Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics

RoadBikeReview Member

Winter Olympics

I may have missed it, but didn’t see a new thread about the Olympics. I really enjoy watching the winter games. I prefer them over summer other than the cycling. I can’t get enough of the bobsled, luge and skeleton.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I prefer the winter games as well. I cut my cable and am now streaming. I haven't seen a way to watch without paying for a live feed with NBC or Hulu. I will be OK though.

Proud luddite
    Hopefully they’ll have barrel jumping this time. Cuz I like barrel jumping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    If i have to watch any more moguls (seems moguls is what our telecast is majoring here) I'll shoot the tv, ski dancing is better than moguls and ski dancing is poopy
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    first Olympics where I'll miss the entirety of it. flying out tomorrow for 2 weeks
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Hopefully they’ll have barrel jumping this time. Cuz I like barrel jumping.
    Do they still do that?

I remember that from when I was a kid. Haven't seen it in half a century or more.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    first Olympics where I'll miss the entirety of it. flying out tomorrow for 2 weeks
    I gave up watching them once NBC got the exclusive to air all them in the USA around '02. Now the Olympics in the USA as telecast in the USA are 80% commercials, 15% fluff background pieces...occasionally interrupted by some athletic activity.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Haven't watched the winter olympics since,....ever. Hard to have an international Olympics dedicated to snow and ice when the vast majority of countries don't have those two things. Rich people's games, and it's a borefest except the halfpipe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I really like them for the sports I don't get to see otherwise.
    For example, while hockey is my favorite sport, I don't care much about the Olympics hockey because I see enough otherwise. Although not having NHL players does up my interest. Whereas I'm really into cross country skiing in the olympics. But don't imagine I would give it the time of day if I could see it all the time outside the Olympics.

Figures skating sucks though. Which is fine and I understand the sports in the games are not selected based on what I like......but the way it can dominate coverage at times kinda ticks me off.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I hope that XC skier from Tonga finds a shirt before his event!

Until then.....CURLING!!!! YEAH!!!!!!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I hope that XC skier from Tonga finds a shirt before his event!

Until then.....CURLING!!!! YEAH!!!!!!
    yeah wtf was with that?

You have to quality by showing you're pretty good right? I seem to remember you can't get in just by being the only dude in your country who signs up after Eddy the Eagle essentially got in that way. I think you need to prove you're at that level now.

I think they said he just started skiing a couple years ago. So he must be pretty gifted athletically if I'm correct about needing to show you belong by qualifying. Kind of a tool though.

Russian Troll Farmer
    He stated XC skiing less than a year ago, and he managed to qualify in Iceland recently. He was in the Summer Olympics in Rio 2 years ago, too.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Can someone please explain to me why all of the athletes in the "X-games" type events (like slopeside, halfpipe, etc) all wear loose-fitting hooded jackets, but never use the hood? I sort of get that it's part of their casual, millenial, gnarly attitude. But I would think that, at the highest level of the sport, all of the gear serves some technical purpose.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why all of the athletes in the "X-games" type events (like slopeside, halfpipe, etc) all wear loose-fitting hooded jackets, but never use the hood? I sort of get that it's part of their casual, millenial, gnarly attitude. But I would think that, at the highest level of the sport, all of the gear serves some technical purpose.
    Totally have been wondering the same thing.
    The stuff they do is incredible and they get judged subjectively on style and execution.
    I suppose that clothing might mask slight flaws from the judge but I can't help but think what they do would look so much more impressive to a judge if they didn't look like a load of laundry flying though the air.
    Last edited by Jay Strongbow; 02-11-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Totally have been wondering the game thing.
    The stuff they do is incredible and they get judged subjectively on style and execution.
    I suppose that clothing might mask slight flaws from the judge but I can't help but think what they do would look so much more impressive to a judge if they didn't look like a load of laundry flying though the air.
    It is the canvas-bag-wearing anti-MAMIL fashion, I suspect.

Easy to be less self conscious about body image and how you look buried inside a flappy snowsuit staying warm, as opposed to skin tight technical fabrics. Also better for your brand visually, if you aren't really ripped/lean...because to not get mocked, you need to be one if not both, especially given lights and cameras.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    they ... look like a load of laundry flying though the air.
    Literally had me laughing out loud. Rep'd
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    Literally had me laughing out loud. Rep'd
    Thanks, glad it provided a laugh.

While that's exactly what I think when I see them and I meant it literally.....I couldn't help but laughing myself when I typed it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    It is the canvas-bag-wearing anti-MAMIL fashion, I suspect.

Easy to be less self conscious about body image and how you look buried inside a flappy snowsuit staying warm, as opposed to skin tight technical fabrics. Also better for your brand visually, if you aren't really ripped/lean...because to not get mocked, you need to be one if not both, especially given lights and cameras.
    So you figure the sport with probably the youngest and arguably among the most gifted athletes in the games have a monopoly on this body image concern? And just by coincidence 100% (it seems) have it while 0% in other sports do?
    Could be. Interesting theory to hear on a message board full of middle age cyclists though.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    So you figure the sport with probably the youngest and arguably among the most gifted athletes in the games have a monopoly on this body image concern? And just by coincidence 100% (it seems) have it while 0% in other sports do?
    Could be. Interesting theory to hear on a message board full of middle age cyclists though.
    The question then is to ask yourself why they're wearing baggy everything, then. All I have is my hair brained theory. It seems purely a fashion/body-image choice either PR or personal.

Bicyclists get derided no matter what.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    The question then is to ask yourself why they're wearing baggy everything, then.

I got nothing beyond quoting what AlanE kicked of this side topic with: "I sort of get that it's part of their casual, millenial, gnarly attitude. But I would think that, at the highest level of the sport, all of the gear serves some technical purpose."

What the what???
    What’s the deal with figure skating where skaters who attempt a difficult jump and land on their ass get points for the jump. Just watched Adam Rippon skate an excellent and clean free-style program but placed 3rd behind a Canadian and a Russian who fell multiple times. He was robbed I tells ‘ya...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    What’s the deal with figure skating where skaters who attempt a difficult jump and land on their ass get points for the jump. Just watched Adam Rippon skate an excellent and clean free-style program but placed 3rd behind a Canadian and a Russian who fell multiple times. He was robbed I tells ‘ya...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That is the reason I don't watch judged artistic athletic competitions. Working in the arts....making competitions out of art forms to me cheapens the entire endeavor. Makes everyone obsess over ever increasingly arcane numerology--and appreciate artistry less, worrying about the pissing match of who is "best".

I think it was 2 summer Olympiads back. One of the USA gymnastics girls was doing an uneven-bars routine. Was flying perfectly through the routine...then skipped an item, in midair. Complete skipped, girl didn't even blink. If you didn't have a cheat sheet-you'd never have known she skipped it. She got the equivalent of an "F" even though everything else was on the money. Which subconscious improvisation is more impressive to me than ticking off item by item on a cookbook.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am a crazed Winter Olympics fan. I love to XC ski, played hockey for my entire youth and spent tons of time with figure skaters. Literally grew up in an ice rink.Took up speed skating later in life. Biathalon was my fave growing up and I made my own courses. Short track speed skating is an amazing sport.

What matters more more than anything else? Blue. I, like all of you, think red. But science (ahem) says blue.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    I am a crazed Winter Olympics fan. I love to XC ski, played hockey for my entire youth and spent tons of time with figure skaters. Literally grew up in an ice rink.Took up speed skating later in life. Biathalon was my fave growing up and I made my own courses. Short track speed skating is an amazing sport.

What matters more more than anything else? Blue. I, like all of you, think red. But science (ahem) says blue.
    I saw that, but what about all the anecdotal evidence that says red. Will this supplant the brake type or tire pressure discussions?
    Too old to ride plastic

Darling of The Lounge
    So far, Shani Davis is still in the running for the Gold in the American Drama Queen competition:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...g-12583986.php

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast