Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Failboat Captian
    Reputation: JohnnyTooBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,578

    Unhappy Why, yes, it is windy! Need prrof?

    Looking out my office window, I had noticed that it was pretty windy. I rode my motorcycle to work today, and I really don't like riding it when it's that windy, but I was stuck, so I figured, I'd just take it easy on the way home.

    I walked out of my office this afternoon, looked to my left, and there was my motorcycle. ON IT'S SIDE!!!!!

    While it was laying on it's side, it managed to loose a very small amount of fuel (probably poured out of the carb), and I think some antifreeze got mixed in with the fuel in the carb. Took a few tries to get it started and it blew a bunch of smoke for about 3-5 seconds, but after that, it ran fine.

    Ok, so it's only got a book value of under a grand, but still! All that happened was the paint got scuffed up pretty bad on the left marker light housing, on the rear left plastic, and the left mirror. The value of it probably just went down $300-$400. Soon it won't be worth the cost to scrap it. Although if the price of gas keeps going up, it may be worth more, since it averages 60-65 mpg.
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

    Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

  2. #2
    waterproof*
    Reputation: Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    40,855
    I still need more prrof. Poast pix.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rearviewmirror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    248
    +1 The prrof is in the pictures...

  4. #4
    The Thread Killer....
    Reputation: alien4fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    144
    X3 this thread is worthless without pix
    Im just tryin to be the man my dog thinks I am

  5. #5
    Failboat Captian
    Reputation: JohnnyTooBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,578
    Naaa. Waste of time to go and take pics of the damage and post them. so instead, here's this (mine's red and not as badly damaged):

    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

    Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

  6. #6
    It's not TOO Cold!
    Reputation: Sledgehammer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,498
    You need a bigger heavier motorcycle. That way the wind blow it over. Something with a nice low center of gravity. Maybe a H-D Fat Boy.
    “Some truths are eternal, you can’t go high on a prop!” - BBC Commentator, France @ England 6 Nations Rugby. 02/26/2011

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation: Nicole Hamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    609
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTooBad View Post
    I walked out of my office this afternoon, looked to my left, and there was my motorcycle. ON IT'S SIDE!!!!!
    You need a center stand. Not everyone knows how to get full-size bike up onto a center stand, so manufacturers stopped putting them on standard probably 20 years ago as a cost savings. But in the wind, as you've found out, a sidestand just isn't very stable. Assuming your bike accepts a center stand, it shouldn't be expensive. When I bought my Honda 750 Nighthawk in 1999, I think the dealer might have charged me about $200.

  8. #8
    Failboat Captian
    Reputation: JohnnyTooBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Hamilton View Post
    You need a center stand. Not everyone knows how to get full-size bike up onto a center stand, so manufacturers stopped putting them on standard probably 20 years ago as a cost savings. But in the wind, as you've found out, a sidestand just isn't very stable. Assuming your bike accepts a center stand, it shouldn't be expensive. When I bought my Honda 750 Nighthawk in 1999, I think the dealer might have charged me about $200.
    It has one. It wasn't that windy when I got to work in the morning.
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

    Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

  9. #9
    Lets Go Hokies!!!
    Reputation: HokieRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,923
    Hope you put it on the center stand today JTB. Its going to be another windy one!
    Its not over till you're underground


    http://hokierider.blogspot.com

  10. #10
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,590
    Where's the prrof it was the wind?

    Maybe someone doesn't like you and pushed it over.

  11. #11
    half-fast
    Reputation: 10ae1203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,516
    I hate when that happens.

    Actually, I have yet to buy and license a two wheeled vehicle.

    Someday, maybe.

    IT looks like a lot of fun.

    except on windy or rainy days.

  12. #12
    Failboat Captian
    Reputation: JohnnyTooBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,578
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRider View Post
    Hope you put it on the center stand today JTB. Its going to be another windy one!
    Didn't ride it today. It was fairly cold this morning, and I don't like riding when it's chilly. I just get too cold. Plus, like you said, it's going to be windy again today. So I drove the cage and listened to the radio on the way in. I'm hoping to pedal my way into work tomorrow. I don't mind the cool air when I'm working up a sweat, and I think the wind might calm down a bit.
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

    Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

  13. #13
    I ride in circles..
    Reputation: ZoSoSwiM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,175
    knocking on wood.. hope my moto doesn't get blown over any time soon.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

  14. #14
    Lets Go Hokies!!!
    Reputation: HokieRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,923
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTooBad View Post
    Didn't ride it today. It was fairly cold this morning, and I don't like riding when it's chilly. I just get too cold. Plus, like you said, it's going to be windy again today. So I drove the cage and listened to the radio on the way in. I'm hoping to pedal my way into work tomorrow. I don't mind the cool air when I'm working up a sweat, and I think the wind might calm down a bit.
    Won't be as windy, but it might rain....so you've got that.
    Its not over till you're underground


    http://hokierider.blogspot.com

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation: Nicole Hamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    609
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTooBad View Post
    It has one. It wasn't that windy when I got to work in the morning.
    Well, now you know why no one should EVER use a sidestand on a nice motorcycle. I don't care if it's in your own garage. The convenience (and is there any "coolness"?) is not worth it. Get in the habit of always using the center stand.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Hot Deals

Contest

Tour De France

Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook