Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wonder Woman

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    Gal Gadot is perfect.
    I agree with this. They cast the role perfectly, and she did a great job with it.

My only minor nits with this movie were the lack of depth of the supporting characters (lots of fun potential there), and some of the CGI fight scenes were a little rough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's rare to see these type of expensive movies that have a woman as the main character. Nice to see it's doing well and I hope men aren't going to see it for boobies.
    “Man may trust man, Prince Elric, but perhaps we'll never have a truly sane world until men learn to trust mankind. That would mean the death of magic, I think.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Loved the show growing up, was Wonder Woman for several years in a row for Halloween back then. About damn time she makes a comeback, why did it take this long?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

biding my time
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Loved the show growing up, was Wonder Woman for several years in a row for Halloween back then. About damn time she makes a comeback, why did it take this long?
    About a decade back, IIRC, Warner Bros was working with Joss Whedon on a Wonder Woman movie... i.e., the guy who had made Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly. Two very terrific TV series, those.

But, again IIRC, Warner didn't like Whedon's script and general concept for a WW film, so the Wonder Woman movie didn't get made.

What was funny about that was Whedon then went on to write and direct The Avengers instead, for Walt Disney/Marvel... which made something like $1.5 billion at the worldwide box office, and became the third-highest grossing movie of all time, behind only Avatar and Titanic.

So, basically, Warner was a bunch of dopes, that's why.
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    She misplaced her invisible airplane and it took decades to find it.

Banned forever.....or not
    The invisible airplane was in all the trailers and featured in the movie.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    About a decade back, IIRC, Warner Bros was working with Joss Whedon on a Wonder Woman movie... i.e., the guy who had made Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly. Two very terrific TV series, those.

But, again IIRC, Warner didn't like Whedon's script and general concept for a WW film, so the Wonder Woman movie didn't get made.

What was funny about that was Whedon then went on to write and direct The Avengers instead, for Walt Disney/Marvel... which made something like $1.5 billion at the worldwide box office, and became the third-highest grossing movie of all time, behind only Avatar and Titanic.

So, basically, Warner was a bunch of dopes, that's why.
    Warners may be a bunch of dopes but in general feature screenwriters are not on any particular studio's payroll. The writer writes a script. The writer's agent sends it to every studio in town. A studio, say Warners, buys the script. The writer (or other writers) does rewrites, a process called Development. Costs escalate. Elements - actors, directors, etc - come and go. Sometimes, the funds allocated to the film wind up re-allocated. The property "goes into turnaround," in other words it goes up for sale to another studio. The original studio gets some cash or a percentage from the studio that subsequently "picks it up."

Meantime, the writer still writes. The writer still has talent. Chances are good the writer's next script will be bought...and will be released...by Warners.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Plus View Post
    I have mixed feelings about WW. Is she the most powerful feminist in the world, a hot babe with titties that can do some very cool things, or both? Eh, no matter. I'll watch the film when it hits On Demand.
    “Man may trust man, Prince Elric, but perhaps we'll never have a truly sane world until men learn to trust mankind. That would mean the death of magic, I think.”

What the Hell is going on
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    I agree with this. They cast the role perfectly, and she did a great job with it.

My only minor nits with this movie were the lack of depth of the supporting characters (lots of fun potential there), and some of the CGI fight scenes were a little rough.
    True. WW crew were only there for comic relief. I mean, why go through all the hoopla of having a narcoleptic, alcoholic Scottish sharp shooter who doesn't shot anything. The giant American Indian, I guess, was suppose to be an expert tracker but he didn't track anything either. Nitpicking, yes. Still a great show (minus the boobs).
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Crusty AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Tschai View Post
    I have mixed feelings about WW. Is she the most powerful feminist in the world, a hot babe with titties that can do some very cool things, or both? Eh, no matter. I'll watch the film when it hits On Demand.
    We watched the trailer with our daughter last night, and she was was very excited. Still too little for the movie though.

We then searched out on youtube some clips of the original TV show, which was on when I was a kid. I was mildly surprised by the number of slow motion scenes with WW running head-on into the camera. Fair bit of eye-rolling with my wife and I. The production folks back then didn't seem to be pushing the strong female role model line all that hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We then searched out on youtube some clips of the original TV show, which was on when I was a kid. I was mildly surprised by the number of slow motion scenes with WW running head-on into the camera. Fair bit of eye-rolling with my wife and I. The production folks back then didn't seem to be pushing the strong female role model line all that hard.

As a kid, all I knew was that she was a gorgeous and powerful woman (I guess for women, good looks are a sort of superpower.) There weren't too many other female superheroes, and certainly none with their own TV show.

Watching the show as a grown-up is an entirely different experience. I didn't even notice the gratuitous innuendo. Slow-motion running was just like the Bionic Man special effects.....as far as I was concerned!

a real member's member
    is Gleek in it?

Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    All I can say is...

"Oh, Mighty...."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtTnCrQ_1lc

What the what???

Wonder Woman

Electra Woman and DynaGirl...

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Electro man, Electronic woman

Couldn't help it.

https://youtu.be/8yz8FTWFuTs
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post

biding my time
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post

DynaGirl was hawt.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Not long ago I saw a very interesting documentary on the history of the Wonder Woman character from comic book origins to today entitled "Wonder Women! The Untold Story of American Superheroines".

Here's a trailer for that documentary:

Apparently the comic book character has seen several changes over the years, where Wonder Woman has sort of wavered between a victimized-female type of character and a more feminist-hero type of character. There was a revival of the more feminist portrayal of her that led up to the TV show rendition in the 70s, which has led to the popularity of the character today.

The TV show in the 70's was pretty typical soft-core eye-candy female character portrayal of the times. But it really was a bit of a game-changer in creating a stronger feminist character. Lynda Carter was pretty classy in her portrayal, as much as my teenage brain appreciated her bouncing around in that costume.

biding my time
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Warners may be a bunch of dopes but in general feature screenwriters are not on any particular studio's payroll.

The writer writes a script. The writer's agent sends it to every studio in town. A studio, say Warners, buys the script. The writer (or other writers) does rewrites, a process called Development. Costs escalate. Elements - actors, directors, etc - come and go. Sometimes, the funds allocated to the film wind up re-allocated. The property "goes into turnaround," in other words it goes up for sale to another studio. The original studio gets some cash or a percentage from the studio that subsequently "picks it up."
    Only Warner Bros. has the movie rights for Wonder Woman and DC Comics characters in general, I believe.

So, yeah, Whedon was working with Warner, Warner didn't like Whedon's work, Whedon said, "Fine", and went and made $3 billion total in worldwide box office for Walt Disney instead (two Avengers films).

And why any studio exec would bet against Whedon doing a good job with strong female characters (his specialty), is frankly beyond me.

biding my time
    Finally saw it. Liked it quite a bit, but maybe not quite as much as some. It is, however, the first good DC-Comics-character film since The Dark Knight, which was almost a decade ago. They've been 0-for-7 since then.

First off, Gal Gadot really does nail it, she's pretty much a perfect Wonder Woman (aka 'Diana Prince'). Her accent bothered me a tiny bit at first, but then it was like, "She's Ancient Greek, dude. What do you want?". She nails the character's humanity and openness in a very believable way, not an easy task in the age of snark, 'tude, and winking at the camera. Wonder Woman, both the film and the character, is sort of an antidote to all that.

Chris Pine's really good too as Steve Trevor, and reminded me why I always like him in leading-man good guy roles. He's just sort of effortlessly 'that guy', and always disappears into the character.

And, as someone who's read the comics, I think they got it mostly right. The first act, on Paradise Island, is pretty wonderful, they actually capture the beauty and scope of the place. Would've liked to have seen a tiny bit more of Amazonian culture though, but we do get some. And Robin Wright is pretty great as Antiope, an Amazonian general and Diana's mentor.

The one nit I'd pick would be the casting of Artemis, who doesn't have anything much to do in this film but who figures very prominently in later stories as Diana's chief rival.

They cast (46-year-old African-American) boxer Ann Wolfe as her, and while I applaud the inclusion of 'minority Amazons' (you see them sprinkled in in a lot of shots and modest speaking roles, and it's a good choice), Artemis in the comics has a very distinct and striking look... namely she's a tall, green-eyed redhead with ankle-length hair done up in a long whirling high-ponytail.

That look is part of her character, and to go directly against type was a mistake, in my opinion. It'd be like casting Superman as a 5'2" Asian guy. Nothing inherently abhorrent about it, but, that's just not Superman.

Nits aside, the Amazon's home island of Themyscira is so wonderful you almost hate to see Diana and Steve Trevor sail off to England to try to stop World War I, but they do. And the second act is almost as good as the first, as it focuses in good measure on Diana's 'culture' shock' and her views of the modern world. There's also not a little bit of comedy in the film, and most of it works well.

(though one issue in this act (and later on) is that Steve Trevor assembles a team of rogue-ish commando sidekicks, and they aren't given all that much to do. Ah well, nits again.)

But, the big problem in all superhero films (and big summer 'blockbusters' in general) is that pesky third and final act, and Wonder Woman does trip up a bit here.

Big, bad, boring overly-long CGI super-fight? Check. That also doesn't really seem to ever show the main character in any believable sense of peril, just thrown around a lot? Check. And which reminds you that in seemingly all movies like this, the more powerful the combatants, the lamer the fight is for some odd reason? Check-a-roonie.

The one advantage that Wonder Woman has over similar films in this is that the emotional and philosophical stakes of the final battle are at least spelled out well... Ares, the God of War, plays basically an ersatz Satan, someone who 'tempts' and enables mankind's worst impulses, but is not the source of them (and World War I is the perfect setting for his 'evil is in all of mankind' argument , as opposed to WW2, where one side had very clearly had lost the moral high ground). And this does upend Diana's world view completely, and makes her realize she was wrong all along.

But still, it's pretty obvious that (otherwise excellent) director Patty Jenkins doesn't really care about the final battle very much, so that when Diana eventually pushes her god-like 'I win' button, it doesn't really matter much. It does however set Diana upon a believable path of being a hero in the modern world, as opposed to someone who can deux ex machina mankind into a utopian, peaceful future (presumably complete with unicorns crapping rainbows).

How good is it overall? It could've been great, but with it being constrained to hit certain buttons (i.e. gotta have the big CGI finale for the kids and the international box office) and a certain pacing, Wonder Woman winds up being merely good and occasionally very good, though easily the best DC Comics film in a long, long time.

Three stars out of four, leaning towards three-and-half almost. Expect to see lots more of Gal Gadot in coming years, and, hopefully, director Patty Jenkins, who I think will become even better if the studio can give her a freer hand (nothing like a huge hit under her belt to enable that), and if she decides to bone up on her super-fight scenes a bit (though no one's really gotten those right so far).

There's a Justice League film coming up in November that Gadot will be in, if there is a cinema god, it will not suck.

biding my time
    ps- Comic-book Artemis.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    System -- fine review of WW. And pretty much how I saw it, too.

As for Whedon's departure from the WW film, you gotta know that there are a lot of cooks stirring the broth when it comes to any tentpole motion picture. Who knows who gave Whedon the heave-ho? I don't know any of the facts and I'm talking straight off the top of my head here, but just for starters it's possible that Zack Snyder, a major-major current force in the movie biz, just didn't like Whedon's take. Maybe Zack decided to proffer his own version (with the other writers on the team working from Snyder's notes) and everybody liked it a hell of a lot. Maybe Whedon's contract called for a certain number of drafts, and when he was called to do yet another draft, he had another commitment?

In any case, maybe I'm not paying close enough attention, but it doesn't look like anybody's crying over spilt milk here. I'm sure Whedon got plenty of bucks for his drafts. I'm sure he's got no shortage of future assignments. I'll bet WB is reasonably happy with the box office results.
    Last edited by Mapei; 1 Week Ago at 03:22 PM. Reason: clarity
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

biding my time
    In any case, maybe I'm not paying close enough attention, but it doesn't look like anybody's crying over spilt milk here. I'm sure Whedon got plenty of bucks for his drafts. I'm sure he's got no shortage of future assignments. I'll bet WB is reasonably happy with the box office results.
    I'm sure Warner Bros is ecstatic that they finally put out a good DC Universe film, one that's exceeded expectations both critically and at the box office. And, perhaps most importantly for the long-term, has also quieted a great many fans who were disappointed/angry with what WB was doing to their heroes.

That said, odds are very good that with Whedon, WB could have had this moment a decade ago. And that the DCU would've been on firmer ground right now, instead of in a several-years-long state of fan dread. As in, "Oh god, how bad is this next movie going to be?"

Finally, word is that Zack Snyder has been demoted somewhat within Warner's DCU 'brain trust'. He's certainly spectacular visually, but his storytelling skills are increasingly suspect, and his dark-toned DCU films aren't in keeping with the nature of the characters (Batman aside), and have underperformed both critically and at the box office.

But director Patty Jenkins has pointed out another path for the DCU with Wonder Woman, and I think WB would be very wise to follow her lead, tonally.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Finally, word is that Zack Snyder has been demoted somewhat within Warner's DCU 'brain trust'. He's certainly spectacular visually, but his storytelling skills are increasingly suspect, and his dark-toned DCU films aren't in keeping with the nature of the characters (Batman aside), and have underperformed both critically and at the box office.
    Hey, you're more inside the biz than I am!

And another topic for discussion: The decreasing importance of cogent step-by-step storytelling for a motion picture's success. A coherent overall theme or vibe continue to be crucial, but M to N continuity (or, for that matter G through X continuity) just don't seem to matter anymore for a picture's success. To these eyes, we can blame it on portable devices. The damn things shorten the attention span. Let's just see another cool action sequence! Who cares how it came to happen?

biding my time
    Hey, you're more inside the biz than I am!
    Of course I'm not.

But, I'm guessing you either a) don't care about stuff like that, or b) even if you did, there's no way on Planet Earth you're gonna discuss it out loud on an internet forum... aka 'the walls have ears'.

And another topic for discussion: The decreasing importance of cogent step-by-step storytelling for a motion picture's success. A coherent overall theme or vibe continue to be crucial, but M to N continuity (or, for that matter G through X continuity) just don't seem to matter anymore for a picture's success.

To these eyes, we can blame it on portable devices. The damn things shorten the attention span. Let's just see another cool action sequence! Who cares how it came to happen?
    I dunno, Mape. Conventional storytelling and at least *some* level of recognizable continuity does seem to still matter, reading the reviews or even the young'uns comments on YouTube movie clips (to my considerable surprise, they say 'WTF" to a lot of the same things I do).

Have some folks' attention spans shrunk a bit? Sure. But I don't think the rules have changed as much as some would like to believe, mobile or no mobile, internet or no internet. If it had, Snyder's big action set-pieces alone would've carried the day in all those under-performing DC films, yes?

But they didn't. And there does seem to be a rebellion, at least in the US market, against empty-headed 'big' movies that have nothing to say and/or say it badly.

Most recent case in point: Have ya noticed The Mummy re-make pretty much bombing in the US, Tom Cruise or no Tom Cruise? Big effects budget or no big effects budget?

Audiences are such sticks-in-the-muds, in fact, that they collectively yawned at an innovative 'first-person-view' action film not long ago, Hardcore Henry. It basically gave the audience the point-of-view of a character in a video game, and the whole thing played out like an extended super-cool badass music video.

And yet, it made all of $9 million in the US, even less overseas, and was only saved by the fact it was low-budget. Go figure.

Breaking the rules of storytelling can work if you're, say, David Lynch, but if you're just some hack trying to cut corners, mmmm, not so much.

And ya know what? Maybe it's not so very hard to tell good stories well. That's worked well for almost a century in the movie biz. Maybe what's hard is certain folks at the top convincing themselves that only visuals and marketing matter... and then wondering why not enough ppl, at least in the US, want to board their latest 'rollercoaster ride'. Or with the whole 'Universe' concept, series of rollercoaster rides.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a movie-goer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast