Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    waterproof*

Where's Argentina?

I am curious how the big war worked out.

Do they not have Internet in the Falklands (or Malvinas or wherever it was)?
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Ricardo Cabeza
    might want to get that head injury checked out again
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Call me a Fred
    Here it is.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Le MisÚrable
    For the longest time I thought it was "Arge-n-Tina," like Punch-n-Judy or Amos-n-Andy.
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Living in France, le blog

Proud luddite
    You head out on I-40 and take I-17 south when you get to Flagstaff. Keep going south. Keep going south. Keep going south. And then keep going south until you reach Argentina.

dog is my co-pilot
    It's just north of Antarctica. If you get lost, just flag down a penguin for some directions.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Morticus: Discreet sex? Oh hell no, I want to high-five people as I walk down the hall.

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

AM999: Romney 320 Electoral votes, Obama 218. Colorado profs' prediction model, 100% accurate since 1980.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day,it blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    in a mess

Fred the Clydesdale
    Member of Team Collin, a group of ordinary moreons going to extraordinary levels of awesome in the fight against cancer.

Love conquers all. God is love. Jesus is love personified. Figure it out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Go to Chile and turn left.

Custom Title= ?

Go < ')))><

Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post

Apparently Argentina is still fighting the war, now 30 years past the current British occupation from 149 years before that.
    Drowned out by the noise of one hand clapping....
    Airplane Mode is not just for flying... or riding.

RoadBikeReview Member

649 Argentinians dead

255 British troops dead

3 Islanders dead

Maybe a bit more respect , please!

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by shearwater View Post
    649 Argentinians dead

255 British troops dead

3 Islanders dead

You've come to the wrong forum for respect. Try down in PO, they are a very respectful crowd.

banned
    May 2010
    You've come to the wrong forum for respect. Try down in PO, they are a very respectful crowd.
    ???????

Have we been reading the same PO forum?

Le MisÚrable
    649 Argentinians dead

255 British troops dead

3 Islanders dead

Wow, you must really not like Hitler jokes.

///does this post remind anyone else of the Andrea Doria Seinfeld episode??
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry guys...guess I am a bit sensitive after losing 9 friends in the Falklands.....

......while the US sat on their butts and the French sold the Argentines missiles!,,,

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibashii View Post
    Wow, you must really not like Hitler jokes.

///does this post remind anyone else of the Andrea Doria Seinfeld episode??
    Awesomest site that makes fun of Hitler: Cats That Look Like Hitler! !

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Sorry guys...guess I am a bit sensitive after losing 9 friends in the Falklands.....

......while the US sat on their butts and the French sold the Argentines missiles!,,,
    And you expected what exactly from the French ?. Possibly they'd send a Foreign Legion battalion ?, a carrier ?. Hate to clue you in, but the French are whor_s. They sell anything to anybody and friends be damned.

And you expected what from Ronald Reagan ?. A battalion from the 82nd Airborne ?. A carrier or 3 ?. Dream on.

And why ?.

We saved your asses in WWII but now you want help again for an island 8,000 miles from GB but only 400 from Argentina ?. With a population of 3,000 humans and what ?, 10 times as many sheep ?. Oh and don't forget the penguins.

Hate to clue you in but the friggin islands would be better off as part of Argentina. It would save the GB government a whole lot of money that you don't have.

But seriously, the islanders have been British citizens forever and would prefer to stay that way and that counts for something. I'd be negotiating with the Argies to maybe give the islands to them with the locals being allowed dual citizenship. Economically it makes sense as Argentina has the closest sea and airports and would allow the Falklands economy to be more efficient moving it's "goods" (wool, mutton ?) to market, not to mention ease of travel. As well possibly negotiate the oil rights to be shared ?.

Oh and don't forget that maybe someday in the future, Gibraltar is going back to Spain.

SB

waterproof*
    This is a great example of how derivative threads improve the forums. Rep all around!

Le MisÚrable
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    And you expected what exactly from the French ?. Possibly they'd send a Foreign Legion battalion ?, a carrier ?. Hate to clue you in, but the French are whor_s. They sell anything to anybody and friends be damned.

[...]
    And the US only sells weapons to the good guys. Like Osama bin Laden's merry band of rebels in the 80s, to name just one of a long list of US arms-selling debacles.

All weapons manufacturers are a) private multinational companies, and b) selling a product for profit to whomever (hopefully) won't use them against the sellers. Why call out the French, the world's fourth-largest exporter of arms, a country whose arms companies export approximately 20% of what US weapons manufacturers do? What about the Germans? Russians? The UK? China, to round out the top five? D'ya got some proof that these folks are evaluating the moral character of their buyers better than the French?

Still waitin' for that thread-drift rep, Creaky.

--Hugo

Weed

I guess you forgot about all of those AIM-9L AAMs that the US released from their own inventory directly to the RN Harriers and the Stingers supplied to the Special Forces?

waterproof*
    Still waitin' for that thread-drift rep, Creaky.
    would if I could...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Le MisÚrable
    would if I could...
    Ah, The Man, always puttin' me in the goddam hole. The Lownje server becomes more and more like O'brian in 1984 every day...

--Hugo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    And the US only sells weapons to the good guys. Like Osama bin Laden's merry band of rebels in the 80s, to name just one of a long list of US arms-selling debacles.

Except that at the time the Afghani rebels were the so-called good guys in their fight against the godless Commies (sarcasm). Possibly only the British are astute enough in world politics to have foreseen that those very same Islamic fundamentalists would - shock !, come back and bite the good old USA in the butt. In reality, there are pretty much no weapons in the inventory of those same Islamic fundamentalists being used against the current NATO forces in Afghanistan that were sold from US manufacturers. Pretty much every rifle and machine gun used by the Taliban is of Russian manufacture, provided to the Afghanistan government when it was under Soviet influence, or captured from left-behind Soviet stockpiles. And there ain't no more Stingers, the man portable SAM we gave them in the 80's, left functional, so there goes that argument.

And I think it's fair to state that while very country that sells arms has a bit of the prostitute in them, the French have had the reputation of being the worst of the lot. Remember that it WAS Mirage's carrying Exocets against the Brit's in the Falklands, but possibly in that instance, I'd doubt even the French could envision that the Argies would be that dumb as to take on the British, having sold all that hardware with the idea that Chile was and had been the local bad guy.

And then there's China. Against the wishes of the US ( we ARE so-called friends with France - correct ?), the French have pretty much ignored our thoughts that perhaps we should not be selling military grade equipment to the Peoples Republic, when there's a likelihood of it being used against us. The French are true whor_s in this case, witness the latest PRC attack copter based on the Eurocopter Dauphin.

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by frezza View Post
    The funny thing is that it was a pretty spur-of-the-moment decision. One day in March my husband came home from work and said, "Nancy, I'm tired of this. I want to take off with the kids." Because he and I had always traveled on bikes, there was no question that it would be on bikes.
    Three months later we had quit our jobs, bought a bicycle built for THREE, and hit the road. We spent one year on the road that time and never expected our career break to last longer than that.
    see, watch and learn, people. this is how to properly spam a forum. it almost looks like a real post (the totally oddball thread drift, works in it's favor here), till you see the linky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast