Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    waterproof*

"You donít need to go out this morning saying that Martin Luther King is a saint.

Oh, no.
    I want you to know this morning that Iím a sinner like all of Godís children. But I want to be a good man.
    And I want to hear a voice saying to me one day, "I take you in and I bless you, because you try. It is well that it was within thine heart."

Whatís in your heart this morning? You get your heart right..."

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.
    at Ebenezer Baptist Church, Atlanta, Georgia, 3 March 1968.

.... I can't listen to this clip without crying. RIP Dr. King. You were a good man.
    Last edited by Creakyknees; 01-16-2012 at 05:43 AM.
    * not actually a Rock Star

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    EMI are shown as blocking the video. No can see.
    let's try that again...
    Last edited by Creakyknees; 01-16-2012 at 05:44 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    EMI are shown as blocking the video. No can see.
    We just donít realize the most significant moments of our lives when theyíre happening
    Back then I thought ďwell there'll be other daysĒ
    I didnít realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

waterproof*
    ok try it now

No hero that's understood
    Beautiful.

Thanks Creaky for reminding us what the man was about.
    Often wrong, never in doubt

half-fast
    here is a transcription. I don't watch movies on the work computer.

King Papers

thanks, creaky. fantastic.

Fierce Pancake
    Thanks Creaky, it's beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Poast of the Dayô.

is super good looking.
    Its not often that a star can shine so bright that it causes the stars around it to actually be more visible.

waterproof*
    So, the BMI Googlebots have slapped a copyright claim on the video that I uploaded.

I have entered a dispute via YouTube, claiming Fair Use, as it's only a few sentences.

The entire sermon is much longer - so in your opinion, is my snip of 1:45 or so Fair Use?

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    So, the BMI Googlebots have slapped a copyright claim on the video that I uploaded.

I have entered a dispute via YouTube, claiming Fair Use, as it's only a few sentences.

The entire sermon is much longer - so in your opinion, is my snip of 1:45 or so Fair Use?
    Seems to be working now.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Fred the Clydesdale
    Thanks Creaky! - I think MLK was a great man.

By the way, it isn't how good we are that determines whether or not we are heaven bound. It is in whom you trust. I thank God that my place in God's eyes is not dependent upon how good I am. I need grace as much or more than anybody. But it is by faith that grace is obtained.

Fierce Pancake
    The principle of having to try to improve is an important one though, surely? no point just saying "I believe" and then going on a drinking, whoring and killing spree. "Meh, I believe." Belief without actions is empty words. Where's your heart at?
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Poast of the Dayô.

Fred the Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by qatarbhoy View Post
    The principle of having to try to improve is an important one though, surely? no point just saying "I believe" and then going on a drinking, whoring and killing spree. "Meh, I believe." Belief without actions is empty words. Where's your heart at?
    Yes, you are correct! But the reason to work on getting better is not to earn God's love, but as an extension of the love we have for Him. We do it out of love, not fear. The work of sanctification is a continuous process, even though God's grace sanctifies us instantly when we are born again. This may sound stupid, but we are sanctified by faith in Christ and through that faith, God gives us grace. Then we go through the sanctification process for the rest of our lives. The sanctification process includes renewing our minds in the knowledge and love of God. Right actions follow the renewal process.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rider9 View Post
    God's grace sanctifies us instantly when we are born again.
    There's grace (from God, not by us), then justification, then sanctification. I believe that you are referring to Justification in this quote.

Depending on a person's theological view's, it can be argued (and has been!) is grace obtained by faith, or is faith obtained by grace. I subscribe to the reformed view that faith is obtained by grace; i.e. I didn't chose it.

MLK was a great man that truly lived out the radical teachings of Jesus such as love your enemy, love your neighbor, help the least of these, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For a guy that "truly lived out the radical teaching of Jesus," he didn't seem to think adultery was a big deal.

Beyond that though, he accomplished a great deal, and the world is a better place for his work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    For a guy that "truly lived out the radical teaching of Jesus," he didn't seem to think adultery was a big deal.

Beyond that though, he accomplished a great deal, and the world is a better place for his work.
    Yeah. I have a hard time reconciling the adultery. Goes to show that no one should be put too high on a pedestal. Maybe he was the modern day King David in that regard.

waterproof*

That's part of why that speech is so poignant. I think he's acknowledging his sins, tacitly, indirectly, to his home congregation (and don't think there weren't rumors at the time).

And, I think he did think it was a big deal. Which reinforces your second point - that's what he was saying that day at Ebenezer.

atmo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's hard for me to hear all about what a "great man" he was, when he wasn't really- just great at his mission. HE got that, others still repeat it.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Whe is it that our heros can't also be failible human beings at the same time?

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

RoadBikeReview Member

Of course they can be, most of us have an issue with the hypocrites. A preachy pastor has a lot of nerve especially.

If he can't be faithful, why does he get married then go around telling others to be faithful?

waterproof*

If he can't be faithful, why does he get married then go around telling others to be faithful?
    Because, he's a sinner, like all of Godís children

RoadBikeReview Member
    Without the whole pastor and marriage bizness, he would've been even better- no hypocracy that way.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Without the whole pastor and marriage bizness, he would've been even better- no hypocracy that way.
    We are all hypocrites........some are just more public.

IMO

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Steaming piles of opinion

Of course they can be, most of us have an issue with the hypocrites. A preachy pastor has a lot of nerve especially.

Funny, but I don't have a problem here. Sure, better that he wasn't stepping out, but the hypocrisy thing has a nuance.

First, his recognized greatness has nothing to do with that particular bit of morality, so I can compartmentalize it - Or as Len says, heros don't have to be perfect.

As for the in-the-pulpit 'hypocrisy', I'm not sure it's there - are you? Certainly, he called his flock to be better people - and he called on himself to be, too. While he didn't spray it out there - such wasn't the way at the time - he acknowledged his shortcomings freely. And he certainly wasn't a fire-and-brimstone 'y'all cheaters are goin' to hell' in the fashion of our modern cheating televangelists.

So, not to excuse the behavior, but I don't really see the hypocrisy. It turns out that not all coaches can run faster than the athletes they coach, either. And in a professional sense, it's very much the same thing.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Of course he did great things, no doubt about that.

But when you preach the teachings of Jesus and build a rep as a "man of God," I would expect that you would practice what you preach. Isn't that the very definition of "hypocracy," when you don't?

Or does being a preacher automatically temper the sins? What if he were an atheist? Somehow I think people would be all over his cheating and womanizing if that were the case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast