Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Kelly Clark got robbed! Her run was SO clean, but she got shafted on scoring.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Master debator.
    True dat.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why all of the athletes in the "X-games" type events (like slopeside, halfpipe, etc) all wear loose-fitting hooded jackets, but never use the hood? I sort of get that it's part of their casual, millenial, gnarly attitude. But I would think that, at the highest level of the sport, all of the gear serves some technical purpose.
    I think it's just part of the culture of the sport. They are impressive though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Kelly Clark got robbed! Her run was SO clean, but she got shafted on scoring.
    her score was a bit low at 83 on that final run, and the NBC commentator pointed that out. But then the Chinese girl, who went after Clark, also did a good run herself, and the NBC commentator said it would be interesting to see how the judges score the Chinese girl, and they gave her a 76. So the judges weren't being all that inconsistent. Maybe the judges were expecting something spectacular from the athletes at the tail end of the competition if they were going to hand out a high score. I think all sports that rely on judging is like this, you need to really step up your game in the final run for them to notice. Chloe Kim nailed back to back 1080's and they gave her a 98.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Quote Originally Posted by crankout View Post
    I think it's just part of the culture of the sport. They are impressive though.
    I've wondered the same thing, thinking tight aero clothes would be easier to do tricks in. Maybe the baggy clothes hide imperfection in form. Shaun White's black ninja outfits are pretty cool and I'm surprised more people haven't gone with that look.

Edit: sorry - I skipped page 2 and looks like this issue has been addressed. I feel better now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    I've wondered the same thing, thinking tight aero clothes would be easier to do tricks in. Maybe the baggy clothes hide imperfection in form. Shaun White's black ninja outfits are pretty cool and I'm surprised more people haven't gone with that look.

Edit: sorry - I skipped page 2 and looks like this issue has been addressed. I feel better now.
    One point on the hoods that were mentioned earlier: for day-to-day skiing, loose hoods are really nice for the lifts. They can go over your helmet and keep you warm on the lift where you are exposed to the wind and not moving around. You don't need them for going down. The racers don't have the luxury - at their speeds a hood flying up would be like deploying a drag chute.

That being said, it wouldn't shock me to see Olympic freestyle athletes switch to tight clothing for consistent aero while in the air and better speed when they need it. If one competitor does it and wins, they will all start switching.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    One point on the hoods that were mentioned earlier: for day-to-day skiing, loose hoods are really nice for the lifts. They can go over your helmet and keep you warm on the lift where you are exposed to the wind and not moving around. You don't need them for going down. The racers don't have the luxury - at their speeds a hood flying up would be like deploying a drag chute.

That being said, it wouldn't shock me to see Olympic freestyle athletes switch to tight clothing for consistent aero while in the air and better speed when they need it. If one competitor does it and wins, they will all start switching.
    Sorry to beat a dead horse but.......like the other night on that three jump course thing when it was really windy and people were getting blow all over the place. It might not have made the difference because it was REALLY windy, but baggy clothing and a parachute as a hood definitely wasn't a good idea for doing tricks in a wind storm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    On the East coast of US and watching on local times, but Shaun White just killed it. Must have been the burger he ate (Google it).

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Why can't I post this in all caps?

BOOM! SHAUN WHITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

What the what???
    I’m impressed how spoiler-free the internet has been. I tried to Google the result of the half-pipe and couldn’t find who won until it was televised on NBC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

Not Banned
    agreed on Clark. I find it funny that the majority of US Medalists at this junction are from SoCal.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

I make Eagles fly
    Shaun Whites halfpipe run, wow that dude can fly
    If you don't follow the liberal flock, you are called a troll.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    There are 198 athletes at the 2018 Winter Olympics competing for other countries than they are actually from.

In some cases they have dual citizenship, which allows them to compete for either country ... usually the country they can actually qualify in, so in some circumstances, it's easier in their "2nd country" than where they actually live.

Other countries will allow you to "Buy" your way in. Basically, if you establish little more than residence in the country you can compete for them, as long as you had not competed for another country (I'm assuming on the international stage) within the last 3 years.

The guy from Tonga (he was actually born in Australia) actually did meet qualifying standards, as most have to meet minimum standards to actually compete that are set by the sport. He had to race a certain number of races, and place well enough in multiple races to be able to compete ... he made it two weeks ago in Iceland at an international XC race.

There are multiple Americans on the South Korean womens hockey team as well.

The Nigerian woman's bobsled team is actually composed of three Americans, one Nigerian.

In the end ... get there anyway you can ... I know I would!

With all of that said ... they are fun to watch, it's always fun to see the best in the world go at it, regardless of sport, they can do some amazing things.

I love watching long track speed skating, the Biathalon, alpine events and sledding sports. Don't much care for snowboarding, figure skating/dancing, etc.
    The Snowboarder for Ireland is originally from San Diego CA
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Seat's not level
    Interesting fact. The skin suits worn by the USA skiers are only worn once during competition. Once worn, they stretch and let more air through the fabric and become less aerodynamic. The skin suits are custom made for each skier.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Interesting fact. The skin suits worn by the USA skiers are only worn once during competition. Once worn, they stretch and let more air through the fabric and become less aerodynamic. The skin suits are custom made for each skier.
    that is interesting.

Let's hope the cycling industry doesn't get a hold of that fabric. I can just imagine the questions that might lead to on this site: "I have a Gran Fondo coming up and plan to get a $2000 skin suit that'll only work once, should I get a xxl or xxxl?"

Seat's not level
    Can you imagine being in charge of the kit order? Yea, I'd like 37 skin suits, 26 pairs of bibs, 34 jerseys and .... that will be $15,256.34... sounds right. Honey, I'm going to put some kits on the credit card. :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    that is interesting.

Let's hope the cycling industry doesn't get a hold of that fabric. I can just imagine the questions that might lead to on this site: "I have a Gran Fondo coming up and plan to get a $2000 skin suit that'll only work once, should I get a xxl or xxxl?"
    Post of the Day.

LOL funny
    Too old to ride plastic

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Lots of North Americans on Korea's men's hockey team. I don't have a problem with any of it. The athletes are in most cases are making a commitment to the country they're competing for and the coaches don't get medals at the Olympics. Foreign coaches in international competition are commonplace at the Olympics, and with FIFA and FIBA.
    How 6 Canadian hockey players became Korean citizens and Olympians - World - CBC News

gazing from the shadows
    There have been a lot of good races in XC skiing and biathlon. Really good competition, and some super close finishes. I'm not usually a fan, but managed to see some of these while doing other things. Hard to get better racing. And it was cool to see Germany sweep the podium in men's Nordic combined, after never having won a medal before.

Curling, USA men's run has been wild. Did you know if you blend the accents of the US and UK curlers, you get a Canadian accent? That's a scientific fact, which I read online, so it must be true.

US men beat Canada in curling, and the women beat Canada in hockey. Sorry aboot that Canadians! We know you really care about those sports and all.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I think I coulda been a contender in curling.

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I gave up watching them once NBC got the exclusive to air all them in the USA around '02. Now the Olympics in the USA as telecast in the USA are 80% commercials, 15% fluff background pieces...occasionally interrupted by some athletic activity.
    NBC = Nothing But Commercials

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I never fail to enjoy the Olympic Games, whether they're the winter ones or summer ones. I have no loyalties, no bets down, no prejudices. I agree it's a trifle ridiculous that aesthetic events such as figure skating are decided on criteria that's far from being aesthetically valid, but it does make cockeyed sense. After all, isn't the Olympics officially a sporting venue? Should hockey games be decided on the quality of the skating, passing and fierceness of the checking, not on the actual amount of goals scored?

In any event, nothing is as satisfying to me in sport as the downhill skiing. It's utterly pure. You go down once. Best time wins. And I gotta say, too that I'm getting thoroughly sick of half-pipe.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    In any event, nothing is as satisfying to me in sport as the downhill skiing. It's utterly pure. You go down once. Best time wins.
    Remember this?

English below

Last edited by Eretz; 02-23-2018 at 05:51 PM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    NBC = Nothing But Commercials
    True dat.

The other night, I watched a couple of hours of some damned figure skating, and when they announced they were only ten couples into a twenty-something couple program, I bailed and went to bed.

Then the boobies popped out.

I did get to hear Adam (don't recall the last name) from NBC, giving the lead-in to Terry Gannon, Tara Lipinski, and Johnny Weir, saying, "Terry, you look fabulous...and Tara and Johnny, you both look good too." Tara was wearing a gold sequined dress, and Johnny was sporting a gold brocade jacket.

Subtle.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    US men beat Canada in curling, and the women beat Canada in hockey. Sorry aboot that Canadians! We know you really care about those sports and all.
    yeah it's a weird year for Canada to not be winning all the golds in hockey and curling. Not weird for the US though, US always such a big winner in the Olympics and deservedly so.

and yet as much choking going on by the shoe-in canadians, the country's athletes still settings its own best records on the medal table. weird that too.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast