Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    We have met the enemy...

Whistler Tour Company Slaughters 100 Sled Dogs

because of a business downturn. Vancouver Sun article here

Authorities found out about it because the idiot who was responsible for shooting the dogs made a Workman's Compensation claim.

WTF?
    "Man's capacity for justice makes democracy possible, but man's inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary." Reinhold Niebuhr

Lets Go Hokies!!!
    Just sad on so many levels.
    Its not over till you're underground

http://hokierider.blogspot.com

Wisely Inconsistent
    I can't even bear to read the article. I think I'll go hug my dog instead.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    The wrong creature got slaughtered...I can't even click the link...
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

Tactle-neck
    I read the article. Awful Awful Awful.
    It's never about technique.

catzilla: Flatulence + Megaphone + Cat on Fire = Dubstep

Is not a clown car
    I feel bad for the guy that had to do it[he did have a choice though, he could have said no], but the mother******* that told him to do it need to be tied up and drained.
    Disclaimer: I sell ::Singulars:: and write a :blog:
    ::Pictures::

Back from the dead
    The worker said he suffered panic attacks and nightmares because of the grisly scenes that unfolded as he carried out the company's orders to kill 100 of its 300 dogs because of a slow winter season.

Many were killed in mass shootings, carried out in front of each other, that caused the dogs to panic and attack him.

"By the end he was covered in blood," according to the review board's Jan. 25 decision that found he did suffer post-traumatic stress. "When he finished he cleared up the mess, filled in the mass grave and tried to bury the memories as deeply as he could."
    So this guy starts doing this horrible thing which only becomes more horrible and scary and dangerous, and he still finishes the job?

It takes a special person to do that. Just carrying out orders, you know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    that sh!t ruined my day yesterday. so sad, so frustrating. horrible.

Good news everyone!
    Fcking Nazis.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Even the live dogs they showed in the pictures don't look all that healthy.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams.

Just Plain Bitter
    OMFG! That is insane on so many levels. The guy who carried this out is just as sick as the guy who told him to do it. They both need to staked out and fed to the dogs! I don't want to read the article at this point it will only make me angrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

Always changing.....
    Here is a link to the company:

http://www.adventureswhistler.com/dog-sled

They suspended this operation february 1; I wonder why?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I've been following a discussion about this on another forum. It's a terrible situation and I couldn't finish reading the article either. Unfortunately it sounds like this happens on a smaller scale more often than we think. Here is some c&p of a musher's responce to the newspaper article.

Sled dogs are working animals. Business exists to make money. If sled dogs are not contributing to income (either through sport or tourism), then they cost the business money. Mushers and kennel owners are well aware of the VAST and CHRONIC pet overpopulation problem that exists in the states (world). So was Bob Barker in 1978.

Mushers usually fall into two camps when it comes to reducing kennel size. 1)find homes for unwanted dogs and/or give them to pounds or shelters. 2)kill them themselves. After reading these two options I'm sure the emotions have just swelled up and it seems like a no-brainer.

Realistically, if you cannot find a home for the dog and give it to a shelter (kill or no kill - they all end up at a kill shelter), it will end up being euthanized. In the end, the cost to eliminate the dog is huge, both in man hours, resources, and money. You just gave your problem away for someone else to deal with. The other option is to euthanize the dog yourself. Mushers are independent, self-reliant, and hate to ask for help. They feel that if they are responsible for bring the dog into this world (either accidentally or purposefully) they should be the one to take it out. It kills them to do it (most at least), but in the end it's the lesser of two evils.

For president!
    This seems like an easy topic to have a quick, visceral reaction to. I try to be more logical about such things. If I don't tear up eating a pork chop, there's probably no real reason for me to tear up about this story...

This is not intended to get this sent off to PO, just to make people think about the topic of animal cruelty a bit more.
    Formidable Pharmacologically

Back from the dead
    The pork you eat is raised specifically for the purpose of slaughtering and eating it. The dogs were killed because the company didn't want to take care of them any more. I don't see any connection between the two.

RoadBikeReview Member
    has this guy never heard of Humane Societies or adoption groups?
    even if they're working dogs, they can be trained to be good companions.
    sister in law has an old working husky...great dog. a little grumpy, but still a great dog.

banned

RoadBikeReview Member
    It never occurred to them that there might be tough economic times that would require a Plan B??

Have never kept a pig as a pet, but I understand they're very smart, a lot like dogs.

haole from the mainland
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t
    I've been following a discussion about this on another forum. It's a terrible situation and I couldn't finish reading the article either. Unfortunately it sounds like this happens on a smaller scale more often than we think. Here is some c&p of a musher's responce to the newspaper article.

Sled dogs are working animals. Business exists to make money. If sled dogs are not contributing to income (either through sport or tourism), then they cost the business money. Mushers and kennel owners are well aware of the VAST and CHRONIC pet overpopulation problem that exists in the states (world). So was Bob Barker in 1978.

Mushers usually fall into two camps when it comes to reducing kennel size. 1)find homes for unwanted dogs and/or give them to pounds or shelters. 2)kill them themselves. After reading these two options I'm sure the emotions have just swelled up and it seems like a no-brainer.

Realistically, if you cannot find a home for the dog and give it to a shelter (kill or no kill - they all end up at a kill shelter), it will end up being euthanized. In the end, the cost to eliminate the dog is huge, both in man hours, resources, and money. You just gave your problem away for someone else to deal with. The other option is to euthanize the dog yourself. Mushers are independent, self-reliant, and hate to ask for help. They feel that if they are responsible for bring the dog into this world (either accidentally or purposefully) they should be the one to take it out. It kills them to do it (most at least), but in the end it's the lesser of two evils.
    None of this is a reasonable excuse for not putting the dogs down humanely.

For president!
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    The pork you eat is raised specifically for the purpose of slaughtering and eating it. The dogs were killed because the company didn't want to take care of them any more. I don't see any connection between the two.
    So if the dogs were raised to be food, this story wouldn't shock you? I have a real hard time buying that.
    Formidable Pharmacologically

Resident Dutchbag
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    Nope. The dogs got killed because the company couldn't afford to take care of them anymore, couldn't sell them or give them away and professionals refused to kill them humanely. If you want to avoid that sort of thing you'd need to forbid raising non edible animals for lifetime exploitaiton if that exploitation is subject to cyclic market forces.

In Soviet Russia, sled dogs cull you. They do not however suffer PTSD.
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by SilasCL
    So if the dogs were raised to be food, this story wouldn't shock you? I have a real hard time buying that.
    This story isn't about dogs raised for food. Nobody in the business of raising animals for food kills animals this way. So if the dogs were raised for food and killed humanely, this isn't even a story.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dogs are like family members in our society, that explains the shock. And it is odd considering how much people would pay for a purebreed husky, or at least adopt one given the circumstances.

Not a dog person myself, but I can't bring myself to read the article. It's hard enough having seen how slaughter animals can react when they figure out something's up.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    What bothers me most is that the company's greed led to this. Instead of keeping a sustainable number of dogs, they bred enough to keep up with what was obviously a temporary demand. Had they just declined reservations when they ran out of dogs it wouldn't have come to this.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by SilasCL
    This seems like an easy topic to have a quick, visceral reaction to. I try to be more logical about such things. If I don't tear up eating a pork chop, there's probably no real reason for me to tear up about this story...

This is not intended to get this sent off to PO, just to make people think about the topic of animal cruelty a bit more.
    there's a big difference between killing for sport (or failure to provide thereof) and killing for food.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast