Thread: woof woof

Frog Whisperer

woof woof

so, I was riding today and I had two rather LARGE pit bulls chase me (with their beagle buddy) They showed NO signs of aggression at all, just chasing a moving object. One gave up and went home but the bigger one (say 100 pounds ?), a BEAUTIFUL brindle kept loping along with me, trying to sniff my leg while i was pedaling. Well, that was a recipe for disaster plus he was getting pretty far from home and there was some traffic, so I turned around and rode back to his house, No owners anywhere. I told him to go home and he went back in his yard. I told him to sit and stay and he did as he was told. I really hate to see a dog running on the road. BTW....when a 100 pound dog jumps up on you to say high while you are straddling a bike, it is pretty scary.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

What the what???
    Glad you and the pooch are both okay. It is scary. The sad thing is that if the owner doesn't step up, it will inevitably end badly either for another cyclist, or for the dog being hit by a passing car.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

Frog Whisperer
    He was a really nice dog, I should go back and kidnap him. For his own good!

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

a real member's member
    aww... i like that story!

B^)

Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Kidnap sounds a bit harsh but if a stray followed you as you slowly rode all the way home & it had no tags and looked hungry, who could blame a humanitarian for adopting it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    What wrong with you TOG???

Aren't you supposed to be scared of dogs?

RoadBikeReview Member
    On a related note, one of my charity rides out in the country passed a house with a dog that would run out and chase each group of cyclist. I was able to see this from quite a ways back; the dog would chase each group, return home and chase the next, which each duration being shorter and shorter. Eventually he just sat on the driveway and barked at each group by the time I arrived

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    so, I was riding today and I had two rather LARGE pit bulls chase me (with their beagle buddy) They showed NO signs of aggression at all, just chasing a moving object. One gave up and went home but the bigger one (say 100 pounds ?), a BEAUTIFUL brindle kept loping along with me, trying to sniff my leg while i was pedaling. Well, that was a recipe for disaster plus he was getting pretty far from home and there was some traffic, so I turned around and rode back to his house, No owners anywhere. I told him to go home and he went back in his yard. I told him to sit and stay and he did as he was told. I really hate to see a dog running on the road. BTW....when a 100 pound dog jumps up on you to say high while you are straddling a bike, it is pretty scary.
    My best friend is a pit bull mix. She's one of those tough ones that would sniff, lick, or hug you too death. Lol.
    Even though she's very gentle, I go to great lengths to make sure that she never gets loose, because I live in the ghetto, and most people around here view pit bulls as mean aggressive killers.
    In the 4 years that she's been with me, she's only gotten loose one time when I was moving from the house next door to the house I'm in now. I was very busy that day making phone calls looking for help moving, and trying to pack and coordinate. With all the commotion going on, I accidentally left the gate open, and Rusty decided to go for a little adventure thru the neighborhood. Luckily my neighbor is a good guy like you, and he got ahold of her before she got shot, maced, or run over.

Anyways, TouchOGrey you seem like a good man, Rusty and I say, thank you sir!

Here's a few pics of my "vicious" best friend. Sorry about my ugly mug in the one pic, but it's one of my favorites.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by jason124 View Post
    On a related note, one of my charity rides out in the country passed a house with a dog that would run out and chase each group of cyclist. I was able to see this from quite a ways back; the dog would chase each group, return home and chase the next, which each duration being shorter and shorter. Eventually he just sat on the driveway and barked at each group by the time I arrived
    kinda the same way i react on a ride and people passing me