Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wonder Woman

What the Hell is going on

Wonder Woman

I liked it!

Gal Gadot is perfect. Carefully blending innocence, naivete, vulnerability and Bad-Assery! The scene were Wonder Woman was charging down "No Mans Land" had the audience applauding and cheering. Alas, just like Deadpool, this is a love story through and through and the ending, while Scooby-Dooish in hindsight, was satisfying.

Although I'm not a big DC comics fan I am glad that DC has finally got its act together.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

take on me
    Have heard good things. Will see it.
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    1. did you see it in Imax3D?
    2. did WW have the invisible airplane?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Have heard good things. Will see it.

FWIW, The Guardians movie review department took it to task. FWIW YMMV TANSTAAFL NTTAWWT.

I believe the phrase was "weaponised smurfette".
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I believe the phrase was "weaponised smurfette".
    That's hawt.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Master debator.
    I hope to see it this weekend, looking forward to it.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I was hoping the movie would live up to the trailers which were excellent. Glad to hear. Hope to see it soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    No boobs... No care.....

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    No boobs... No care.....
    Lynda Carter. Giggity!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    No boobs... No care.....
    Someone please upload a pic of Lynda Carter the original WW. I'm watching hockey and have been drinking.

a real member's member
    is aquaman in it? i liked him. he had good hair and spoke to fish.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I had some problems with the Wonder Woman movie, but it still has a lot going for it.

I'm just not enough of an expert in Wonder Woman lore to know whether or not it was something that was in the original comic books, but it was a gutty move to have the locale be World War I. The locale is oh-so-wonderfully far from what we expect in superhero films.

Wonder Woman is likable, brave,modest and totally out of her element when she first hits the Western Front. She is far from the glib, wise-cracking superhero cliche we see in so many films. She's a rebel not a cop. She gets close to zero respect from her fellow Wonder Women. Her romance is sweetly old-fashioned. This Wonder Woman is the diametric opposite of Linda Carter's.

On the downside, the action just doesn't quite match the kineticism of the best superhero films. I wish the movie could've better understood the mindset of the Great War. WWI wasn't WWII. The Germans may have been the enemy, but in reality they were little different from the allies. They weren't Nazis. It was a war that everybody just fell into. To these eyes it would have been more heartening if Wonder Woman, through her sheer physical prowess and force of will, had forged peace upon the two sides instead.
    Last edited by Mapei; 06-03-2017 at 09:33 PM. Reason: polish
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

take on me
    No boobs... No care.....
    Sigh. Just stick to internet pr0n, then. Movies ain't for you.

take on me
    It had a great opening weekend. And it's the #1 opening for a female director (Patty Jenkins) of all-time.

Plus, with the critical acclaim and positive word of mouth it's getting, it should have 'legs' going forward. Unlike say the mediocre Batman vs Superman, which opened well but then quickly flamed out.

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Wins With Massive Opening Weekend | Variety

Cat 6
    I enjoyed it except the final battle was silly and too drawn out. Way better than anything dc has done before...

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Sigh. Just stick to internet pr0n, then. Movies ain't for you.
    The reputator wouldn't allow me to reputate or you would be reputated for that. Reputatin' ain't easy.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Fecal indicator
    movies about comic books...?

most have been lame, doubt this one is any different.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    movies about comic books...?

most have been lame, doubt this one is any different.
    I had the same attitude when I saw it (I had a free screening of the movie a couple days before it was released and it was impossible for me to say "no"). But ya know what? It was good.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Master debator.
    We just got back from seeing it in 3D. It was the only show time that worked for us this weekend, otherwise I would have preferred 2d actually. Surprisingly it was only us and one other guy in the theater, but it has been very nice out here, and the people were piling up for the 7:00 showing. It felt weird to be able to enjoy the movie with no cell phone screens flashing and people hawking down buttered popcorn like pigs in a trough. But I digress.

The wife surprised me because she is not a fan of comic book movies, but she thought it was excellent, maybe because of the women's lib component I dunno. I also enjoyed it, the end got a bit corny for me. I do believe at 2:21 in length they could have spent the time better explaining the storyline and eliminated some of the obligatory CGI stuff, but there are many crowds to please out there. I would have actually been okay with a 3 hour movie, if there was an intermission in the middle.

I liked it, I'll watch it again on DVD when it comes out. It helps to freshen up your memory with Batman vs Superman beforehand if you can.

N
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    On the downside, the action just doesn't quite match the kineticism of the best superhero films. I wish the movie could've better understood the mindset of the Great War. WWI wasn't WWII. The Germans may have been the enemy, but in reality they were little different from the allies. They weren't Nazis. It was a war that everybody just fell into. To these eyes it would have been more heartening if Wonder Woman, through her sheer physical prowess and force of will, had forged peace upon the two sides instead.
    I think using WWI was purposeful. To paraphrase Steve Trevor after WW killed the German general "some people are just evil". To WW the concept of good and evil is black and white. My 2 cents.

To nitpick a bit, WW crew seemed a little slap-dashed and unnecessary. I mean the sharp shooter didn't do any sharp shooting. Steve Trevor's final plan only made sense as a love story.

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    It helps to freshen up your memory with Batman vs Superman beforehand if you can.
    Please, God, no, don't make me remember.

I only ever saw Batman vs Superman on cable, and it still hurt me with it's never-ending mediocrity.

Thank goodness Wonder Woman seems to be cut from a different cloth.

Or put another way... "Yay. The DC Universe finally gets a movie that doesn't suck."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    so much testosterone in this tread... LOL!!!!

take on me
    so much testosterone in this tread... LOL!!!!
    I'm probably 100x more into boobies than you are. I just don't judge films exclusively by their presence of lack of, or confuse mainstream movies with pr0n.

You should stick (no pun intended) to stuff like Jurassic Pork, Good Will Humping, Shaving Ryan's Privates, and Assablanca (all real pr0n movies, btw).

You'll be much happier.

Master debator.
    I guess Baywatch is in theaters, I bet there are boobies in that flick. But this is the internet, you can specialize your desires so narrowly as it is I don't think you need a mainstream movie for boobie viewing. I bet you could find a category for buck-toothed midget elderly Asian women with their goats wearing only blue panties, if you searched hard enough. So I am told.

Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I bet you could find a category for buck-toothed midget elderly Asian women with their goats wearing only blue panties, if you searched hard enough. So I am told.
    What jew talkin' bout, Willis?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast