Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    The question then is to ask yourself why they're wearing baggy everything, then.
    Think about it, they don't need an aerodynamic advantage as they are using gravity for momentum, (slalom and downhill board racers are in lycra as they need all the speed they can carry) freestyle boarders are usually scrubbing speed before they hit their lines. They also like downhill bikers wear a heap of protective gear under those laundry bags(hip, back, shoulder and chest protectors), without the gear many of those falls would see them out of competition for weeks a season. They also need heaps of pockets for their dope, papers, lighter, camera, doritos and left over pizza.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    The question then is to ask yourself why they're wearing baggy everything, then. All I have is my hair brained theory. It seems purely a fashion/body-image choice either PR or personal.
    They wear what their sponsors want to sell. Which happens to be what boarders wear on the slopes, in large numbers.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Think about it, they don't need an aerodynamic advantage as they are using gravity for momentum, (slalom and downhill board racers are in lycra as they need all the speed they can carry) freestyle boarders are usually scrubbing speed before they hit their lines. They also like downhill bikers wear a heap of protective gear under those laundry bags(hip, back, shoulder and chest protectors), without the gear many of those falls would see them out of competition for weeks a season. They also need heaps of pockets for their dope, papers, lighter, camera, doritos and left over pizza.
    I don't think that's the case though (except the last sentence). They definitely want as much speed as possible sometimes, like 'big air' on the half pipe.
    And while there may be some pads under clothing (though I don't think so) I don't think their butts and privates have so much padding as to require borrowing pants from the MC Hammer. I haven't actually seen pants that loose in the Olympics but have in the past.

hello
    I saw a white guy from Michigan compete under the Japanese flag. I'm confused.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I don't know if it's all "X-games types" or just the snowboarders but Burton designed the snowboarder outfits to mimic old astronaut uniforms. So, at least in that case the hood may just be for the look. If it doesn't get in the way, and offers the option for staying warm while waiting for one's run, why not?

Burton’s astronaut-inspired 2018 Olympic snowboarding uniforms make space the final fashion frontier

I'm also skeptical that they are wearing all the protective gear that Kiwisimon mentioned. That would be a lot of extra weight and movement constraint to deal with. I've known a handful of "B-level" pro snowboarders (in movies and magazines, huge boxes of free schwag shipped to the house each month) and none wore protective gear besides a helmet during competition. Times have changed though so who knows.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    yeah wtf was with that?

You have to quality by showing you're pretty good right?
    Nope, not if you have $$.

Did A Rich Couple Buy Their Way Into The Olympics? | Inside Edition

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
    Chris Reed. His Mom is Japanese and his Dad is American, Still not sure how he can compete representing Japan.
    I did notice a lot of that though. But I don't know how the rules work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by quikrick1 View Post
    Chris Reed. His Mom is Japanese and his Dad is American, Still not sure how he can compete representing Japan.
    I did notice a lot of that though. But I don't know how the rules work.
    The Korean women's hockey coach sure looked and sounded non-Asian to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    The Korean women's hockey coach sure looked and sounded non-Asian to me.
    Well the teams are by nation not race so how she looks doesn't necessarily have anything to do with anything. But she's American. I don't think anyone is claiming she has anything to do with Korea other than being their coach. I've never heard of their being any rules with regard to coaches and can't see why there would be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Well the teams are by nation not race so how she looks doesn't necessarily have anything to do with anything. But she's American. I don't think anyone is claiming she has anything to do with Korea other than being their coach. I've never heard of their being any rules with regard to coaches and can't see why there would be.
    I had to join a conference call so didn't have time to compose a better post. My point was that the coach obviously wasn't a Korean citizen, or at least was VERY new to the country.

Apparently there are no rules for coaches wrt nationality, but the purist in me thinks one should compete/coach for the country they were born in or have spent some (lengthy) minimum amount of time in as a citizen. There would be cases where this wouldn't be fair to an athlete and that's why I'm not wholeheartedly suggesting this. It just seems like there's a lot of "gaming the system" going on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had to join a conference call so didn't have time to compose a better post. My point was that the coach obviously wasn't a Korean citizen, or at least was VERY new to the country.

Apparently there are no rules for coaches wrt nationality, but the purist in me thinks one should compete/coach for the country they were born in or have spent some (lengthy) minimum amount of time in as a citizen. There would be cases where this wouldn't be fair to an athlete and that's why I'm not wholeheartedly suggesting this. It just seems like there's a lot of "gaming the system" going on.
    A lot of gaming the system, professional athletes are allowed in the Olympics, for Petes sake.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    A lot of gaming the system, professional athletes are allowed in the Olympics, for Petes sake.
    I never saw that as an issue. May the best athlete win - why limit it to those who aren't good enough to get paid?

What the what???
    So do athletes go shopping for a country, or do countries go shopping for athletes??? Maybe a bit of both?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out seems easy, wait until you turn around...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I never saw that as an issue. May the best athlete win - why limit it to those who aren't good enough to get paid?
    At one time a conscience decision had to be made to go pro or amateur. The Olympics was originally competed at for the "love" of the game with the thought of the purity of the sport.

Athletes like Greg Lemond had to choose between going pro or to the Olympics and Jim Thorp had his medals taken away because he played on a semi pro team of a game he didn't even compete at an Olympics in.
    Too old to ride plastic

hello
    Quote Originally Posted by quikrick1 View Post
    I read that Chris and his older sister, Kathy (also a skater), had dual citizenships until they were 21 and competed representing the US, then Japan.
    Japanese law forces you to choose a single citizenship when you become an adult. They both chose to retain their Japanese citizenships so they can continue to represent Japan. They are not US citizens.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

Custom Title= ?
    Leslie Jones, Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir should get a medal for.. eh, brutal honesty? Most suitcases?
    Qh6+!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    So do athletes go shopping for a country, or do countries go shopping for athletes??? Maybe a bit of both?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mostly athletes looking for a country. A common theme is an athlete that isn't quite good enough to make the A team in their country of origin, but they find a different path into a team from another country so that they can compete in the Olympics.

For instance there are a lot China native Table Tennis players that are world class level, but not good enough to be on the Chinese A team to play in any international events, much less the limited number that can go to the Olympics. So, they go to another country and gain citizenship to continue their careers. The thing is that some countries are much more lax than other countries in how easy it is to gain citizenship. The U.S. is actually pretty stringent, and requires at least 5 years to be a resident before gaining citizenship, and even then as athletes they have an easier path to citizenship than an ordinary shmoe that just wants to get a green card to live and work in the U.S.

As far as coaches, it seems there is no citizenship requirement. They have been showing a figure skating coach that is concurrently coaching an American, Japanese, and Russian skater in these olympics. The Chinese curling coach appears to be from Canada or possibly a Scandanavian country.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    They wear what their sponsors want to sell. Which happens to be what boarders wear on the slopes, in large numbers.
    Yeah, this... As hilarious as your post is Swift! I think itís just merchandising... And, to some extent the culture of a very young sport. The marginal gains to be had by technical gear havenít really been exploited because Team Sky hasnít entered snow boarding yet. When they do, the PEDs will follow.

On judging snowboarding tricks. Just stop. Wait until the next day to determine the podium, after the boarders have a night of bong hits and joking around about who really shredded it. They will decide the best runs organically, albeit, the podium will all be the same level.

On coaching, Team USA Men had a South Korean coach who worked them too hard going into Sochi and they went on strike about it and wound up with the best team in years that grossly underperformed. It was awful.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I saw that, but what about all the anecdotal evidence that says red. Will this supplant the brake type or tire pressure discussions?
    My next bike will be blue. You'd be crazy otherwise. Itís faster and science says so. This has turned my world upside down. Red, everyone knows red is faster. Everyone. Except the scientists who know the real truth... Blue. You watch, Team Shy will be in blue next Tour of France. Marginal gains...
    Last edited by PBL450; 02-12-2018 at 05:49 PM.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Non non normal
    [QUOTE=Marc;5215475]That is the reason I don't watch judged artistic athletic competitions. Working in the arts....making competitions out of art forms to me cheapens the entire endeavor. Makes everyone obsess over ever increasingly arcane numerology--and appreciate artistry less, worrying about the pissing match of who is "best".

^^^^^^This. I pretty much don't want to watch anything that is judged. I like cc skiing, biathalon, curling, downhill, super G, slalom, speed skating.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Non non normal
    Quote Originally Posted by Bixe View Post
    Leslie Jones, Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir should get a medal for.. eh, brutal honesty? Most suitcases?
    Did you see the picture with them about bringing the Hunger Games to the Olympics? Hilarious
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

I feel that way about athletes. But not coaches. If an athlete is great enough I wouldn't handicap them if the sport is new, or not popular, or for whatever reason there might not be any good coaches in the country.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
    There are 198 athletes at the 2018 Winter Olympics competing for other countries than they are actually from.

In some cases they have dual citizenship, which allows them to compete for either country ... usually the country they can actually qualify in, so in some circumstances, it's easier in their "2nd country" than where they actually live.

Other countries will allow you to "Buy" your way in. Basically, if you establish little more than residence in the country you can compete for them, as long as you had not competed for another country (I'm assuming on the international stage) within the last 3 years.

The guy from Tonga (he was actually born in Australia) actually did meet qualifying standards, as most have to meet minimum standards to actually compete that are set by the sport. He had to race a certain number of races, and place well enough in multiple races to be able to compete ... he made it two weeks ago in Iceland at an international XC race.

There are multiple Americans on the South Korean womens hockey team as well.

The Nigerian woman's bobsled team is actually composed of three Americans, one Nigerian.

In the end ... get there anyway you can ... I know I would!

With all of that said ... they are fun to watch, it's always fun to see the best in the world go at it, regardless of sport, they can do some amazing things.

I love watching long track speed skating, the Biathalon, alpine events and sledding sports. Don't much care for snowboarding, figure skating/dancing, etc.
    Bikes:
    • 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Disc
    • 2017 Fuji Norcom Straight 2.1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Did you see the picture with them about bringing the Hunger Games to the Olympics? Hilarious
    Haha, worldwide, archery was the most watched sport in the last summer games...

Non non normal
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Haha, worldwide, archery was the most watched sport in the last summer games...
    https://www.facebook.com/DailySnarkc...272077/?type=3

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast