Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    I can't believe this person feels it's ok to scold adults who are paying her as if they were children. Does this sound normal?
    You didn't think through this, remember you live in Bozangeles. I am in the fart in class camp.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Someone should open a naked twister studio that serves cheap alcohol to drive these stuffy yoga joints out of business.
    Genius!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    I sweat like a water fountain, even when I'm in an air conditioned gym.
    Have you tried taking some salt or salt pill? It's said to reduce the amount of sweat.

Non non normal
    Someone should open a naked twister studio that serves cheap alcohol to drive these stuffy yoga joints out of business.
    There is a microbrewery in town that does beer yoga on Sunday morning. They do yoga and then drink beer. I don't think it is a good idea, but it has to beat some of the other trends like goat yoga and laughing yoga. Those two, make hot yoga seem more than awesome. I have a wacked out cousin that is a laughing yoga instructor. Look it up on youtube.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Have you tried taking some salt or salt pill? It's said to reduce the amount of sweat.
    No, I'm not bothered by how much I sweat.

You bring up an interesting point though. My wife and I like to cook and as a result we eat very little processed food. It may be the case that I get less salt in my diet than most. Maybe I'll play around with that a bit.

Proud luddite
    Damn, sweating your ass off in 105 degrees sounds miserable. We have a name for that here in Arizona...it’s called “going outside “.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    ...it’s called “going outside “.
    Which is why I won't be joining my wife on her trip to visit my FIL in Tucson this April.

Actually, that's just part of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    An appropriate response to this lady would have been...

"You seem to be really stressed. Have you considered Yoga to relieve some tension?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    There is a microbrewery in town that does beer yoga on Sunday morning. They do yoga and then drink beer. I don't think it is a good idea, but it has to beat some of the other trends like goat yoga and laughing yoga. Those two, make hot yoga seem more than awesome. I have a wacked out cousin that is a laughing yoga instructor. Look it up on youtube.
    I watched a laughter yoga video. I thought it was an SNL skit. That's one of the most stupid things I've ever seen. I often wonder why people need a gimic to get them to do yoga. Just do freekin' yoga.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Damn, sweating your ass off in 105 degrees sounds miserable. We have a name for that here in Arizona...it’s called “going outside “.
    Yeah, but it's a dry heat. 105° and HUMID is like August in Houston!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Yeah, but it's a dry heat. 105° and HUMID is like August in Houston!
    "But it's a dry heat."

https://youtu.be/qcAq6fRADzI?t=3m37s
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    I often wonder why people need a gimic to get them to do yoga.
    I often wonder why people do yoga.

Just to save people a little typing time, I already know all of the reasons people are going to give for doing yoga. None of them are enough to get me to do it. Well, one of them is theoretically enough to get me to do it but I'd like to think I'm not the sort of person who would take yoga classes just to spectate women in yoga pants. I can do that at the mall. Again, theoretically... there are no malls within 5 hours of where I live. Come to think of it, I don't think there are any yoga classes either.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

half-fast
    Damn, and I just took a new job.

Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    I watched a laughter yoga video. I thought it was an SNL skit. That's one of the most stupid things I've ever seen. I often wonder why people need a gimic to get them to do yoga. Just do freekin' yoga.
    Concord pike 202?

Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post

Just to save people a little typing time, I already know all of the reasons people are going to give for doing yoga. None of them are enough to get me to do it. Well, one of them is theoretically enough to get me to do it but I'd like to think I'm not the sort of person who would take yoga classes just to spectate women in yoga pants. I can do that at the mall. Again, theoretically... there are no malls within 5 hours of where I live. Come to think of it, I don't think there are any yoga classes either.
    Haw

Haw.

A good reason, though. Just sayin.

Not Banned

as a cyclist yoga provides flexibility and core strength (as does Pilates) a strong core comes in handy late in a race, because when the core goes, so does the engine (legs). Cyclists have some of the tightest hamstrings known, being able to stretch them means more/better riding and better recovery
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    as a cyclist yoga provides flexibility and core strength (as does Pilates) a strong core comes in handy late in a race, because when the core goes, so does the engine (legs). Cyclists have some of the tightest hamstrings known, being able to stretch them means more/better riding and better recovery
    As I said, I already actually know the reasons people do it. I understand the benefits, I just have no interest in doing yoga myself. I don't race, I ride for fun and exercise. Where I live, on certain routes, I can ride for as long as I want without seeing any signs of civilization other than a rare passing car so it's a nice mind-clearing escape as well. I ride regularly for those reasons. Beyond that, I'm really not all that serious about it.
    - 10ae1203

Not Banned
    As I said, I already actually know the reasons people do it. I understand the benefits, I just have no interest in doing yoga myself. I don't race, I ride for fun and exercise. Where I live, on certain routes, I can ride for as long as I want without seeing any signs of civilization other than a rare passing car so it's a nice mind-clearing escape as well. I ride regularly for those reasons. Beyond that, I'm really not all that serious about it.
    I haven't raced much lately. The last big race I did was a four man team 24hr MTB race. Having a stronger core definitely helped as the race wore on.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    I do Yoga to fill in where road biking can't achieve fitness. But my Yoga is called Mountain Biking. You may think this is a joke but it honestly has cured any and all back/shoulder ailments for me. Also very meditative and chill.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Wait a second here...Are we talking hot yoga or bikram yoga? Bikram is 105 degrees or higher, like a sauna or something, and is a fairly intense practice. Hot yoga is "only" 85 to 90 degrees and typically more relaxed.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    I haven't raced much lately. The last big race I did was a four man team 24hr MTB race. Having a stronger core definitely helped as the race wore on.
    I imagine it would. I've never done a ride longer than 6 hours. It was completely non-competitive and I was still dragging my arse by the end of it.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Wait a second here...Are we talking hot yoga or bikram yoga? Bikram is 105 degrees or higher, like a sauna or something, and is a fairly intense practice. Hot yoga is "only" 85 to 90 degrees and typically more relaxed.
    I'm not sure of the temperature but it sure did feel like a sauna.

To LWP, as far as "spectating" as a reason to do yoga... I have a fairly opinionated coworker who assumes that's why most people do yoga. As I told him, in my very limited experience, it's actually very difficult to look at anything other than whatever stationary thing you're using as a reference point to maintain balance. For me it was a spot on the floor or wall. I imagine "upward dog" could be a good gawking position as long as there's an appropriate gawkee directly in front of you - seems to be a 33% chance of that happening.

I'm only interested in it as a way to improve flexibility and balance and as something else to do with my wife during the winter. I'm an aggressive snowboarder in my mid-40s with a history of muscle tightness/imbalance. Staying flexible is pretty important for me.

My "spiritual side" doesn't need any work.
    Last edited by dir-t; 01-23-2018 at 09:43 AM.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I'm not sure of the temperature but it sure did feel like a sauna.

To LWP, as far as "spectating" as a reason to do yoga... I have a fairly opinionated coworker who assumes that's why most people do yoga. As I told him, in my very limited experience, it's actually very difficult to look at anything other than whatever stationary thing you're using as a reference point to maintain balance. For me it was a spot on the floor or wall. I imagine "upward dog" could be a good gawking position as long as there's an appropriate gawkee directly in front of you - seems to be a 33% chance of that happening.

I'm only interested in it as a way to improve flexibility and balance and as something else to do with my wife during the winter. My "spiritual side" doesn't need any work.
    We were doing outdoor yoga in an intro class, and this very nice looking young lady was in front of me wearing loose, short shorts.

I'm not a gynecologist, but I got a look . As you mentioned, you don't *try* to see stuff like that, but sometimes you need to look around to see what the heck you're supposed to be doing in a given pose.

There's a reason that yoga pants are tight and long...
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    We were doing outdoor yoga in an intro class, and this very nice looking young lady was in front of me wearing loose, short shorts.

I'm not a gynecologist, but I got a look . As you mentioned, you don't *try* to see stuff like that, but sometimes you need to look around to see what the heck you're supposed to be doing in a given pose.

There's a reason that yoga pants are tight and long...
    I had a similar experience in a pilates class that I took - it was my wife wearing the baggy shorts. Me, "Uh, babe. You really need different pants for this". Her, "oh, sh--. Thanks".

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    To LWP, as far as "spectating" as a reason to do yoga... I have a fairly opinionated coworker who assumes that's why most people do yoga.
    That was meant to be a joke. While I can appreciate the site of a fit woman in yoga pants, I have no interest in taking a yoga class as a spectator sport. I just don't have any interest in taking one for any other reason either. But it wasn't meant to be insulting to those who do. I'm not interested in yoga. I don't like most of the music being suggested in the music for old guys thread. I don't drive a Subaru, own a Corgi or frequently eat beets. Cycling is something I do, not something I live. My clown-benching skills aren't what they used to be either. But when things are tough for one of us and the jokes and disagreements need to be set aside, I wouldn't trade my fellow moreons for any other group of internet people (or for a large percentage of non-internet people, for that matter). Even the ones who do yoga...
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I have no interest in taking a yoga class as a spectator sport.
    I did and I was sorely disappointed in how it turned out

No worries, I didn't take offense at anything you said but I was surprised at the preconception that my coworker had and how adamantly he held to it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12