Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Devoid of all flim-flam
    As much as I enjoy stick shift cars, it's my wife who is now spearheading the efforts to get another one. A lot of my automatic happiness has to do with the eGolf we currently lease. Yeah, forget about taking any sort of a long trip in it but the motor is wonderful. Instant torque, no matter what speed you're going. Instant response. A power plant that's so smooth, it makes my BMW's six feel like an old VW bug's. Well...not quite...
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Stick is a good anti-theft feature, besides being the correct way to motor along.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Loving View Post
    Stick is a good anti-theft feature, besides being the correct way to motor along.
    Could you please elaborate? The question posed by this thread circles around why the attitudes exist that stick shift is "the correct way to motor along," and whether or not it's just ego stroking or a sense of superiority by rabid stick shift enthusiasts.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I forgot to add that when I had to take a driving test to get my license back (remember my 2012 bicycle accident that put me comatose in the hospital for two months and got my license lifted?), I decided to do it in my manual transmission Honda Fit. The old coot giving the test docked me five points for not downshifting through the gearbox while slowing down for a right turn. ...Or was it for not matching revs? Huh? What is this? 1956? They got synchromesh now!
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David Loving View Post

Carjackers kill Texas*man in front of his family after realizing they couldn't drive stick shift, deputies say | Crime | Dallas News

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I forgot to add that when I had to take a driving test to get my license back (remember my 2012 bicycle accident that put me comatose in the hospital for two months and got my license lifted?), I decided to do it in my manual transmission Honda Fit. The old coot giving the test docked me five points for not downshifting through the gearbox while slowing down for a right turn. ...Or was it for not matching revs? Huh? What is this? 1956? They got synchromesh now!
    These guys like to let you know how smart they are. The sheriff in Cedar Rapids, IA, I took the test with in the family automatic, said, "You give me the willies!" I'd learned to drive on Long Island, NY, and didn't slow down soon enough for the right turn.

That's where they catch you, on the right turns!

Master debator.
    Off topic... the wife's new Honda HR-V comes in a manual transmission (she got the CVT grrr) and it has a camera that turns on when you hit the right turn signal so you can see anything sneaking up on you which may keep a cyclist from getting right-hooked.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Seriously. Stick shift threads get so heated. Is it an affront to one's manhood to not desire 3 pedals in your car on a daily basis? Why is this seemingly nonsensical issue such a big hairy deal?
    For the true answer please search and read threads such as: Campy Vs. Shimano vs. SRAM. or disc brake, vs canti or Carbon vs Steel vs Ti vs .....

It's all the same. What I like is what you should like, and if you don't agree then you are an idiot.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Attendance at Hillary's inauguration = 0

tka
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    These guys like to let you know how smart they are. The sheriff in Cedar Rapids, IA, I took the test with in the family automatic, said, "You give me the willies!" I'd learned to drive on Long Island, NY, and didn't slow down soon enough for the right turn.

That's where they catch you, on the right turns!
    I work with a guy who's kid tried to take his driver's exam in one of their many Subaru Impreza/WRXs, all manuals. About halfway through the test his kid was back, the examiner failed him for not getting up to speed on the highway before merging. The examiner also noted that he was "playing with the shift lever all the time" and not keeping 2 hands on the steering wheel.

His son explained that he could only get to ~40 mph in second gear, as fast as he could go with the engine redlined, and examiner warned him if he touched the shift lever one more time she'd fail him. At that moment another examiner happened to walk by. He stop, asked to see his paperwork, and after a quick look, told his kid to schedule his next test with him. The examiner explained that most of the other driver's examiners had never seen a manual transmission and didn't know that they needed to be operated by hand while driving.

He passed the second test, even while "playing" with the shift lever the whole time.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Quote Originally Posted by tka View Post
    I work with a guy who's kid tried to take his driver's exam in one of their many Subaru Impreza/WRXs, all manuals. About halfway through the test his kid was back, the examiner failed him for not getting up to speed on the highway before merging. The examiner also noted that he was "playing with the shift lever all the time" and not keeping 2 hands on the steering wheel.

His son explained that he could only get to ~40 mph in second gear, as fast as he could go with the engine redlined, and examiner warned him if he touched the shift lever one more time she'd fail him. At that moment another examiner happened to walk by. He stop, asked to see his paperwork, and after a quick look, told his kid to schedule his next test with him. The examiner explained that most of the other driver's examiners had never seen a manual transmission and didn't know that they needed to be operated by hand while driving.

He passed the second test, even while "playing" with the shift lever the whole time.
    Here I go playing the generational card:

HA!!! Some boomer or Gen- X'er didn't know what a stick shift was.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Seat's not level
    Automatics are just safer.... at least in Houston.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Attendance at Hillary's inauguration = 0

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    For the true answer please search and read threads such as: Campy Vs. Shimano vs. SRAM. or disc brake, vs canti or Carbon vs Steel vs Ti vs .....

It's all the same. What I like is what you should like, and if you don't agree then you are an idiot.
    Well, alright. I can live with automatic transmission cars with all those speeds they got now, paddle shifting, and giving it a little more gas to downshift one gear. But when everyone moves over to automatic shifting on bikes, they can take the 6 speed friction shifters out of my cold dead hands!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    The question posed by this thread circles around why the attitudes exist that stick shift is "the correct way to motor along," and whether or not it's just ego stroking or a sense of superiority by rabid stick shift enthusiasts.
    A stick certainly gives you more control over the vehicle - in every way.

It also *used* to give you better gas mileage and better performance with a small engine / small car as there was no slippage once in gear.
    A good while ago, the performance hit for automatic transmissions on 1.5 to 1.8 liter engines was substantial.
    That's no longer true with dual clutch transmissions and CVT.

Big truck drivers absolutely need to use manual gearing and engine braking when descending long steep grades. Their brakes would overheat and fade if that's all they had to slow their big rigs down.

Driving enthusiasts, *real* ones, that actually go to a driver's school at the race track also desire manual transmissions. Almost all racing instructors probably require them. It may be possible that paddle shifters and dual clutch transmissions come close to emulating a manual for racing now though. I'll have to ask my friend who does this. He would never ever use anything but a manual at the track, though.

If you want to see the real "attitude" about manuals in action, watch old episodes of the original "Top Gear" show. BTW, if you liked those guys, Jeremy, Richard, and James are now back with a show called the Grand Tour.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post

Driving enthusiasts, *real* ones, that actually go to a driver's school at the race track also desire manual transmissions. Almost all racing instructors probably require them. It may be possible that paddle shifters and dual clutch transmissions come close to emulating a manual for racing now though. I'll have to ask my friend who does this. He would never ever use anything but a manual at the track, though.

DCT/paddle automated manuals have emulated and surpassed manuals in every measurable way a long time ago. In racing they are faster shifting, keep a more constant flow of power, allow the driver to keep their hands on the wheel and are more reliable (no driver error or abuse) than a manual. The ONLY argument for a manual these days is that some find it to be more engaging and entertaining than a DCT. Driving a manual transmission is not necessarily the determining qualification for being a "real" enthusiast anymore.

A lot of high performance driving education is done with your own car even if it is a DCT or automatic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I was just about to post this....

I drive a manual because it's fun to do heel and toe downshifting/rev matching.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    DCT/paddle automated manuals have emulated and surpassed manuals in every measurable way a long time ago. In racing they are faster shifting, keep a more constant flow of power, allow the driver to keep their hands on the wheel and are more reliable (no driver error or abuse) than a manual. The ONLY argument for a manual these days is that some find it to be more engaging and entertaining than a DCT. Driving a manual transmission is not necessarily the determining qualification for being a "real" enthusiast anymore.

A lot of high performance driving education is done with your own car even if it is a DCT or automatic

Yeah, but "PDK is better than DCT"! Sorry, couldn't resist. Just drove 718s this weekend, PDK and stick.

While the Houston incident was tragic, not all car thefts are "car jackings". Regarding the theft deterrent argument, the larger benefit is more often going to be the vehicle being bypassed by thieves while parked.

Conversely, regarding the original topic, you just may never know when you may find yourself in a situation where "knowing how" to drive a manual, may "save" a life, e.g. having to drive someone, or yourself, to the hospital and the only vehicle around is a manual.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by colnagoG60 View Post
    Yeah, but "PDK is better than DCT"! Sorry, couldn't resist. Just drove 718s this weekend, PDK and stick.
    PDK is DCT, but yeah, the PDK is one of the best, if not THE best

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post

Dual clutch transmissions are pretty much standard for high-end road racing series. Formula 1 hasn't had a traditional "H" pattern manual transmission for decades. And driving instructors will instruct no matter your transmission. That said, most amateur racing series still rely on cars with manual transmissions and most track days, autocrosses, and HPDE type courses will still be disproportionally manual equipped cars.

For me, the track is actually the one venue where I wouldn't mind a good paddleshift transmission. There's so much going on that trying to nail your shifts can be sensory overload- and messing up a shift is a good way to upset the balance of your car and potentially spin. On the street, things happen much more slowly and I want the additional engagement of a traditional manual.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456