Spot

I've driven past it, at least once a year, for the past 26 years, yet have never stopped there.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I grew up in Hawaii. I have never surfed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Grew up in NY and haven't been to the Statue of Liberty either although there's still time since I go back at least a couple of times per year.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
    I've lived in and around DC for about 15 years and have never done the White House tour or been to the top of the Washington monument. Been to the big memorials and a lot of smaller ones. There are still a bunch of Smithsonians I have not been to as well.

What about you?
    Also spent time in NY and only did the Ferry, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, when a friend came to town from Iowa. Ever done the Tottenville Trolley on Staten Island? He worked as a summer intern for NBC in Rockefeller Center. We roamed backstage on the Johnny Carson show the night Jonathan Winters was a guest. He was our hero. We used to imitate his acts. We met him outside his dressing room! Later had night caps in the lounge on top of the building.

Another friend had an apt. on Mott St., Little Italy. The San Gennero Festival on Mulberry St was a block over. Another NY friend grew up in Egypt and took me to the Egyptian Gardens, a belly dancing place on west 30th something street. The music was incredible, like Bill Monroe and his Bluegrass Boys, another spur of the moment treat caught at Wolf Trap, VA, years later.

Lived in DC area for years and never did the Capitol until a friend from Indiana came to town. We walked the halls while a meeting was being let out and said hello to Dan Moynihan. He gave us directions up to the spectator galleries, in his inimitable Harvard accent.

Traveling overseas with two like minded explorers working our way on a Norwegian merchant ship, we crashed a prom in Adelaide, Australia, emerging in a strange culture with strong English roots. Crocodile Dundee indeed. A gun shop owner gave us a full account of the Battle of Singapore, the humiliating moment the British Navy could no longer claim to rule the seas. In Singapore, a taste of British colonialism in Toc House, a bed and breakfast for British soldiers fighting insurgents in Borneo. A cabbie tour of then Bombay, up to the Buddhist temple where yellow robed monks burned incense and chanted, followed by a night in a very pleasant brothel. Another cabbie tour from Suez to Cairo. You pay them $50 bucks and they'll be your guide for the evening.

I always thought organized tours were really confining. Can't remember any of them.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:52 PM.

We have met the enemy...
    The other NY icon that I have not visited--the Empire State building, even though I used to meet my wife at her office occasionally, and it was just across the street from it. I did go to the 'Top of the Rock' at the Rockefeller Center, so maybe one good view of Manhattan is all you need. Plus a friend worked on the Freedom towers, so I got a good view from that end as well--and it was free!

We did make it to Ellis Island, but the Statue and the Museum were both closed, so I hope we can make a return trip.
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year oldís life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I lived in San Francisco for 5 years and never visited (and still havenít visited) Alcatraz. We would regularly take out of town visitors to Muir Woods though.

Avid smart-ass
    Quote Originally Posted by lampshade View Post

What about you?
    Same here, I'm in the MD burbs. Our guests are always surprised when we tell them how infrequently we go "downtown". Haven't done the WH, Capitol, top of monument, etc. since we moved here about 16 years ago.
    2015 Specialized Diverge Expert Carbon
    2015 Scott Solace 30

RoadBikeReview Member
    I live in So. Utah and I get a lot of visitors so I have done it all. Grand Canyon (both rims), Zion, Bryce, Lake Powell, Lake Mead, The Wave, The Shakespeare Festival, Tuacahn etc, but I have never done the art show.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Grew up in NY and haven't been to the Statue of Liberty either although there's still time since I go back at least a couple of times per year.
    Isn't that the truth? I lived on Long Island for a few years awhile back and was amazed at the number of people who hadn't visited the iconic NYC sites.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete in MD View Post
    Same here, I'm in the MD burbs. Our guests are always surprised when we tell them how infrequently we go "downtown". Haven't done the WH, Capitol, top of monument, etc. since we moved here about 16 years ago.
    I work in Foggy Bottom, so I see the Lincoln and Wash monuments every work day. I frequently hit up random museums at lunch. I try to take advantage of how much the city is changing. Sometimes after work, I just grab a city bike or take Metro to a neighborhood I've never been to just check it out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a bus stop at my front door yet never get into NYC. I also live on the site of a former amusement park; my family never went there when it was still around.

It's Mueller Time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast