Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by nelzbikes View Post
    This is my Daddy Wagon. The plan is to convert to 5.0 5 spd mustang powertrain along with Cobra mustang brakes & suspension.
    You need to keep the wheel covers. Maybe switch to wider tires but keep the covers. Use a stock exhaust and muffler but put in electric cutouts. I love sleepers.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy View Post
    You need to keep the wheel covers. Maybe switch to wider tires but keep the covers. Use a stock exhaust and muffler but put in electric cutouts. I love sleepers.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

HELL ON WHEELS
    seeing a lot of cool projects and weekend cars, this was a good idea.
    Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion.

feh
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    What's the Matter with Kansas?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I feel you on BMW and Porsche. I'm thinking about starting a garage build in a couple of months and I'd love to do a Porsche, but just getting a roller to sit in the garage is more $$$ than I've got right now.

The Miata isn't a bad choice, especially with Spec Miata for the track.

Do take a look into Spec e30. Doing an e30 will cost more than a Miata for sure, but will also be less costly than a Porsche. I'm looking at doing one, and hoping to pick one up in running condition for around $2k.
    Cannondale Scalpel 1
    Haro Ally SS 29er

I need a road bike!

Fecal indicator
    1968 SS Camaro. 4-spd Muncie M-22, aluminum head 427 ci L-88, 12:1 pistons, 4.11 posi rear.

well, I don't actually own it, but that's what I'd build if I ever got back into project cars.

my 30-ish hottie neighbor just bought a '67 Camaro 350...she's tinkering with things and has plans to do a mild resto on it. helped her rebuild the Holley 650 carb recently...

it's actually more fun to work on her car than to go thru the hassle of doing one of my own.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

half-fast
    i had a miata for a few years. lotta fun, mostly easy to work on, easy to find parts. If you don't want to go all out with a spec miata, track days and autocross might scratch that itch.

i was just happy to ride around in it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    This is my Daddy Wagon. The plan is to convert to 5.0 5 spd mustang powertrain along with Cobra mustang brakes & suspension.
    I'd love to see that, with the woodgrain. What motor is in it now? I know some came with a 302 to begin with, and extra power might be a set of heads away plus whatever fuel upgrades. Big fan of the 302 myself, have 256,000 miles on the one in my truck and it runs like new.

your text here
    one of The Old Mans favorite stories is about how Harrah used to drive aroun tahoe with a sleeper wagon and freak out the speedheads.

I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    Just about ready to put this body back on the chassis. Been working on it since 2006. It's been a long road but I've finally started to reassemble the car. I hope to have it drivable by this summer. It's going to be Garnet Red with a black top and interior.

I've upgraded the suspension with adjustable rear upper control arms, corrected the geometry of the front suspension with a kit from SC&C, new crate 350 (330 hp, 410 lb/ft), close ratio steering, Pontiac nodular 3.55 limited slip rear, 4 speed auto with overdrive, etc etc. Should be a very fun
    Fun!

Very nice--love the home-made chassis dolly too.
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Fun!

Very nice--love the home-made chassis dolly too.
    It was very simple to make. Just 4 4x4s and 16 carriage bolts. The wheels I picked up at a flea market in Sacramento for $8 and the 4xs were left over from the shed I tore down to build the garage at the old house.

The nice part about it is with the way the body is balanced it's very easy to put up on a stack of cinder blocks. I can lift the front very easily and slip two blocks on each side under the front without the back touching the ground, then use the shop crane to lift the back to slip four under and that makes all but the areas where the 4x4 crosses under the body very accessible. I can lift the back without the crane but I can't hold it and get the blocks under it at the same time.

Hopefully I'll get a nice dry day this week for a bit of metalwork on the front and coating the underside with a urethane bed liner, then it will be ready to put on the chassis. I've got all I need to finish the chassis except for the rear brakes and the 18" wheels (needed to clear the 14" rotors on the C5 brake kit).

I think I'm going to go with either a set of these:

or these (the 18" version, not the 20 on this car) if I can get them with the proper back spacing:

I'd love a chrome smoothie but those are quite spendy in the 18" version.

I'm looking for something that you don't see every day. Everyone has Boss 338s or look alike 5-spoke wheels these days.

I forgot to mention, I'm putting in an Eibach Pro-Kit (springs) which should give it a stance similar to this:

Last edited by Andy69; 01-10-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    1998 SVT Cobra - Supercharged, full suspension, tires, etc.

Matnlely Dregaend
    I love my 06 Evolution... in the Summer. It's ok with Winter tires in the snow but in the Summer going around turns at ludicrous speeds makes me giddy... It's also relatively fast in a straight line.

“Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

Darling of The Lounge
    I'm still working on my 1972 Datsun 240Z. At least my 1993 Toyota MR2 is road worthy and keeping it company in the garage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Do it!

My current toy is a 1966 Satellite. Currently looking add a 2008 Bullitt to the party

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008

Kinda stopped going to the track. It gets so incredibly expensive, even for fun days on normal tires.

Next project is going to be a shifter kart. They're so drastically cheaper to run at the track, and so fast.

BCP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Mine is an 89 Mustang - fun car and I can put the bike in the back.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post

Kinda stopped going to the track. It gets so incredibly expensive, even for fun days on normal tires.

Next project is going to be a shifter kart. They're so drastically cheaper to run at the track, and so fast.
    My aunt is retiring from racing this year (actually I think her last race was in November) at age 69. I've already suggested she sell me her CRX

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ohvrolla View Post
    I'd love to see that, with the woodgrain. What motor is in it now? I know some came with a 302 to begin with, and extra power might be a set of heads away plus whatever fuel upgrades. Big fan of the 302 myself, have 256,000 miles on the one in my truck and it runs like new.
    It comes with a 3.8l v-6. No v-8 option for this year wagon. But the good news is everything from a fox chassis mustang is a bolt-on affair. No real fabrication required. I can pretty much do whatever I would've done to a 5.0 mustang from the 80's; that is, once the conversion is done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    The 2 projects together.

corning my own beef
    my project car isn't really my project car yet... because it's still 700mi away.

Car in pic is not mine ... mine is identical model, color, etc. but not restored.

Your Weekend Car or Project Car-merc.jpg

my grandfather bought his Merc 4-dr brand new in 1950, I rode in it many times as a kid. It's been mine since 1982. But I don't have a place to put it, insufficient $ to restore it correctly, so it sits in a barn under a tarp awaiting the day I can pay someone to do it right...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

HELL ON WHEELS
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    I love my 06 Evolution... in the Summer. It's ok with Winter tires in the snow but in the Summer going around turns at ludicrous speeds makes me giddy... It's also relatively fast in a straight line.

At what rpm does the turbo start to spool up? and here's my suggestion for winter tires
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    My wrench car is a '83 Alfa Romeo GTV6. I've done a lot to it and have many more projects on the list. I try to limit the amount of money I put into it. Put maybe 2500 miles a year on it.

HELL ON WHEELS

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    my project car isn't really my project car yet... because it's still 700mi away.

Car in pic is not mine ... mine is identical model, color, etc. but not restored.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	merc.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	248963

my grandfather bought his Merc 4-dr brand new in 1950, I rode in it many times as a kid. It's been mine since 1982. But I don't have a place to put it, insufficient $ to restore it correctly, so it sits in a barn under a tarp awaiting the day I can pay someone to do it right...
    If you have a low budget you can always go the rat rod route.

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex_BMC View Post
    If you have a low budget you can always go the rat rod route.
    He probably doesn't want to ruin a perfectly good car.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast