Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    The day last summer when we were in Burlington, VT and my oldest son (8 years old) asked if we could take our leftover pizza to a homeless gentleman we had seen earlier. I know it's not my own accomplishment, but I like to think that I had something to do with him , and my other boy, being the sweet, caring people they are today.
    Every thing else is just stuff.
    Rock on.

Sculpture on 2 wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter View Post
    I believe he went to ISU. Nuff said.
    Yep without question spelling isn't one of my strongest points.

Luckily this isn't a mathematical thread either..

QED
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixed View Post
    Wow, single, great credit, and hot! Where do you live? ;-)
    Hahaha Fixed. I am a grandma . Albeit only 48, but still a grandma. With a sweet bike .

It is funny, but that is one thing I am working on figuring out. For so long, I have been living day to day, hour to hour. Now, I have met every one of my goals and spent the last 30 years helping others to reach theirs. Now, as of May, I have no ties, no obligations...and I have to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life. What are my goals now? So...I haven't even thought of dating or relationships. I guess I just need to reassess and figure out how to start over.

BTW, Seattle.

QED
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post
    Any chance the ex will be added to the bonfire for extra fuel?
    The ex and a couple of other people I can think of that have taken advantage of my generosity and goodwill . Just kidding!!!

I bear no ill will on anyone. I think each of us on this planet is trying to do what we know how to do to get by and live our lives. I won't judge what others did, even if it affected me. I make my own choices, so do they.

But I darn sure know he won't be invited to the party .

QED
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Looking back, the dots ARE big accomplishments.....good job setting goals and passing them by!
    Thanks TouchOGray. What is hard, now that the need isn't there, is...how do I set goals from a position of strength rather than a position of survival? I know how to survive and go forward. But at 48, I have never been in the position I am faced with right now, everything is going well. Awesome in fact. How do I set goals from this position in my life?

I am not being rhetorical. I would really like some advice there...

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by QED View Post
    Thanks TouchOGray. What is hard, now that the need isn't there, is...how do I set goals from a position of strength rather than a position of survival? I know how to survive and go forward. But at 48, I have never been in the position I am faced with right now, everything is going well. Awesome in fact. How do I set goals from this position in my life?

I am not being rhetorical. I would really like some advice there...
    Not sure I have much to offer for advice, but I remember when my wife was working through some stuff, and was stuck, I'd ask her "What does S. want?"--and she'd burst into tears, reliably. She kept at it with the help of a counselor, and eventually came up with an answer (provisional, as these usually are) so she could start down the road toward that goal.

I think it is easier in some ways to put our heads down and struggle to accomplish some concrete thing, however high the barrier seems. To sit back and ask "What does QED want?" really is a harder thing, especially when one has been through the kind of struggle that you have, since it is going to a place that you haven't visited in a long time while everything else came first.

(And tangentially on topic--I see the Montaigne quote in your sig--have you read How to Live? Or, A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at an Aswer by Sarah Bakewell?)
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    After a year of serious life reevaluation, there are two successes in my life I am extremely proud of: my 29 year very happy marriage and my victory over a rare cancer. My marriage is the strongest it has ever been, beating cancer required an inner strength I never really knew I had.

S2H
    wut?
    I got almost all 1,000 achievement points in Assassin's Creed 2.

S2H
    wut?
    Srsly, though. I can't think of much. Got some degrees, got an OK government lawyer job, failed relationship. I haven't accomplished a whole lot.

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    Srsly, though. I can't think of much. Got some degrees, got an OK government lawyer job, failed relationship. I haven't accomplished a whole lot.
    Well, you are a lawyer which takes some dedication as well as having a long term relationship. Sure it ended up not working out but it does mean something that you had that relationship for so long. You'll end up learning a lot about yourself and what you want after you recover from it. My failed LTR's sure help set up a solid foundation for my marriage which has been a wonderful experience.
    Dictated but not read.

vexatious enigma
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Learning not to brag about my success to internet strangers has to be it.

BAM!

Srsly, it's family, and learning to be grateful for the things I have, instead of capering on about the things I don't have. I used to think it was about money, until I realized:

***Bill Gates is richer than me, but my wife is hotter than his.

***Donald Trump is richer than me, but I have better hair (i.e, it's not a point of international ridicule)

***Steve Jobs (estate) is richer than me, but I can haz Mac, he can haz tombstone.

So, yes, rationalizing my existence is my greatest success.
    I feel it's safe to say that a bald person has better hair than Trump.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234