Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8

RoadBikeReview Member

Windows 8

I bought a nice Lenovo ultrabook a couple of weeks ago, and it came with Win 8.

I've been trying to get used to it, Win 8 that is, but basically I find it a complete, timewasting, frustrating PITA.

No wonder MS fired the guy.

No wonder Dell's in deep dodo.

No wonder PC sales are slumping.

Slow to navigate around. Constant unintended things happening. I don't really have anything I can think of that's an improvement over Win 7. Why oh why couldn't it come with an alternate interface for Laptops and PC's ? We're not all doing everything on a tablet.

It's the Edsel of software. Horrible.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    The iphone interface sucks.

But... desktop mode + 3rd party windows start makes it tolerable

How to get the Start menu back in Windows 8 | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

Frog Whisperer
    bikerJ......and that is a glowing review compared to some of the stuff i have heard.....I'll be skipping win8
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    I've been on Win8 for a few months now.

It's tolerable, but I don't like the invasiveness of it. It tries to "think for you," and the controls over settings are a bit more difficult to navigate (or find).

In other words, it's dumbed down.

I've heard it's still much less of a clusterFK&c than Vista.

Bikerj, how do you like your Lenovo ultrabook? I was looking at them seriously, but then shied away as I was worried about ultrabook durability in general.

Love my Lenovo Ideapad (came with Win8, unfortunately). Works beautifully. Plenty of 3.0/2.0 USB's and other media ports. Runs quiet, cool and fast. Good battery life. Not a glitch yet. Not real impressed with the graphics/sound that they claim is so wonderful.

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    MS seems in a pattern now where every other Windows release is good... which means the other 50% of releases are bad/annoying.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    We bought the kid a laptop for Christmas. It came with Windows 8. She doesn't like it, I hate trying to sort it out when she messes something up. I'm thinking I'll probably end up wiping it and installing 7.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Master debator.
    Been using it for months now. It's an ugly interface, but I'm used to it and I actually like some of the features as I navigate around. I dual boot Windows 7 and 8, and I don't boot into 7 very much any more. There is a learning curve, many people understandably don't have the time or knowledge to figure everything out quickly.
    I use Classic Shell, which is free.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEndicottHiway View Post
    ... It tries to think for you,"...
    Bad things seem to happen any time Microsoft tries to think for me. Apple too. Google gets it closer to what I'm thinking, but that's annoying too.

I will have to deal with delivering apps to win 8 at some point, but with so many win 7 migrations going on, it will be a while.

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    MS seems in a pattern now where every other Windows release is good... which means the other 50% of releases are bad/annoying.
    Yup, as long as you skip every other, you're golden! I've gone from 98SE to XP to 7 and have been perfectly happy.

RoadBikeReview Member

Re: Windows 8

Glad to say I jumped ship and I am riding Mountain Lion. I've never looked back, and given posts like this, I'm not likely to.
    As far as them being invasive..... Did you hear how Facebook is trying to integrate into phones and people's lives?
    The whole tech industry is getting disappointing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    @OEH we may have similar notebooks, Lenovo U410. They are calling it an ultrabook with these specs: Buy the Lenovo U410 14 Core i3 500GB+24GB SSD Ultrabook at TigerDirect.ca

One of the things I didn't mention is that MS have now abolished "windows", that is the ability to have multiple tiled sessions on the screen, and one click moves between them. So, moving between activities becomes much more cumbersome - at least double the number of actions. Plus we have the pleasure of learning a bunch of keyboard commands, just like the days of DOS.

One.

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Been using it for months now. It's an ugly interface, but I'm used to it and I actually like some of the features as I navigate around...
    This is about where my lovely wife is with her Win8 Ultrabook. Then she will ask me to set something up for her, and I spend the first 15 minutes cursing the MS engineers for making my life a miserable hell--and then I usually find out how to bend the machine to my will.

The "dumbing down" really got going with Vista--it is like they woke up one day and decided they wished they were Apple (closed system)--pretty much like eBay woke up and decided they really wanted to be Amazon.

Trouble is. MS is/was/always will be aesthetically challenged, and they are dragging a lot of legacy crap with them, so they will never be Apple.

They could be a better Microsoft possibly, although even that would not be without some challenges.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy View Post
    Yup, as long as you skip every other, you're golden! I've gone from 98SE to XP to 7 and have been perfectly happy.
    That's exactly what my brother told me when I was complaining about Windows 8. He runs the tech department for a mid size town in the midwest. His exact words were "every other version of Windows seems to be a turd".

Master debator.
    Not true, Windows Blue will still suck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Windows 8-untitled7.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    We bought the kid a laptop for Christmas. It came with Windows 8. She doesn't like it, I hate trying to sort it out when she messes something up. I'm thinking I'll probably end up wiping it and installing 7.
    A good choice.
    Win7 was the OS Vista should have been if MS has spend another yr working on it.

Win8 should have had a Win7 interface with a tablet interface as an option.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    There is a learning curve, many people understandably don't have the time or knowledge to figure everything out quickly.
    There's one other option besides time or knowledge, I just plain don't have the desire to mess with it.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Bought my wife a new laptop with Win 8 on it. She's been learning to use it for months, and when she's in a hurry, she just uses her old desktop that still runs XP. I think if MS wasn't a near monopoly, they'd be nuthin'.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's still hard to believe that the company that Bill built has turned so aggressively against the PC/Laptop market that sustained it for so long.

And there's no way I can see any large corporation or government organization wanting to switch to Win 8. It would be professional suicide for any IT group that tried to implement it.

Shuurley, MS is working on an alternate interface. Win 8.1 anybody?

One.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Been using it for months now. It's an ugly interface, but I'm used to it and I actually like some of the features as I navigate around. I dual boot Windows 7 and 8, and I don't boot into 7 very much any more. There is a learning curve, many people understandably don't have the time or knowledge to figure everything out quickly.
    I don't think "learning curve" is the appropriate term. That implies that you're using NEW software or they've added NEW features. Windows 8 is a PITA because they've taken EXISTING things and tucked them away or organized them non-intuitively. For instance, hiding the Shutdown/Restart command under "Settings." WTF? Shutting down is not a setting, and that's not a logical place for it. And the 2D icon motif for Metro is awful. It makes things a millions times harder to find because no icon is indistinguishable from another. And because the icons are so big, you have to scroll and scroll to find what you're looking for (that may be customizable ... I haven't taken the time to look).

I wouldn't be functional at my job (computer consulting) if I wasn't good at quickly figuring out new software products and designs. I've taught myself virtually everything I know how to do on a computer, which is A LOT. But I've had to Google how to shut down Windows 8, how to find the Control Panel, how to enable File Sharing, how to join a domain, how to find "All Apps" to get to stuff like Remote Desktop Connection, etc., etc. This is all stuff I could do without pause since Windows 98.

And yeah, when Vista came out I switched back to Mac. Got a Mac Pro and never looked back. I had a heart-to-heart with myself and realized that if Vista was the future of Microsoft, I'd never want that crap on my own computer.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Master debator.
    The first thing a user should do is install Classic Shell or another start program. Sure, you shouldn't have to, but it's free and it's there. It makes the PC function pretty much like Windows 7, you don't have to use the charms bar or apps screen at all.
    If someone can't figure that out and buys a new PC with Windows 8 and spends money to install Windows 7 over it, well I suspect they have other learning problems.

I'm not saying it's perfect or even an upgrade, but it can be made perfectly usable with just a wee bit of work and is probably not a deal breaker when buying a new PC. I'd call you an advanced computer user, because as a message board like this often shows, some people don't even know how to use Google
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Windows 8-desktop.jpg  
    Last edited by nOOky; 04-12-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Big is relative
    The 13 year old has it on his new desktop, he's fine with it.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck View Post
    Windows 8 is a PITA because they've taken EXISTING things and tucked them away or organized them non-intuitively. For instance, hiding the Shutdown/Restart command under "Settings." WTF? Shutting down is not a setting, and that's not a logical place for it.
    Ding ding ding. You nailed it. It's non-intuitive.

It took me a bit to figure out how to disable automatic updates, but then somewhere along the way it reset itself to default, and the auto-updates kicked in without me knowing about it. I was in the middle of some serious work, when it gave me the message it was shutting down in three minutes to install and complete updates, so I'd better "save my work now."

I was so mad.

Btw, I got tired of hovering around in the bottom corner, fishing around for "settings." Now I just CTRL/ALT/DEL to shut down.

Oh, and I will say I dig the running, real-time ticker of CPU performance and processes in Task Manager. That's pretty nifty.
    Last edited by OldEndicottHiway; 04-12-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Still Here

Windows 8

Install Linux or buy a Mac. Don't complain do something
    It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it.--Douglas MacArthur

In war there is no substitute for victory.----Douglas MacArthur

I'm convinced that the infantry is the group in the army which gives more and gets less than anybody else.--Bill Mauldin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
    Install Linux or buy a Mac. Don't complain do something
    Yes. Ive been using Linux for about 3 years now and will never, ever, EVER buy another Microsoft product unless there is a gun to my head. And even then Id have to think about it for a while. Death....using Windows....hmmm....
    There is a bit of a Linux learning curve, but once you get to know how it works, it is in many ways far superior to Windows or Apple. Not all linux is good though....I hate Ubuntu with about as much passion as I hate Microsoft, but one of the good things about Linux is that you have hundreds of options. Theres something to satisfy just about everybody.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast