Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Windrider (Stubborn)

You don't always get what you expect.

So. when is a kidney stone a good thing to have?

When it leads the detection of something earlier than it would have been.

The MD last night was pretty certain my pain was from a kidney stone so she ordered a CT scan this morning to verify. meantime. I went home, loaded up w vicodin & fluids. and tried to get thru the night. The pain got excruciating (picture curled up on the floor unable to move)......finally around 5 I got up, went to the bathroom, and noticed that the pain was gone......I figure, I passed it and didn't realize it.
    So, still worried about my stomach, I went for the CT scan. Imagine my surprise when after the MD called to tell me the abdomen was totally clear he said..."But there is something else."

"You have a ping pong sized mass in your lower left lung...right at the apex of your pain."

Stunned isn't a strong enough word.

So today has been about; seeing my GP and trying to understand the possibilities, lining up a pulmonology MD to get a Biopsy done and hardest of all, communicating this to my kids and loved one's. Working hard to be honest knowing this one hurt.

I'm drained. Hoping for the biopsy results ASAP. You all have been a great support, I'll keep you posted.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Frog Whisperer
    Len, thanks for posting this over here, there are people that aren't on Facebook. AND......this effing sucks.......sucks, sucks..... I hope it's REALLY just a ping pong ball!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

Master debator.
    I'm sure you'll be nervous and anxious awaiting results. Thank goodness for early detection, knowing now is better than finding out much later. Keep us informed, most of us have been through something similar and we know how bad it must suck. Last year my brothers life was saved by a similar circumstance, keep up the faith.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Misfit Toy
    Len, I am sorry to read this. I'll keep you in my thoughts, and hope it turns out to be a non-event.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I'm praying for you. I've got every finger and toe crossed.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So sorry to hear. Not sure my words will help but I had stone and it wouldn't pass so I had scans. They found spots on my liver so things went from ouch to oh sH*t, it was a long 4 days for them to rule out the spots. Hoping you have a similar positive turn and hope even more no 4 day wait

Non non normal
    Len,

Sorry to hear the bad news. I will be praying for you and your family.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Always changing.....
    Saying that this is really awful just does not cover it well.

For the past few years I have adopted an old expression; "Live for today". Even had it tattooed on my wrist to remind me everyday, throughout the day. Find those moments in everyday that are positive or to look forward to and put aside all those negative moments you encounter each day. Me, just trying to be optimistic since you only get today. Doesn't always work for me either. For me, I haven't come out of the closet either and my struggle is sometimes hard. Maybe one day, I will scream it out.

From all your posts on here, you probably realize all this. Truly hope for the best end result for you; fingers crossed.

RoadBikeReview Member

Len,
    That sucks. Hope the biopsy is better news. In the meantime there's a bunch of folks here on your side.

Travels by Map
    Best wishes, Len. Hopefully it is on the less serious side of all the possibilities.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    We all wish a good outcome for you. It's great that it was discovered early, which will give them the very best opportunity to make that happen. Not stealing from your trials, yet want to relate a similar early discovery with me 2.5 years ago that has turned out very well. Went to the doc to check on a small cyst I had on my right ankle. I hadn't been to a dr. in years and he said, " has anyone talked with you about a heart murmur"? I said not that I could recall. He scheduled a visit with a cardiologist for me. Echo cardiogram 1st........scheduled cyst extraction cancelled......................... cardiologist said, "how long have you had symptoms?" I said, "what symptoms?" He said "shortness of breath etc.". I said I hadn't been riding as much and thought I was just a bit out of shape for the past 1.5 years. He got bug-eyed at that point and said, "I'm getting you in next week for surgery because normally with issue like you are having with your aortic valve, most people don't last beyond 90 days. I had an angiogram a few days later to verify the full extent of the condition prior to the big surgery at which point they ask me to stay for fear of me keeling over at any moment ........or perhaps fear of not collecting from the insurance company for the procedure I needed but would not get had I gone bye bye! Needless to say.............new bovine aortic valve put in, ICU for a couple of days, into my own cardiac suite 7:00PM 12/24/2010 and celebrated Christmas Eve alone that night but never felt better. All is well......................these guys are a special breed that walk this earth and do things I would have never known. I now know what the doctors can do and feel they will do the same for you Len. All the best.

You Phillip mah census
    Really sorry to hear this Len, and to hear about your kidney stone agony. Hoping the results are nothing to worry about. Best wishes to you and your family.
    There ain't no sanity clause... (Chico Marx)

I accidentally..a burrito. (Old Fuji)

Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times... (Phil Oakey)

Windrider (Stubborn)

Thank you all. Sincerely.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I'm really sad to hear this, and I hope you get what you want, not what you expect!

Stubborn is good!

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Really sorry.

Hope all is well in the end.
    Isnotimpressedbystoreboughtplasticbikes

hold my beer n watch this

Hang tough!
    So no matter who you are, what you look like, or how far you think you are from your goal — kit up and get started. Your friends are out there, waiting for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Drink lots and lots of water and keep trying to pee it out.

Dammit, if only.....

Eddy 53:11
    See it through!
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

QED
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J View Post
    So today has been about; seeing my GP and trying to understand the possibilities, lining up a pulmonology MD to get a Biopsy done and hardest of all, communicating this to my kids and loved one's. Working hard to be honest knowing this one hurt.
    What today has been about...Len for me it has been about you. You have been my friend and mentor for over a year. None of these people understand but I want to clarify for them. LenJ is the first person who ever publicly stood up for me. It was last spring about this time in the Penn State thread. It changed my life and he has had my loyalty ever since.

I am a different person because of you Len. I am strong, confident, self-reliant. You have accepted me, invited me to your home, talked to me on the phone (usually when I am freaking out) and you have mirrored for me the person that I want to be.

So today has been about you. I have done a lot of thinking of how I can support you. I have thought of all you have taught me of riding a bike, of life, of relationships and of courage. I have realized that there are very few loungers you haven't touched in some way. And want you know that we are here for you. I am here for you. In whatever capacity you need me to be.

Always.

Pencil of death
    Oct 2012
    Sending you good thoughts. I hope everything is alright.
    Ride more, whine less - HTFU.

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

"Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

Ignore List: AM999

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    Damn.

Slightly Opinionated
    As I said in the other joint, you and Ella are both in my thoughts. I'm hoping this turns out to be benign and simple to resolve, especially after what you've both been through previously.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

won't you be my neighbor?
    Holy sh!t... that sucks, Len.

Just went through something similar with my Mom, who was diagnosed with lung cancer. Turned out to be early-stage, and easily treatable.

I hope you and your family catch a break as well.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

xxl: Your post is so stupid, if stupid had a cognitively-impaired relative, it would be your post.

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

AM999: Romney 320 Electoral votes, Obama 218. Colorado profs' prediction model, 100% accurate since 1980.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day, it blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Len-

Here's hoping that you pass through this easily - we're pulling for you. I've never met you, other than through here, but have learned a lot from you and how you approach things, and really appreciate all you've done and shared here. Stay strong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wishing you all the best for good news....glad they found it!
    Bill

“You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing...We can make the best or the worst of it."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast