Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
  1. #1
    We have met the enemy...
    Reputation: paredown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    7,003

    Whistler Tour Company Slaughters 100 Sled Dogs

    because of a business downturn. Vancouver Sun article here

    Authorities found out about it because the idiot who was responsible for shooting the dogs made a Workman's Compensation claim.

    WTF?
    "Man's capacity for justice makes democracy possible, but man's inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary." Reinhold Niebuhr

  2. #2
    Lets Go Hokies!!!
    Reputation: HokieRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,929
    Just sad on so many levels.
    Its not over till you're underground


    http://hokierider.blogspot.com

  3. #3
    Wisely Inconsistent
    Reputation: hobgoblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    261
    I can't even bear to read the article. I think I'll go hug my dog instead.

  4. #4
    Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Reputation: Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    20,856
    The wrong creature got slaughtered...I can't even click the link...
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

    My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    Tactle-neck
    Reputation: FeedTheJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    866
    I read the article. Awful Awful Awful.
    It's never about technique.

    catzilla: Flatulence + Megaphone + Cat on Fire = Dubstep

  6. #6
    Is not a clown car
    Reputation: unclefuzzy_ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,366
    I feel bad for the guy that had to do it[he did have a choice though, he could have said no], but the mother******* that told him to do it need to be tied up and drained.
    Disclaimer: I sell ::Singulars:: and write a :blog:
    ::Pictures::

  7. #7
    Back from the dead
    Reputation: mohair_chair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    20,907
    The worker said he suffered panic attacks and nightmares because of the grisly scenes that unfolded as he carried out the company's orders to kill 100 of its 300 dogs because of a slow winter season.

    Many were killed in mass shootings, carried out in front of each other, that caused the dogs to panic and attack him.

    "By the end he was covered in blood," according to the review board's Jan. 25 decision that found he did suffer post-traumatic stress. "When he finished he cleared up the mess, filled in the mass grave and tried to bury the memories as deeply as he could."
    So this guy starts doing this horrible thing which only becomes more horrible and scary and dangerous, and he still finishes the job?

    It takes a special person to do that. Just carrying out orders, you know.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    146
    that sh!t ruined my day yesterday. so sad, so frustrating. horrible.

  9. #9
    Good news everyone!
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,464
    Fcking Nazis.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    225
    Even the live dogs they showed in the pictures don't look all that healthy.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams.

  11. #11
    Just Plain Bitter
    Reputation: rward325's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,630
    OMFG! That is insane on so many levels. The guy who carried this out is just as sick as the guy who told him to do it. They both need to staked out and fed to the dogs! I don't want to read the article at this point it will only make me angrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

    2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

  12. #12
    Always changing.....
    Reputation: lot8con8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,359
    Here is a link to the company:

    http://www.adventureswhistler.com/dog-sled

    They suspended this operation february 1; I wonder why?

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,411
    I've been following a discussion about this on another forum. It's a terrible situation and I couldn't finish reading the article either. Unfortunately it sounds like this happens on a smaller scale more often than we think. Here is some c&p of a musher's responce to the newspaper article.

    Sled dogs are working animals. Business exists to make money. If sled dogs are not contributing to income (either through sport or tourism), then they cost the business money. Mushers and kennel owners are well aware of the VAST and CHRONIC pet overpopulation problem that exists in the states (world). So was Bob Barker in 1978.

    Mushers usually fall into two camps when it comes to reducing kennel size. 1)find homes for unwanted dogs and/or give them to pounds or shelters. 2)kill them themselves. After reading these two options I'm sure the emotions have just swelled up and it seems like a no-brainer.

    Realistically, if you cannot find a home for the dog and give it to a shelter (kill or no kill - they all end up at a kill shelter), it will end up being euthanized. In the end, the cost to eliminate the dog is huge, both in man hours, resources, and money. You just gave your problem away for someone else to deal with. The other option is to euthanize the dog yourself. Mushers are independent, self-reliant, and hate to ask for help. They feel that if they are responsible for bring the dog into this world (either accidentally or purposefully) they should be the one to take it out. It kills them to do it (most at least), but in the end it's the lesser of two evils.

  14. #14
    For president!
    Reputation: SilasCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    7,913
    This seems like an easy topic to have a quick, visceral reaction to. I try to be more logical about such things. If I don't tear up eating a pork chop, there's probably no real reason for me to tear up about this story...

    This is not intended to get this sent off to PO, just to make people think about the topic of animal cruelty a bit more.
    Formidable Pharmacologically

  15. #15
    Back from the dead
    Reputation: mohair_chair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    20,907
    The pork you eat is raised specifically for the purpose of slaughtering and eating it. The dogs were killed because the company didn't want to take care of them any more. I don't see any connection between the two.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    15,664
    has this guy never heard of Humane Societies or adoption groups?
    even if they're working dogs, they can be trained to be good companions.
    sister in law has an old working husky...great dog. a little grumpy, but still a great dog.

  17. #17
    banned
    Reputation: SystemShock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    22,918

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11,210
    It never occurred to them that there might be tough economic times that would require a Plan B??

    Have never kept a pig as a pet, but I understand they're very smart, a lot like dogs.

  19. #19
    haole from the mainland
    Reputation: jorgy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,966
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t
    I've been following a discussion about this on another forum. It's a terrible situation and I couldn't finish reading the article either. Unfortunately it sounds like this happens on a smaller scale more often than we think. Here is some c&p of a musher's responce to the newspaper article.

    Sled dogs are working animals. Business exists to make money. If sled dogs are not contributing to income (either through sport or tourism), then they cost the business money. Mushers and kennel owners are well aware of the VAST and CHRONIC pet overpopulation problem that exists in the states (world). So was Bob Barker in 1978.

    Mushers usually fall into two camps when it comes to reducing kennel size. 1)find homes for unwanted dogs and/or give them to pounds or shelters. 2)kill them themselves. After reading these two options I'm sure the emotions have just swelled up and it seems like a no-brainer.

    Realistically, if you cannot find a home for the dog and give it to a shelter (kill or no kill - they all end up at a kill shelter), it will end up being euthanized. In the end, the cost to eliminate the dog is huge, both in man hours, resources, and money. You just gave your problem away for someone else to deal with. The other option is to euthanize the dog yourself. Mushers are independent, self-reliant, and hate to ask for help. They feel that if they are responsible for bring the dog into this world (either accidentally or purposefully) they should be the one to take it out. It kills them to do it (most at least), but in the end it's the lesser of two evils.
    None of this is a reasonable excuse for not putting the dogs down humanely.

  20. #20
    For president!
    Reputation: SilasCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    7,913
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    The pork you eat is raised specifically for the purpose of slaughtering and eating it. The dogs were killed because the company didn't want to take care of them any more. I don't see any connection between the two.
    So if the dogs were raised to be food, this story wouldn't shock you? I have a real hard time buying that.
    Formidable Pharmacologically

  21. #21
    Resident Dutchbag
    Reputation: rogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,012
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    The pork you eat is raised specifically for the purpose of slaughtering and eating it. The dogs were killed because the company didn't want to take care of them any more. I don't see any connection between the two.
    Nope. The dogs got killed because the company couldn't afford to take care of them anymore, couldn't sell them or give them away and professionals refused to kill them humanely. If you want to avoid that sort of thing you'd need to forbid raising non edible animals for lifetime exploitaiton if that exploitation is subject to cyclic market forces.

    In Soviet Russia, sled dogs cull you. They do not however suffer PTSD.
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

  22. #22
    Back from the dead
    Reputation: mohair_chair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    20,907
    Quote Originally Posted by SilasCL
    So if the dogs were raised to be food, this story wouldn't shock you? I have a real hard time buying that.
    This story isn't about dogs raised for food. Nobody in the business of raising animals for food kills animals this way. So if the dogs were raised for food and killed humanely, this isn't even a story.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11,210
    Dogs are like family members in our society, that explains the shock. And it is odd considering how much people would pay for a purebreed husky, or at least adopt one given the circumstances.

    Not a dog person myself, but I can't bring myself to read the article. It's hard enough having seen how slaughter animals can react when they figure out something's up.

  24. #24
    Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Reputation: DrRoebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    27,007
    What bothers me most is that the company's greed led to this. Instead of keeping a sustainable number of dogs, they bred enough to keep up with what was obviously a temporary demand. Had they just declined reservations when they ran out of dogs it wouldn't have come to this.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut
    _____________________
    L.A. Landscapes

  25. #25
    Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Reputation: DrRoebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    27,007
    Quote Originally Posted by SilasCL
    This seems like an easy topic to have a quick, visceral reaction to. I try to be more logical about such things. If I don't tear up eating a pork chop, there's probably no real reason for me to tear up about this story...

    This is not intended to get this sent off to PO, just to make people think about the topic of animal cruelty a bit more.
    there's a big difference between killing for sport (or failure to provide thereof) and killing for food.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut
    _____________________
    L.A. Landscapes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

2015 LIGHTS SHOOTOUT

Hot Deals See All Hot Deals >>

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook