Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    there are "starters" and there are "finishers".
    don't start unless you're a finisher. that's my only advice.

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    What's the trick to convincing the wife to let me buy a 3rd car meant only for summers/weekends? I really want to buy this, drop in an LS1, turbocharge it, and maybe even convert it to stickshift:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A wheelist
    My 2004 C5 Vette -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Weekend Car or Project Car-04vette15-sm.jpg  
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    My 2004 C5 Vette -
    You have good taste in cars. Do you have the glass top as well as the red one?

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy View Post
    He probably doesn't want to ruin a perfectly good car.
    yeah, that.

My grandad gave me that car when I was in high school, and even then I had enough sense to resist trying to "hotrod it". It didn't need lots and lots of work at the time, but that was 30 yrs ago. It's been in storage ever since, I want to be able to write someone a big check and have them totally restore it. Not sure how many zeros are going to be on that price tag, but it'll get done one day.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro View Post
    What's the trick to convincing the wife to let me buy a 3rd car meant only for summers/weekends? I really want to buy this, drop in an LS1, turbocharge it, and maybe even convert it to stickshift:
    just buy it.

easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by nodima View Post
    You have good taste in cars. Do you have the glass top as well as the red one?
    Thanks! Nope on the glass top. Just two choices - red top or no top. I almost never have the top on.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks! Nope on the glass top. Just two choices - red top or no top. I almost never have the top on.
    Not really much of a choice! I almost never drive with the top on, other than when I am drying the car after a wash.

A wheelist
    Not really much of a choice! I almost never drive with the top on, other than when I am drying the car after a wash.
    I I have to put a roof on I'll take my other car.

Oh by the way - nice color car you got there nodima. To me, all sports cars should be red. My 2004 has 19,000 kilometers on it. (11,800 miles?). It gets put away for 6 months every winter.

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    yeah, that.

My grandad gave me that car when I was in high school, and even then I had enough sense to resist trying to "hotrod it". It didn't need lots and lots of work at the time, but that was 30 yrs ago. It's been in storage ever since, I want to be able to write someone a big check and have them totally restore it. Not sure how many zeros are going to be on that price tag, but it'll get done one day.
    Used to know the best frame-off restoration shop owner in my old hometown.

He always used to say his best customers were the middle-aged guys who wanted to restore the car they dreamed about having when they were young and couldn't afford, or the car that belonged to dad/grandad or whomever. They had the money to afford him.

There will be few zeros after the number, but after reading Excellence (Porsche) magazine and following a few of their restos--it really takes a lot of ability and a wide range of skills to properly restore a car.

A few people swap their "best" skill for someone else's best skill--body work for electrics or whatever--which helps, since it is the rare individual who has the full range of skills to do a complete resto.

My "plan" will be to buy something pretty current, baseline it, and keep it running,

And enjoy driving it.
    Tolerance is a very dull virtue. It is boring. Unlike love, it has always had a bad press. It is negative. It merely means putting up with people, being able to stand things.
    E. M. Forster

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I I have to put a roof on I'll take my other car.

Oh by the way - nice color car you got there nodima. To me, all sports cars should be red. My 2004 has 19,000 kilometers on it. (11,800 miles?). It gets put away for 6 months every winter.
    All Corvettes are red. The others are just mistakes.

Mine is in storage also, I have an app on my iphone that counts the days until 4/1 which is my estimate of when I'll drive her again, weather permitting. It is like the first drive all over again, every spring.

Shut Up And Ride!
    My weekend car now is a '95 Miata. It used to be my daily driver until I got a proper bike hauler (not a Subaru).

This picture was taken a few weeks after I got it and a fellow Maita club member helped me detail it. Shortly after that, I got t-boned and had it repaired. It's now my toy car until it dies.

The only mods I've done to it are Tkico Illumina 5 adustable shocks, Fat Cat upper shock mounts to lower it about 1/2-3/4". Future plans include a roll bar, stiffer sway bars, new wheels, and maybe a new exhaust.

Love that car...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Weekend Car or Project Car-225360_6501638345_767328345_226917_337_n.jpg  

donuts?
    i ALMOST bought a 1988 VW GTI 16v for the royal sum of $2500.00. the engine was rebuilt and it had a solid interior. i decided that i didn't need it but man, that would have been fun...

-Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

A wheelist
    All Corvettes are red.
    That sounds like a good title for a book to me

Amazon.com: All Corvettes Are Red (9780671685010): James Schefter: Books

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Very enjoyable read if you've not already done so, I recommend it. The C5 was the car that was almost not made.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    My 1966 mustang convertible. Ive had the car since 1986.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Here's the next project, after the vert is finished. To say it's a bit rough would be a slight understatement:

Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

al.
    RoadBike n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by bocksta View Post
    My 1966 mustang convertible. Ive had the car since 1986.

Beautiful. My first car was a 66 Mustang. I wish I still had that car.
    IHNIWID

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by al. View Post
    Beautiful. My first car was a 66 Mustang. I wish I still had that car.
    My first one was a '65 Mustang.

A wheelist
    OMG, the car of my dreams, in the 1960's, when I lived in the UK and was a mechanic was an AH 3000. To me it was the ultimate with a Sunbeam Tiger a close 2nd. How sad it is to see that 3000 in that condition. Surely you don't plan to rebuild it do you?

Off the back
    Yet another Miata owner here. Mine is a bone stock '07. Fantastic car. Still not sure if it makes me forget my AH Sprite or remember it. ;-) Seems cyclists are good judges of cars!

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    Yet another Miata owner here. Mine is a bone stock '07. Fantastic car. Still not sure if it makes me forget my AH Sprite or remember it. ;-) Seems cyclists are good judges of cars!
    Miyata - the modern day Lotus Elan.

Ricardo Cabeza
    OMG, the car of my dreams, in the 1960's, when I lived in the UK and was a mechanic was an AH 3000. To me it was the ultimate with a Sunbeam Tiger a close 2nd. How sad it is to see that 3000 in that condition. Surely you don't plan to rebuild it do you?
    I originally was going to part it out to fund the convertible, then after I posted on a British car forum people were begging me not to, or to sell it whole. So I was going to sell it on Ebay, but then Mrs69 said "hey you should do that one after the Chevelle" .

It's doable. I've seen worse cars brought back. The interesting part is going to be the aluminum although I discovered these guys, and they could make the process a lot more simple and easy:

Superstructure package

SuperAndy's Garage

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    I originally was going to part it out to fund the convertible, then after I posted on a British car forum people were begging me not to, or to sell it whole. So I was going to sell it on Ebay, but then Mrs69 said "hey you should do that one after the Chevelle" .
    It's doable. I've seen worse cars brought back. The interesting part is going to be the aluminum although I discovered these guys, and they could make the process a lot more simple and easy:
    Superstructure package
    OMG you have more b@lls that I have, and more facilities too. My hat is off to you. I see your Jules Enterprises is in Rockwood Ontario!! That's an hour's drive NE of me. Wouldn't you love to live that close to 'em? I can't imagine what a "new" AH 3000 would be like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    Here's the next project, after the vert is finished. To say it's a bit rough would be a slight understatement:

Absolutely love those cars. But man, good luck on that one. Looks like a parts car only.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast